Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Did You Get a Book for the Holidays?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun December 28th, 2008, 9:23 am

[quote=""Carla""]Would it be Making Money? If so, snap! I gather it features a run on a bank - prescient or what? (Pity the bank in question wasn't called Petra Borealis).[/quote]

Yes, that's the one Carla. Sorry not to answer yesterday.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Dani
Scribbler

Post by Dani » Sun December 28th, 2008, 6:08 pm

I got a 50 Gift card for Barnes and Noble and hubby recieved one as well which he passed on to me. I also recieved In the Shadows of Lions by Ginger Garrett. With My gift card I ordered The Chosen and Dark hour Also By Ginger Garrett and the non book item I ordered was the 2009 Tudors Wall calendar.

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Sun December 28th, 2008, 9:39 pm

[quote=""diamondlil""]Basically the same thing I think, except the cooking bowl in a slow cooker comes out from the unit whereas a crock pot was pretty much all in one.[/quote]

Nah, the crock pot I have passed down from my grandmother is older than I am and it's ceramic bowl comes out. In fact the heavy duty crock is almost stoneware like, is oven safe and is enormous. So it gets use making stews and cassoulets in the oven whereas the heating unit just sits on a shelf somewhere collecting dust.

Comparing the new slow cooker my sister has, I'd say it is merely an updated version that has a more sophisticated heating element and inner cooking surface liner and you can actually brown in them (at least this one you can). The old crock pots I don't think you really could. But essentially I think they are the same thing. It's just a marketing ploy to convince people that it is brand new and sounds better than "crock".

Just stay away from Sandra Lee and her semi-homemade SLop cookbooks. Another sister got one as a present from someone who obviously doesn't know my sister very well. It ended up serving as a read-aloud/laugh hysterically aloud entertainment Christmas morning.

Maggie
Reader

Post by Maggie » Thu January 1st, 2009, 9:08 am

I got:

Soul on the Street by William Roache.
I am Legend by Richard Matheson.
John Livingston Seagull A Story by Richard Bach.
Kafka on the Shores by Haruki Murakami.

lindymc
Reader

Post by lindymc » Thu January 1st, 2009, 11:40 am

I bought books as gifts for several other family members, but did not get a book myself so the day after Christmas I ordered a couple.

I did, however, get a lovely "book related" present -- a silver Thor's hammer amulet. After reading Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series last fall, I told my daughter, that like Uhtred, I needed one.
She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. (1873) -- Louisa May Alcott

LoisAnn
Reader

Post by LoisAnn » Thu January 1st, 2009, 6:29 pm

[quote=""lindymc""]I did, however, get a lovely "book related" present -- a silver Thor's hammer amulet. After reading Bernard Cornwell's Saxon series last fall, I told my daughter, that like Uhtred, I needed one.[/quote]

And now you're protected every day ... :)
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. ~ Charles de Secondat

LoisAnn
Reader

Post by LoisAnn » Thu January 1st, 2009, 6:50 pm

I did, indeed, get books for Christmas ...
  • Antony & Cleopatra, Colleen McCullough
  • The Spring of the Ram, Dorothy Dunnett
And, my daughter received Shadows & Strongholds & Lords of the White Castle by our own EC. Jenn refers to them as her "family history," as Fulke FitzWarin is a many-times great grandfather to my husband & daughter. A detail that thrills Jenn to no end - based solely on the wonderful way Elizabeth Chadwick brings characters & stories to life. She read Lindymc's copies of these two books a couple of years ago & was desperate to have a set of her very own!

Thanks, Lindymc, for all our beautiful books! :D
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. ~ Charles de Secondat

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Thu January 1st, 2009, 8:55 pm

I got a new thesaurus for Christmas! Yes, geek that I am, I'm thrilled. My old one was over twenty years old and falling apart.

No novels, though, since I have a giant TBR stack and my husband refuses to buy me any more until I finish those. :o
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

Return to “General Discussion”