Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What is on your 2009 To do List?

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 2:35 pm

I've never gotten the big deal about cruises. My mom tried to get us to go on one for our honeymoon; nope, a trip down the pacific coast highway was more the ticket to me. I'd feel trapped on a ship; and all the food and entertainment is just so not me. Now, I'd take a trip down the Rhine, or the Mississipi. Otherwise, my feet on solid ground, thankyouverymuch, and the freedom to see what I want to see is more my style

Next summer (2010) is our 20th anniversary and we really want to go back to France. So our goal this year is to save money for next.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 4:54 pm

I am going on my first cruise this Feb. I am wicked excited about it. :D
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 5:22 pm

[quote=""Divia""]I am going on my first cruise this Feb. I am wicked excited about it. :D [/quote]

I've been on three cruises and loved them all. I hope you do too.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Alaric
Avid Reader

Post by Alaric » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 6:15 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Going to be interesting to see what happens after my next appointment with the knee doctor - they said the next step is.............horrors..............you all sitting down?

PHYSICAL THERAPY.

Guess in some ways the injury is going to be a good thing? We'll see. Other than that I'm not planning much of anything until I see the damage that the insurance company won't cover. Life is good. Maybe.[/quote]

I can really sympathise. What did you do to yours?

I dislocated my right knee just before Christmas in 2004, although I was lucky that I got away with little to no long-term ligament damage (nothing too serious). I did have some rehab on it - mostly walking/wading in a pool (which I hated as I can barely swim) and crunches in a gym - but nothing too intensive. It would not have been pretty had I done something a little worse, though, because it was never needed for me to have a surgery to fix anything. It would just heal on its own. But now, because there was still some damage that was never surgically repaired, I'm left with more or less a constant dull ache in my knee.

Knees really are a massive pain, aren't they? Such an important part of the body yet it breaks so easily. :( I've had some longer lasting side-effects from it too. The older sister of one of my friends is actually a physiotherapist/masseuse and she recently pointed out something I never even noticed when I was at his place and laying on the sofa on my stomach - subconsciously I put virtually all my weight on the left side of my body, pulling it that way (kind of like the tower of Pisa). Apparently doing that can lead to curvature of the spine and scoliosis, or developing a hunchback. :eek: The fact that I usually sleep on my stomach makes that even more unsettling, ever since she told me that I've now noticed that I can't stand flat-footed for very long (otherwise I get a throb of pain) and end up shifting all my weight to my left side. It's something I can probably only correct at the gym.
Last edited by Alaric on Sat January 3rd, 2009, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 6:48 pm

[quote=""Leyland""]I believe we have found our HFO cruise director! $500 sounds good to me. You can bring that darling grandbaby along, MLE!

High heat and intense sun gives me bad headaches and dizziness, so a rainy Alaskan cruise instead of a usual Caribbean one actually does sound like a winner to me. Good to know![/quote]

Alaska is the one that I am considering, and 500 would be very reasonable. I also got a notice from Celebrity that they are offering some specials this year -- if you can afford it, I am wagering that this is going to be a year to travel.

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 7:43 pm

I feel like I'm buried alive in clutter and bureaucracy. I can't do much about the latter, but I really need to make headway on the former.

Exercise more, is another. Maybe for every aggregated hour of reading, I'll squeeze in 10 minutes of exercise. Now that my husband bought an elliptical machine, I really have no excuse.

Further out, I'd love for us to be in a financial situation for me to quit my job. It used to be tolerable, but management has become increasingly inflexible and micro-managing, and I have no respect for the people I work for. I don't care about a career path or how much money I make. I just want to do something that makes me feel like I'm a productive human being rather than a doormat, and which helps us supplement our income and allows me the flexibility to take care of our kids (in elementary school).

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 8:37 pm

[quote=""Leyland""]I believe we have found our HFO cruise director! $500 sounds good to me. You can bring that darling grandbaby along, MLE!

High heat and intense sun gives me bad headaches and dizziness, so a rainy Alaskan cruise instead of a usual Caribbean one actually does sound like a winner to me. Good to know![/quote]
Naw, I'm no cruise director. I did a hitch in the Coast Guard, and the dh and I prefer to hike the mountains. We've had enough of boats! Our eldest and wife are cruise nuts, they find all the cheap deals -- since they are as broke as any young couple paying for housing in California -- and when the youngest finally got married, we wanted to find something we could do together for a week so all the spouses could get better acquainted. The cruise was an ideal venue for that, and the rain actually made it more effective for the purpose.

I have to confess that the opulence made me feel a little like a fish out of water -- what with all the NGO world poverty organizations we work with, sneaking off to the lounge to catch up on emails from personal friends living in places without so much as a flush toilet.

Our next big trip will be Pakistan. Mahmood's family has been trying to get us to come visit for years, and their feelings are starting to get hurt.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 10:39 pm

Work:
Get researching on the next project
Catch up with the ones on the go (hah!)
Move on up to the next level
Sort out passport so I can spread my wings a bit more.

Home:
Get the kitchen sorted out (hah! again)

Play
Book a couple of working breaks - Looks like being Yorkshire and Sussex to fit in with the work in progress and future work.
Start going out for walks again.
Read more books.

Health and well being.
Get those extra pounds off at the gym
Continue to deepen my spiritual awareness and sense of wonder.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 11:33 pm

[quote=""EC2""]Sort out passport so I can spread my wings a bit more.
[/quote]
Good reminder! Mine expired a year and a half ago and I keep forgetting to send it in for a new one. I had a dream last night about going to Egypt for some sort of ad hoc work project (not accounting though) and then realized I couldn't go overseas. So much for that adventure!

Must be a sign to get that new passport!
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat January 3rd, 2009, 11:56 pm

I've been thinking about doing this as well for my son and myself! Not that I can afford to go anywhere, but even if there is something cheap that comes up I am not ready at this point in time!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Return to “Chat”