Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Non-HF Writing

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Sat April 25th, 2009, 12:18 am

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Hmm, lately I'd say that would verge on the horror end of the spectrum. After a brief time spent in the land of fantasy fiction during the height of the bubble! :) [/quote]

LOL Agreed - to both parts! I remember having one homeowner calling me at the top of the cycle to tell me that my values were way off, she knew for a fact that her place was worth at least 25% more than I had given her. I told her that I was sympathetic to her passion for her home, but my responsibility was to report the facts as I found them, and not to re-interpret them to suit other agendas, which would make my work fiction. Her response was "Stephen King writes better horror than this!" "And CS Lewis writes much better fantasy!" (I shudder to think what that place must be worth 18 months later!)
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat January 8th, 2011, 5:42 pm

My newest manuscript is contemporary humorous romance...I think.

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sat January 8th, 2011, 8:16 pm

"Stephen King writes better horror than this!"
LOL! Probably true, but not in the way she meant it.

So far, I have had more success publishing nonfiction articles on historical topics than my historical fiction (though I am naturally hoping that will change after I finish writing the novel I'm currently working on). For anyone interested, there are links to some of my nonfiction articles on the "Articles" page at HistoricalNovels.info. There's one on Boudica, one on Joan of Arc, and one on Ali Ibn Ridwan, a rather interesting guy who recorded his observation of a supernova in the year 1006.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

wendy
Compulsive Reader

Post by wendy » Sun January 9th, 2011, 5:47 pm

I have written poetry and literary criticism in the past, but now concentrate on historical fiction. Unfortunately there's very little money to be made in the realm of academia . . . .
Wendy K. Perriman
Fire on Dark Water (Penguin, 2011)
http://www.wendyperriman.com
http://www.FireOnDarkWater.com

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun January 9th, 2011, 6:01 pm

Glad to see this thread revived. I missed it when I first joined. I wrote SF/F/H short stories (all of which I sold at some time or other); lots of non-fiction author interviews, book reviews, articles on writing for magazines. Most of these are now available on my website and blog. Most stuff I've written lately has been for my blog and others, so not making any money off it. :o
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Gabriele Campbell
Reader

Post by Gabriele Campbell » Sun January 9th, 2011, 10:14 pm

Hehe, my dirty little secret besides the Roman historical fiction and the academic non fiction about Mediaeval literature is a big, sprawling Fantasy epic. :)

It's actually some sort of Alternate Historical Fantasy set in a parallel version of 12th century Europe with magic and the place names changed (think Guy Gavriel Kay and Jacqueline Carey). I suck at worldbuilding and everything I've come up with was some sort of historical setting, so I decided to keep the maps. ;) Many of the characters are fictive but some borrow from historical persons - those dysfunctional Plantagenets for example are just too much fun. ;)

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Mon January 10th, 2011, 8:31 pm

My novel is my first foray into historical fiction (as a writer) - I also write contemporary short stories for the commercial women's market - plus non fiction articles and my local interest books.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

Return to “The Craft of Writing”