Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Roberta Gellis

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Roberta Gellis

Post by EC2 » Sat December 27th, 2008, 1:03 pm

So I typed Roberta Gellis into UK e-bay while I was over there and saw a copy of Joanna for sale. I have this exact paperback at home. It's not as steep as some, but still going some. I guess in USA terms it would be about $60 and in Australia terms about $90.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROBERTA-GELLIS-JO ... 240%3A1318
Last edited by EC2 on Sat December 27th, 2008, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: problem with link
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Aneca
Scribbler

Post by Aneca » Sat December 27th, 2008, 1:06 pm

That's expensive! :-S
I also have a copy and one of these days I'm planning to reread the Roselynde Chronicles. The one I can't find is Desirée which I thought would be easier to find since it's more recent and an Harlequin edition...

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat December 27th, 2008, 1:51 pm

[quote=""Aneca""]That's expensive! :-S
I also have a copy and one of these days I'm planning to reread the Roselynde Chronicles. The one I can't find is Desirée which I thought would be easier to find since it's more recent and an Harlequin edition...[/quote]

I wonder why EC's is so expensive? First edition? There are listings for other editions that are quite a bit less.

As for Desiree, I got that from the library and very glad I did, it wasn't worth the price it's being asked for. It was quite dull, the bad guys were totally inept, the heroine so pure she bled sugar and the hero didn't do much but raise his....well...you know.....every time he looked at her.

Edited to add: Desiree was written after the rest of the series, I think as a promotional gimick when they were considering reprinting the series. It "fits" between the first two books in the series but you won't miss it at all - it doesn't add anything to Alinor and subsequent books. The only benefit (for me at least) was being able to see small bits where Simon and Alinor are happily married.
Last edited by Misfit on Sat December 27th, 2008, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aneca
Scribbler

Post by Aneca » Sat December 27th, 2008, 2:19 pm

I had heard Desirée wasn't as good as the rest of the series being lighter in history and heavier on romance. It's a shame really that it isn't in the same tone as the others especially if it's a middle book (I thought it was set after the others) and in the end I think the publisher did not reprint all the others did they?

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat December 27th, 2008, 3:42 pm

I was able to purchase Roselyne and Alinor new, with the new covers. I've only seen the others used and I seem to recall reading on the author's website that things fell through on the plan to republish the entire series.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat December 27th, 2008, 4:03 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]I was able to purchase Roselyne and Alinor new, with the new covers. I've only seen the others used and I seem to recall reading on the author's website that things fell through on the plan to republish the entire series.[/quote]

Yes, they didn't sell enough copies to justify publishing the rest. I have the full set in a number of editions, some paperback, some hardcover. I've also got Desiree, which was okay. A happy 3 stars from me as opposed to a grumpy 3 stars. I do think that the first 4 Roselynde's were the high point of RG's career and that Alinor was the stellar moment. I've got her Stephen and Matilda books too - Knight's Honour, Bond of Blood, Sword and the Swan. They're all good, solid reads, but they don't have the absolute sparkle of the first Roselynde's. Incidentally, with the Sword and the Swan, I detect echoes of Alinor's grandfather in the hero, Ranulf. I think she took that as the basis and then changed the back story slightly. In Knight's honour, she has Elizabeth of Chester marrying Roger of Hereford, and obviously didn't know at the time of writing that Roger of Hereford actually married one Sybilla FitzJohn, daughter of the lord of Ludlow.
Les proz e les vassals

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat December 27th, 2008, 4:34 pm

Knight's Honour, Bond of Blood, Sword and the Swan
Well, what a coincidence the other two Gellis books sitting on my stack are the last two of the three. I'll have to get KH first though.

It might be fun to do a Listmania on Amazon listing out her books in order and a brief what they are about. She's got so many and the reviews are so few and/or so old you really can't figure out what the story is.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sat December 27th, 2008, 4:40 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Well, what a coincidence the other two Gellis books sitting on my stack are the last two of the three. I'll have to get KH first though.

It might be fun to do a Listmania on Amazon listing out her books in order and a brief what they are about. She's got so many and the reviews are so few and/or so old you really can't figure out what the story is.[/quote]

Very true. I have no idea what Siren Song and Firesong are about. I've also got some of her Madelaine la Batarde mysteries in my bookstack at home. A Mortal Bane, Bone of Contention and A Personal Devil. Again, like the Stephen/Matilda books they're solid, enjoyable historical fiction. I haven't read her Lucrezia Borgia book though.
Les proz e les vassals

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun December 28th, 2008, 1:04 am

Went wondering through the Amazon reviews a bit today.

Masques of Gold Sounds like a bit of a murder mystery late in John's reign.

Sing Witch, Sing Death, regency gothic?

Winter Song. If I'm not mistaken from the review it sounds like a lead in to A Silver Mirror, the story of that book's older brother.

Dazzling Brightness. The first of a series on the Greek myths.

The Cornish Heiress. Apparently part of a Napoleonic series. Ah, The English Heiress is the first book.

There's plenty more, not quite as prolific as Plaidy/Holt but she's up there.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun December 28th, 2008, 3:57 am

I read The Dragon and the Rose and The Sword and the Swan back in the late 70's, and now barely recall what the stories/characters were about. So I just ordered one of the 10 cent copies of Dragon and Rose from Amazon. I guess it was for the fond memories as it's a 70's copy and has the cover I remember!

Thanks for the thread at GoodReads for reminding me that it's about Henry VII and Eliz of York, and that it's probably worth another read after nearly thirty years. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1117 ... d_the_Rose
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Return to “By Author”