Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Did You Get a Book for the Holidays?

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat December 27th, 2008, 1:15 pm

I want a slow cooker recipe book. Which one did you get Amanda?
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat December 27th, 2008, 2:41 pm

My step brother and my friend both got a slow cookers this holiday season. Hmm. seems to be the thing.

My friend also got a slow cooker book. I'll check the title. I know she kept on commenting that it had "nice color photos"
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Sat December 27th, 2008, 4:00 pm

[quote=""EC2""]I doubt it as I always buy my own books these days. Haven't opened most of the pressies because we're waiting for youngest son to come home from work. He's on a 12 hour shift today. I've bought him a Terry Pratchett novel for his stocking filler. I think the title's Money, but I bought it and wrapped it a while ago, so I can't remember![/quote]

Would it be Making Money? If so, snap! I gather it features a run on a bank - prescient or what? (Pity the bank in question wasn't called Petra Borealis).
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

nona
Bibliophile

Post by nona » Sat December 27th, 2008, 4:14 pm

I have a slow cooker low fat cook book, we've tried several recipes and they are great. I'll have to dig it out to get the title though.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat December 27th, 2008, 10:58 pm

[quote=""Carla""]Would it be Making Money? If so, snap! I gather it features a run on a bank - prescient or what? (Pity the bank in question wasn't called Petra Borealis).[/quote]

I've read this one. It was pretty good as normal for Pratchett!

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun December 28th, 2008, 2:53 am

I didn't care as much for Money as I have his other books, but I think it was because there just wasn't enough discworld in it for me. I'll be your son will love it!

Ok, catch me up on the lingo - is a slow cooker like a crock pot from the 80s? I had one for years, and loved it. Then it just stopped working and I never replaced it. Whats the difference between them?

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun December 28th, 2008, 2:56 am

Basically the same thing I think, except the cooking bowl in a slow cooker comes out from the unit whereas a crock pot was pretty much all in one.

Edith Wharton

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun December 28th, 2008, 3:26 am

Royal Road to Fotheringhay by Jean Plaidy is coming to me as the replacement gift from my mother for The Birth of Venus. I asked her for any Plaidy the bookstore had in stock and so chose Mary of Scotland over the only other Plaidy in stock, The Rose Without a Thorn, about Katherine Howard.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun December 28th, 2008, 4:23 am

Thanks Diamondlil - actually remembering now, thats one of the reasons I decided about not getting a replacement - cleaning it was a pain! But I'll have to check these new ones out

Its not a book, but the next best thing - Booklovers Page-a-day Calendar. My DH gets this for me each year. Many times the selections are ones I've read or knew about. But often I have found treasure. Tho I am bad and don't exactly wait for day to day to find books!

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun December 28th, 2008, 5:41 am

I've got John Stack's "Ship of Rome" on my TBR list , EC, so I'll be keen to hear what you think of it. It's due out here in the next month or two- I got an email from HarperCollins anoouncing its publication.

Return to “General Discussion”