Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Roberta Gellis

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun December 28th, 2008, 5:03 pm

Thanks Leyland, I'm going to put that on my to buy list. I have a coupon of some sort from Abe and free shipping so I might have to pick up a few more of Gellis' books.

Edited. Crap both my Abe coupons had expiration dates. Off to Thrift Books and the library (they have Knights Honor so I can start with that series).
Last edited by Misfit on Sun December 28th, 2008, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri January 9th, 2009, 2:31 pm

I found this back list of Gellis' books on her website - it lists the series in order which is handy. I see A Silver Mirror is the fourth in a series that I'll now have to look up :o :p :) .

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri January 9th, 2009, 5:33 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I found this back list of Gellis' books on her website - it lists the series in order which is handy. I see A Silver Mirror is the fourth in a series that I'll now have to look up :o :p :) .[/quote]

Interesting Misfit. I wonder if the earlier ones in the series cover the earlier Bigods, or whether it comes from a different angle and set of characters. I'm still plodding through my Roman epic and won't be done with it until early next week. Then I'll start on The Silver Mirror. Masques of Gold has also arrived, so I'll be keeping that near the top of my TBR.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri January 9th, 2009, 5:47 pm

I have Masques of Gold as well, that just showed up this week with the rest of the Heiress series. I also have Fire Song ready to pick up at the library so that's going to be on the top of the pile so I'll let you know what it's about. It seems like I read in a review somewhere that this series might have more to do with the de Aix family over in France though. We'll see..

Aneca
Scribbler

Post by Aneca » Fri January 9th, 2009, 9:59 pm

I just finished A Tapestry of Dreams and enjoyed it. I think I have some in the Silver Mirror series but not that one.

I'll be interested in some opinions of Masques of Gold as one of my friends tried to read it and gave up. It was her first Gellis and I'm not sure if the story wasn't to her tastes or if it was Gellis' writing that didn't appeal to her.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri January 9th, 2009, 10:21 pm

The only Gellis book I've read was "Lucrezia Borgia and the Mother of Poisons", I wasn't that impressed by it.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Aneca
Scribbler

Post by Aneca » Fri January 9th, 2009, 10:26 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]The only Gellis book I've read was "Lucrezia Borgia and the Mother of Poisons", I wasn't that impressed by it.

SM[/quote]

I've read that one and wasn't impressed either but I really enjoyed the other books I've read by her.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri January 9th, 2009, 10:33 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]The only Gellis book I've read was "Lucrezia Borgia and the Mother of Poisons", I wasn't that impressed by it.

SM[/quote]

I think that's one of her mysteries isn't it? A whole different bag of goods than the medievals.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri January 9th, 2009, 10:34 pm

[quote=""Aneca""]I just finished A Tapestry of Dreams and enjoyed it. I think I have some in the Silver Mirror series but not that one.

I'll be interested in some opinions of Masques of Gold as one of my friends tried to read it and gave up. It was her first Gellis and I'm not sure if the story wasn't to her tastes or if it was Gellis' writing that didn't appeal to her.[/quote]

How'd you like that cover on Tapestry? Just about dropped my eyeballs when it came in :eek:

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun January 25th, 2009, 2:31 am

Some news from Roberta Gellis's latest newsletter: nine of her older books are going to be re-released soon by Cerridwen Press, first in e-format and then as trade pbs.

Return to “By Author”