Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading (Jan 2009 edition)?

Retired Threads
Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Wed January 14th, 2009, 5:37 am

I just started The Secrets of Jin-Shei by Alma Alexander. Thinking that I would read it, and then put it in the box to take to the secondhand exchange. But 50 pages in....and I am really sucked in! So far, I don't think it will make the box, and I will have to look out for the second book already! I am such a sucker for a series!

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed January 14th, 2009, 5:43 am

[quote=""cesco""]I hesitate to poke my nose in. My face is already crimson from all the kind words (being compared to Dunnett - wow! A dream). But I thought I should say that the 2010 date for FALCONER is the latest, but hardly solid.

I don't know the reason for the delay. I turned the ms. in in March of 2007, and was paid for it. The release date was set first for 11/08, then 12/09. Now it's 6/10. I expect in a couple months to see it change to 1/11. And so on. My only consolation is that FALCONER picks up eight years after MV. So perhaps St. Martin's mean to publish in real time.

Since FALCONER is the next Cesco book, the series cannot progress. Which is sad, as I have books 3 and 4 nearly done. But they've been shelved while I wander off to work on other things. Specifically, Imperial Rome, the building of the Colosseum, the Jewish War, and the writing of the gospels. I plan to have a draft done by March. After that? Hard to say. My heart is in Verona.

I write all this to say, thank you all for your kind words for THE MASTER OF VERONA, and I regret that it will be so very long before you see another book from me. Rest assured, I will make it a good one.

Cheers,
David Blixt[/quote]

Good to see you here, David!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed January 14th, 2009, 5:47 am

Posted by Cesco
I hesitate to poke my nose in. My face is already crimson from all the kind words (being compared to Dunnett - wow! A dream).
Dunnett's Lymond series was definitely what came to my mind when I read "Master of Verona", David - intelligent, complex plotting to keep the reader on their toes and guessing, rather like playing a game of chess. Cangrande is a bit in the Francis Crawford mould as well.
Thanks for the update - hope St Martins don't keep us frustrated for too much longer!

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Wed January 14th, 2009, 7:20 am

[quote=""cesco""]

I write all this to say, thank you all for your kind words for THE MASTER OF VERONA, and I regret that it will be so very long before you see another book from me. Rest assured, I will make it a good one.

Cheers,
David Blixt[/quote]

Hi David and welcome!

Whenever your next book comes out I will be making every possible effort to find it and read it because I totally enjoyed Master of Verona, and hope that the rest of Cesco's stories will be published.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Wed January 14th, 2009, 5:09 pm

Currently reading The Miracles of Prato.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Wed January 14th, 2009, 8:53 pm

[quote=""Telynor""]Now reading Dan Simmons' The Terror. Started that one after watching a NOVA programme on PBS about the Franklin Expedition. Very interesting so far. [/I][/quote]
I really enjoyed The Terror, but got bogged down in some of the ship detail at times and found myself skimming. Simmons provided some stunningly detailed action scenes and definitely drew me into an Arctic world. A very interesting book.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

cesco
Scribbler

Post by cesco » Wed January 14th, 2009, 11:38 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]Good to see you here, David![/quote]

Good to be here, Susan. Thanks for the note.

cesco
Scribbler

Post by cesco » Wed January 14th, 2009, 11:45 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]Hi David and welcome!

Whenever your next book comes out I will be making every possible effort to find it and read it because I totally enjoyed Master of Verona, and hope that the rest of Cesco's stories will be published.[/quote]

Well, before Amazon pulled the plug on its Shorts program, I put out two related short stories, one about Antony Capulletto and Giotto, the other about the Count of San Bonifacio. They're part of a series of shorts that I was planning to release to fill the gap between MV and FALCONER.

Meanwhile, I suppose I should talk about what I'm reading. Sadly, I read very little for pleasure anymore. I'm reading THE COMPLETE WORKS OF JOSEPHUS, as well as 69 AD - THE YEAR OF THE FOUR EMPERORS.

The last two books I read for fun was Susan's THE TRAITOR'S WIFE (which I enjoyed all the more for having recently seen Marlowe's EDWARD II on-stage) and the latest Spencer novel by Robert B. Parker. I have a thing for pulp detectives, and Parker does a reasonable job filling the shoes of Hammett and Chandler. I have Neil Gaiman's GRAVEYARD BOOK, but haven't had time to crack it yet.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu January 15th, 2009, 12:28 am

Posted by Cesco
'm reading THE COMPLETE WORKS OF JOSEPHUS, as well as 69 AD - THE YEAR OF THE FOUR EMPERORS.
Just a bit of light reading, then, LOL. Have you read Lion Feuchtwanger's "Josephus" trilogy, David? I've tried to get hold of it, but it's hard to track down at a reasonable price (unless you read German --it has been reprinted in Germany) It's supposed to be very good.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu January 15th, 2009, 12:44 am

Recently read The Immediate Family by Nalbro Bartley. One of several obscure books I picked up from my favorite new and used shop. Not bad. Had me wondering if I'm a kiwi.

Currently reading a book of Longfellow's best.

Return to “Archives”