Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Books for contests

Got a question/comment about the business of writing or about the publishing industry? Here's your place to post it!
Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Books for contests

Post by Julianne Douglas » Sat December 20th, 2008, 4:27 pm

I have a question for those of you who do book giveaway contests on your blog: Where do you get the books from?? Are they used copies that you don't want anymore? Do authors/publishers donate copies, and if so, how do you approach them? It seems like everyone gives away books these days, and I don't understand where they get them from.

Thanks!
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat December 20th, 2008, 4:39 pm

With the couple of contests I did, it was the publisher that contacted me and offered me the books to do a giveaway.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sat December 20th, 2008, 6:42 pm

I've done a few contests in conjunction with interviews, where the publisher or author volunteered to send out some copies as giveaways. I've also done one as a way of divesting myself of duplicate ARCs.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Sat December 20th, 2008, 9:25 pm

I've only done one but it was one where I read and reviewed the book then did a giveaway.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Sun December 21st, 2008, 4:33 am

After an author's publicity agent contacted me to ask if I would link to some promotional material on a book and I countered with a suggestion that she send a review copy instead, she countered with an offer for a giveaway copy. I declined it (don't know - maybe I should have accepted) because I haven't done this in the past at my website and wasn't sure how to make it work effectively. It kind of bothered me that she wouldn't send a review copy but would send a giveaway - as though she didn't have confidence that the book was good enough to merit a favorable review.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Sun December 21st, 2008, 11:32 am

Sometimes the publisher will donate copies. Sometimes the author. I ran a contest with my e-list reader group and the publishers provided 50% of the copies and myself the other 50%. Plus they (publishers) sent me some copies to send out as ARCs to a few people I knew, or sent them direct from their offices. The postage costs were the main shock :eek: :eek: I've been sent ARCS myself and I usually either keep them or pass them round the family.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 1:43 am

The only book I"ve given away on my blog was a recent release (at the time) that I bought when it came out, read it and then gave it away for my blog's one year anniversary.

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 2:26 am

Thanks for all the ideas! I know authors get very few copies of their books, so I figured this couldn't be the main source for book giveaways. My problem is that I could never give away books I love, and if I wasn't too keen on a book, I'd feel funny talking it up and giving it away in a contest. I don't have time to do many reviews, so I can't really request review copies. Hmmmm....maybe contests won't be happening too often on my blog. :(

On a related note--do you think contests really bring new/more readers to your site?
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 2:50 am

I probably get some new readers when I run contests, but more typically, I think it convinces a bunch of longtime lurkers to finally show themselves :)

The time I ran the giveaway with six books at once was my most-commented-upon blog post ever. That is, until my latest Tacky Covers post (when the Smart Bitches linked to me) - does their site ever get a lot of traffic!

Julianne Douglas
Avid Reader

Post by Julianne Douglas » Thu January 8th, 2009, 6:57 am

How funny--today I got contacted out of the blue by a publicist from Penguin with an offer of free books to give away on my blog! As soon as I get them, I'll post details.

Now, maybe if I post a question about how to get a book contract, an editor will call with one in a few days.... ;)
Julianne Douglas

Writing the Renaissance

Return to “The Writing Business”