Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Norah Lofts The King's Pleasure

Aneca
Scribbler

Post by Aneca » Sat December 27th, 2008, 1:08 pm

I never read her but based on your comments I just put her in the WL... Thanks for the recommendation!

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat December 27th, 2008, 2:03 pm

what do you mean by her house books? I've only searched for the two I got and the one on Eleanor such I haven't develed into her other works

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat December 27th, 2008, 2:29 pm

The author loved old homes and architecture; several of her books have a home as the setting for generational family stories. Look at Albiris site below, it gives a snippet of all of her books. Check out the descriptions for:

Bless this House (1500 to 20th century)

Wayside Tavern (starts at the end of Roman occupation)

Town House (1391)

House at Old Vine (1496)

House at Sunset (1700)

These books offer an introduction to her story telling as well as a good sense of historic detail during the time periods. This site also gives synopsis of her other histories as well as some mystery and romance.

http://www.alibris.com/search/books/aut ... s,%20Norah

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat December 27th, 2008, 2:35 pm

thanks they look rather interesting, which did you say to start with?

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Mon February 2nd, 2009, 1:48 am

Ok I read the Town House and the House at Old Vine and had to stop there, I can't stand to skip in a matter of paragraphs/pages whole generations. It probably doesn't bother most but I don't know how you can just skip generations like they are not part of the story, other then that it was an interesting story and point of veiw in which they were written.

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Thu July 30th, 2009, 4:11 am

My first (and only so far) book by Norah Lofts was Here was a man about Sir Walter Raleigh. I have to say that I'm gonna give her a second chance before I decide if I like her books or not. And the reason why I started off with this one cause it was on sale!
I had never heard of Sir Walter Raleigh before I read this book and I do not know if there is a lot documented about him either. Reading this book made me feel like Lofts had forgotten that there are people out there that don't know all the facts and therefore I felt that the book was empty. Does that make any sense at all?
I hope the "house series" will be a lot better.
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu July 30th, 2009, 4:15 am

[quote=""Veronica""]My first (and only so far) book by Norah Lofts was Here was a man about Sir Walter Raleigh. I have to say that I'm gonna give her a second chance before I decide if I like her books or not. And the reason why I started off with this one cause it was on sale!
I had never heard of Sir Walter Raleigh before I read this book and I do not know if there is a lot documented about him either. Reading this book made me feel like Lofts had forgotten that there are people out there that don't know all the facts and therefore I felt that the book was empty. Does that make any sense at all?
I hope the "house series" will be a lot better.[/quote]

I bought this one a couple of weeks ago, but haven't got around to it yet. Since this is when my knowledge of Elizabeth starts getting fuzzy, I'll be curious to see if I have the same impression!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Veronica
Avid Reader

Post by Veronica » Thu July 30th, 2009, 4:41 am

Well first all of all I hope you'll enjoy it more than I did (cause I didn't) and second of all it would be interesting to hear what you'll think about it. :)
"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Thu July 30th, 2009, 5:29 am

There is a reasonable amount known about Walter Raleigh, and he was one of those historical figures who featured in the schoolbooks of every English child at least into the early 70s (when I was disguised as a good little English schoolgirl in a straw boater that stank like dead fish when it rained). I think that approach is true of several of Lofts' books set in the better known period of English history, including the one about Richard the Lionheart and Blondel, the Lute-Player, I think it's called.

What I like(d) about Lofts is her lack of over-romanticism (the kind that is found in margaret Campbell Barnes's books, written at about the same time). I like Campbell Barnes' books as well, but Lofts is more true-to-life in the way she deals with characters. My faves of hers are the series that I see starting with Crown of Aloes and stretching through to the Concubine and a Rose for Virtue, also the Lost Queen (which tells the little known story about George III's youngest sister, who marries the King of Denmark and is imprisoned for adultery). The ones I didn't - they felt waaay too skimpy -- were the ones about Queen Eleanor and Esther. The 'house' books, like her suffolk trilogy (not reprinted yet) is bumpy, IMO. It depends on whether you like multi-generational sagas in a single book, which I tend not to.

There's another book about Raleigh that I know of, Queen's Delight, by Constance Heaven. Pretty sure it is OOP, however.

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu September 3rd, 2009, 6:16 pm

Just found this thread.

I am reading The Concubine again. I rather enjoyed it the first time. Enjoyed The King's Pleasure very much too. Have not read anything else yet. But I do have a copy of Here was a Man. And I will most likely purchase the reprint of the Lute Player when it comes out. Any other reissues coming out soon?

Return to “By Author”