Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

worst HF film

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed January 7th, 2009, 5:41 pm

I found Elizabeth: The Golden Age pretty tedious, plus all that build-up to the Spanish Armada...and then it was over in about 5 minutes! The first film was much better although it had its dull moments.

I enjoyed Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, it's great fun if you just treat it as a romp, and Alan Rickman is hysterical if a bit pantomime.

Carine
Compulsive Reader
Currently reading: Jonkvrouw - Jean-Claude Van Ryckeghem
Interest in HF: I love history
Favourite HF book: Can't pin that down to only 1 :-)
Preferred HF: Medieval, Tudor and Ancient Egyptian

Post by Carine » Wed January 7th, 2009, 6:13 pm

I was very very disappointed in the 300 as well, never even watched the end of it !

Braveheart is not just bad because of Mel Gibson and what he wore but also very very inaccurate historical wise !!
My partner, being a Scotsman was ranting about it !!

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed January 7th, 2009, 6:33 pm

OMG I LOVED 300. How is it racist? BTW, you guys werent the audience for this film. ;) My comicbook friends LOVED the movie.

Anyway, the worst film for me TOBG. YAWN. I didnt have high hopes but I thought it would be a little better.
Last edited by Divia on Wed January 7th, 2009, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Wed January 7th, 2009, 7:35 pm

Goya's Ghosts with Natalie Portman. It starts of well enough, then tries to cram three films into one and ends up as a total (imo) catastrophe. It is one of only two or three films that I can ever recall thinking, "If only I could get my two hours back".
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

chuck
Bibliophile

Braveheart

Post by chuck » Wed January 7th, 2009, 8:14 pm

[quote=""Carine""]I was very very disappointed in the 300 as well, never even watched the end of it !

Braveheart is not just bad because of Mel Gibson and what he wore but also very very inaccurate historical wise !!
My partner, being a Scotsman was ranting about it !![/quote]

Carine.....as I stated the inaccuracies go on and on and on....I apologize for my ranting on about it.......

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed January 7th, 2009, 9:05 pm

Chuck, Carine, I would be with you on Braveheart - although I am commenting on a film I have never been able to watch beyond the first half hour.
This is good though. "Loveheart' courtesy of UK comediennes French & Saunders. http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=8_6R0UWA_ ... re=related
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Wed January 7th, 2009, 9:28 pm

[quote=""michellemoran""]Goya's Ghosts with Natalie Portman. It starts of well enough, then tries to cram three films into one and ends up as a total (imo) catastrophe. It is one of only two or three films that I can ever recall thinking, "If only I could get my two hours back".[/quote]

I never bought the premise that the father left the safety of Amsterdam and moved his family to Spain to live as crypto-Jews. The writer should have let them be indigenous.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

Belili
Scribbler

Post by Belili » Wed January 7th, 2009, 11:41 pm

[quote=""Divia""]OMG I LOVED 300. How is it racist?[/quote]

Did you notice that all the brown people look monstrous and deformed and all the white people look buff and gorgeous? That the brown commanders are lazy and sexually androgynous and the white commanders are industrious and masculine? Except of course the Athenians, which are sneeringly referred to as homosexual because war is not their first perogative? (It's not just racist, but homophobic, too.)

And what makes that worse is the strong political overtones of the film that overtly try to compare the Persian War with the current world climate, in which "us" (i.e. America) = Spartans, "them" (i.e. the Middle East generally) = Persians, and "the rest" (i.e. the "ambiguously gay" Europeans) = Athenians. So those associations are not just made for the past historical story, but for the present.

Plus, I found the characters and dialogue totally craptastic. Which is worse.
BTW, you guys werent the audience for this film. ;) My comicbook friends LOVED the movie.
Me = comic book person. Me = hated 300. My fanboy friends also hated it.

I was really excited about the movie, too; pretty cinematography, one of my fave historical periods, based on a respected author's graphic novel, Gerard Butler in a leather speedo with a bunch of other hunky dudes all holding swords? Yeah, I put that trailer on my iPod and watched it perhaps 300 times.
Last edited by Belili on Wed January 7th, 2009, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu January 8th, 2009, 3:36 am

Well, if you go lookin for that stuff I guess you'll find it anywhere. Personally I just enjoyed a good ol' fashioned movie about war and asskickin.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Belili
Scribbler

Post by Belili » Thu January 8th, 2009, 4:16 am

[quote=""Divia""]Well, if you go lookin for that stuff I guess you'll find it anywhere.[/quote]

I don't. That movie beat me over the head with it. Its political message could not have been more clear. I did go with a bunch of liberal arts degree holders and I am one myself, but we all walked out with appalled expressions on our faces, even the fanboys among us.
Personally I just enjoyed a good ol' fashioned movie about war and asskickin.
That's what I was looking for--I love nothing better than mostly-naked men swinging swords around, and phalanxes, and maces, and... yeah--but alas, I found it not. It was the writer's political mouthpiece. With bad dialogue! "Freedom isn't free"!!!!!!!!?!!!?!!!???!! And that point, 3/4 of the people I was with chimed in, "It costs a buck-oh-five..."

And let's not forget "No retreat, no surrender." Just what I need, reminders of Sylvester Stallone movies in my comic book films!

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”