Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Which book should be February 2009 Book of the Month?

Retired Threads

Which book should be Book of the Month for February 2009?

Company of Liars by Karen Maitland
13%
A Question of Guilt by Julianne Lee
13%
Signora da Vinci by Robyn Maxwell
8%
Forever Amber by Kathleen Winzor
8%
The King's Pleasure by Norah Lofts
21%
The Good Thief by Hannah Tinti
4%
Needle in the Blood by Sarah Bower
25%
The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss
8%

Total votes: 24

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Mon December 29th, 2008, 3:32 pm

That does sound interesting; Ive been interested in the early Norman days for a while, and would like to read more about the tapestry (and someday actually go and see the real thing!). So if my selection doesn't go, this one would be fine

BTW Is it possible to go to the old site to see discussions of past BOTM selections? Or are they totally gone?

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Mon December 29th, 2008, 4:04 pm

[quote=""Ash""]That does sound interesting; Ive been interested in the early Norman days for a while, and would like to read more about the tapestry (and someday actually go and see the real thing!). So if my selection doesn't go, this one would be fine

BTW Is it possible to go to the old site to see discussions of past BOTM selections? Or are they totally gone?[/quote]

Last time I looked, they were still there.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon December 29th, 2008, 4:47 pm

[quote=""chuck""]"Needle in the Blood" sounds interesting.....the little I know about Bishop Odo....He was not a lovable character especially after the conquest enacting the Norman way....I am interested in the Bayeux Tapestry so I will try to hold my piece until I get a chance to read it......[/quote]

I voted for A Question of Truth, which I read a few weeks ago. Needle in the Blood has been in my TBR pile for quite some time, so I would read that next if it is picked. Company of Liars also interests me and I think I will purchase it next time I buy books. If it is the BOTM, my next purchase will be sooner rather than later.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Tue December 30th, 2008, 6:41 pm

I voted for "Signora Da Vinci" because I read an ARC recently and was asked to blurb it; it's truly a marvelous novel that brings Renaissance Florence to vibrant life, plus it's the perfect "discussion" book because of all the interesting issues it raises.

I read "Needle in the Blood" this year and it is superb, one of the best written novels I've had the pleasure to enjoy. Likewise, Sarah Bower's "Book of Love" is magnificent. I'd follow her anywhere.

I finished "Company of Liars" over the Xmas holiday and was enthralled: it's dark and unexpected. Though promoted as a "Canterbury Tales" the resemblance is superficial; Karen Maitland's storyline is quite unique. I was surprised to read that some reviewers found it relentlessly grim. Go, figure. I loved the tone and will definitely read more by her.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed December 31st, 2008, 7:17 pm

"Needle in the Blood" is on my TBR list as well- I'm fascinated by the period of English history around the Norman Invasion.. I've just finished re-reading Sheelagh Kelly's "Jorvik", which is the story a an Anglo-Norwegian warrior called Sigurd. In his lifetime he sees many kings come and go, from Ethelred to Harold Godwinsson- it was a turbulent period.
Just for fun, here's an animated version of theBayeaux Tapestry

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed December 31st, 2008, 7:42 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""]I voted for "Signora Da Vinci" because I read an ARC recently and was asked to blurb it; it's truly a marvelous novel that brings Renaissance Florence to vibrant life, plus it's the perfect "discussion" book because of all the interesting issues it raises.

[/quote]

Hmm now I really want to read it. But alas I dont think it will be for the BOTM :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Wed December 31st, 2008, 8:26 pm

[quote=""Divia""]Hmm now I really want to read it. But alas I dont think it will be for the BOTM :) [/quote]

Well, Sarah Bowers' Needle in the Blood is also a wonderful choice. I just steeped in that book; her use of language is mesmerizing. "Signora da Vinci" is marvelous, too, so if you get a chance, do check it out.

In any event, both these authors are alive! (I have this thing about the Plaidy/Lofts/Barnes/Heyer re-issues. While more's the merrier, the sad truth is dead authors don't need royalties :) )
Last edited by cw gortner on Wed December 31st, 2008, 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Wed December 31st, 2008, 8:27 pm

[quote=""annis""]"Just for fun, here's an animated version of theBayeaux Tapestry[/quote]

Love this!
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed December 31st, 2008, 8:42 pm

[quote=""cw gortner""] (I have this thing about the Plaidy/Lofts/Barnes/Heyer re-issues. While more's the merrier, the sad truth is dead authors don't need royalties :) )[/quote]

True, but live readers need more wonderful books! :)

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Wed December 31st, 2008, 9:52 pm

[quote=""Ash""]True, but live readers need more wonderful books! :) [/quote]

Yes, that's true, too; I didn't think of that.

I just tend to think that re-issuing previously popular, late authors' works means less chances for an aspiring new hf author to break in, as re-issues are usually safer bets for publishers. However, if the re-issues sell well, that can also spur interest, so I guess it's a yin/yang thing.
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Return to “Archives”