Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading (Jan 2009 edition)?

Retired Threads
Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Mon January 12th, 2009, 11:04 pm

I just finished The Black Pearl, from the Morland Dynasty series... I'm hooked! I have several more books in the series on order from Amazon. My thoughts on the series thus far can be found here.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue January 13th, 2009, 10:40 am

I remember devouring his North and South trilogy after seeing the mini-series, but I havent read any of the Kent Chronicles. I've meant to, but I just haven't.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Tue January 13th, 2009, 11:39 am

I have fond memories of reading the Kent family chronicles as a teen. I think they were the first multi-generational historical series that I read, too. I have a feeling I'd be more critical of them today, but it was a series that had me hooked as a teenage girl. Should I be embarrassed that what prompted me to pick up the first book was the made-for-television movies of The Bastard and The Rebels with Andrew Stephens as Philip and Don Johnson as Judson?

I just finished reading Sabatini's Bellarion the Fortunate. Good book.
Last edited by Ludmilla on Tue January 13th, 2009, 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue January 13th, 2009, 5:27 pm

Just finished David Blixt's "Master of Verona" - I loved it. Darn! now I've got to wait for the next book in the series, "Voice of the Falconer", to be published . One site I checked indicated that it might not be released until 2010.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue January 13th, 2009, 6:02 pm

[quote=""annis""]Just finished David Blixt's "Master of Verona" - I loved it. Darn! now I've got to wait for the next book in the series, "Voice of the Falconer", to be published . One site I checked indicated that it might not be released until 2010.[/quote]

I will have to give that one another try. I picked it up when I had way too much going on in life and just could not follow it, it was way too busy.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue January 13th, 2009, 6:20 pm

Yes, it's very convoluted as befits Renaissance statecraft, full of complex plots and devious characters - nothing is quite as it seems. Definitely worth persevering with though

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Tue January 13th, 2009, 7:41 pm

[quote=""annis""]Just finished David Blixt's "Master of Verona" - I loved it. Darn! now I've got to wait for the next book in the series, "Voice of the Falconer", to be published . One site I checked indicated that it might not be released until 2010.[/quote]

Yay! I am so glad you liked it. I was one of my top 3 books of last year.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Tue January 13th, 2009, 8:41 pm

I keep hearing that it may make it out in December 09 but I suspect if it does it will be a 2009 book that comes out the last week to try and suck up as much holiday gift money as possible. Blixt is a huge favorite of mine and I'm trying not to get too enraptured until I read more from the man. But I think The Master of Verona was the first book that completely drew me into a period and set of characterizations since Dunnett's Nicolo books.

cesco
Scribbler

2010, if ever

Post by cesco » Tue January 13th, 2009, 11:14 pm

I hesitate to poke my nose in. My face is already crimson from all the kind words (being compared to Dunnett - wow! A dream). But I thought I should say that the 2010 date for FALCONER is the latest, but hardly solid.

I don't know the reason for the delay. I turned the ms. in in March of 2007, and was paid for it. The release date was set first for 11/08, then 12/09. Now it's 6/10. I expect in a couple months to see it change to 1/11. And so on. My only consolation is that FALCONER picks up eight years after MV. So perhaps St. Martin's mean to publish in real time.

Since FALCONER is the next Cesco book, the series cannot progress. Which is sad, as I have books 3 and 4 nearly done. But they've been shelved while I wander off to work on other things. Specifically, Imperial Rome, the building of the Colosseum, the Jewish War, and the writing of the gospels. I plan to have a draft done by March. After that? Hard to say. My heart is in Verona.

I write all this to say, thank you all for your kind words for THE MASTER OF VERONA, and I regret that it will be so very long before you see another book from me. Rest assured, I will make it a good one.

Cheers,
David Blixt

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Tue January 13th, 2009, 11:27 pm

Finished reading The Wild Hunt yesterday, and once Epinions gets the link together, I 'll be posting a review. Also finished The Vorkosigan Companion, a nonfiction guide to Lois McMaster Bujold's Miles V. novels -- very much worth picking up if you're a fan of them. Also some terrific insights on publishing and writing. That review has been posted.

Now reading Dan Simmons' The Terror. Started that one after watching a NOVA programme on PBS about the Franklin Expedition. Very interesting so far.

After that it will probably be CJ Cherryh's Regenisis, a sequel to her novel Cyteen.

Return to “Archives”