Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Non-HF Writing

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
Helen_Davis

Post by Helen_Davis » Thu January 1st, 2009, 3:13 pm

I write fantasy/ romance

TerriPray
Reader

Post by TerriPray » Wed January 21st, 2009, 1:58 pm

I write in several genres.

Romance, erotic romance, erotica, science fiction, fantasy, RPG material, short horror pieces, humor (primarily genre related)...

I write primarily for the e-book and small press market. However I've had two Black Lace acceptances, and one for short story in an anthology due out in May from Penguin.

Some of the stories I write have historical settings, but they're not straight historical fiction. They might be TT/Erotic romance, or Erotic Romance with a historical setting.
Currently reading through submissions ranging from alternative history to science fiction and fantasy.

Libby
Avid Reader

Post by Libby » Wed January 21st, 2009, 9:28 pm

I've only recently begun to write full length historical fiction. Previously I've written short stories for women's magazines and other publications, some children's stories and non fiction articles and books.
By Loyalty Bound - the story of the mistress of Richard III.

http://www.elizabethashworth.com

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 11:16 am

Short stories and modern fiction. That is when I write! I have my short stories and start of three novels on a memory stick!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Thu April 23rd, 2009, 6:18 pm

Journalist for the last 20 plus years. Freelancing for the last seven, which means I have moved out of writing only for newspapers to include magazines & websites.

Co-wrote a book (no intellectual property involved, simply writing skill) that is due out in late June; now working on a non-fiction book that will be out early 2009. Have proposal for a narrative NF book ready for my agent to send out this summer sometime (depending on the economy...)

No HF yet, so you are not alone!!

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu April 23rd, 2009, 6:41 pm

[quote=""Chatterbox""]Journalist for the last 20 plus years. Freelancing for the last seven, which means I have moved out of writing only for newspapers to include magazines & websites.

Co-wrote a book (no intellectual property involved, simply writing skill) that is due out in late June; now working on a non-fiction book that will be out early 2009. Have proposal for a narrative NF book ready for my agent to send out this summer sometime (depending on the economy...)

No HF yet, so you are not alone!![/quote]

What are the forthcoming books about? Inquiring minds must know!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Thu April 23rd, 2009, 10:46 pm

the one due out in June is about investing. Tedious read, unless you're a self-directed investor, I promise.

The second one, aimed at Jan/Feb release by Random House, is for a general audience -- narrative nonfiction, basically, what is Wall Street, really? And what went wrong? We're still debating the title, but it may end up as "Street of Dreams". (or nightmares, I suppose.) B&N and Amazon apparently favor very simple titles in the current economic environment -- who knew? About 20k words done, 70k to go, by mid-May. *cue hollow laugh*

Lauryn
Reader

Post by Lauryn » Fri April 24th, 2009, 12:38 am

Currently employed as residential real estate appraiser :eek: so not really certain if that's NF or horror. :p

Have dabbled (in a "never gonna see the light of day" sense) in short stories of all types.
Even the mighty oak was once just a nut that held its ground.

juleswatson
Avid Reader

Post by juleswatson » Fri April 24th, 2009, 8:19 am

Divia - isn't YA fantasy SOOPER popular right now? Sounds good to me!

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I'd read some dream sequences by authors you admire and see how they handle them, then try your own hand at it.[/quote]

Rowan, I third that. And you are lucky to have vivid dreams; they are such fun! Lots of writers including Stephanie Meyer and JK Rowling got their stuff from dreams. When I write intensely I seem to stop dreaming, so obviously there is a connection. I guess the trick (like sex scenes) is to use them for a specific reason, to move along plot and characterisation. Second, (esp if it's only one or two scenes) maybe you could write them in a different tense or POV to make them stand out from non-dreams. And third...write them how they come to you. You can always change it later at editing stage. I get bored with writing rules, and since I also deal with quite a lot of visions and various spiritual goings on in my books, I find myself just blurting out any old stream of consciousness sometimes. This is to try and bring across the more disjointed natures of our inner selves, which don't in fact sound like novel dialogue. Just go for it, take off the editor's hat - later you can change it to make more sense.

[quote=""TerriPray""]I write in several genres. Romance, erotic romance, erotica, science fiction, fantasy, RPG material, short horror pieces, humor (primarily genre related)...[/quote]

Blimey, Terri you get around genre-wise. That must be so much fun to explore so many different things. I'm in awe!
Author of Celtic historical fantasy
New book "THE RAVEN QUEEN" out Feb 22 2011: The story of Maeve, the famous warrior queen of Irish mythology.
Out now, "THE SWAN MAIDEN", the ancient tale of Deirdre, the Irish 'Helen of Troy'
http://www.juleswatson.com

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri April 24th, 2009, 5:12 pm

[quote=""Lauryn""]Currently employed as residential real estate appraiser :eek: so not really certain if that's NF or horror. :p .[/quote]

Hmm, lately I'd say that would verge on the horror end of the spectrum. After a brief time spent in the land of fantasy fiction during the height of the bubble! :)

Return to “The Craft of Writing”