Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Dejavu book covers

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Mon December 26th, 2011, 6:24 pm

Good catch!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue December 27th, 2011, 12:00 pm

[quote=""annis""]I happened to notice the other day the similarities between the cover of Elizabeth Chadwick's "Marsh King's Daughter"
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/eli ... ughter.htm

and the new version of Barbara Erskine's "Lady of Hay"
http://www.harpercollins.com.au/books/9 ... index.aspx

I guess that there are probably stock images which publishers have access to.

Sorry, still can't do images- I've given up :( [/quote]

No on this one. It's the same concept but not the same illustration. Mine was especially commissioned for W.H. Smith after they disliked the first original cover of MKD and would only stock the book if we redesigned the jacket - this was what was commissioned. Lady of Hay has a different horse, woman and building. Just the idea is the same.

I have an audio book version of the cover for A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver and We Speak No Treason on A Place Beyond Courage. I've seen my Greatest Knight cover used on a Portuguese novel. When we were looking for cover for The Leopard Unleashed, I was offered photos from the remnants of a Posie Graeme Evans photoshoot. We didn't use them in the end, but among the pics was the one that became the Vanora Bennet The People's Queen cover with the woman picking up her skirts to make an arc (looks as if she's examining it for a nasty stain!).
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "The Lantern Men" by Elly Griffiths
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Tue December 27th, 2011, 7:45 pm

I love that MKD cover, it's the copy I have. I think it's gorgeous. Agreed about the VB cover though - she looks as if she's checking to see if she's trodden in something!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon January 2nd, 2012, 3:07 pm

At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat February 18th, 2012, 1:00 pm

Here are a couple of similar covers I found today:

Image Image
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Mon February 20th, 2012, 9:45 am

I think the first Jacqueline Winspear/Maisie Dobbs novel had a very similar cover to those two, Vanessa, although if I remember rightly, it was more of a close-up.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon February 20th, 2012, 6:19 pm

Posted by Madeline
I think the first Jacqueline Winspear/Maisie Dobbs novel had a very similar cover to those two, Vanessa, although if I remember rightly, it was more of a close-
In fact it isexactly the same, though I hadn't seen this version until you mentioned it. The cover for this book which was available Downunder was quite different, with more of an Art Deco poster-inspired look.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon February 20th, 2012, 6:47 pm

So it is! Obviously very popular. LOL.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon February 20th, 2012, 11:07 pm

Oh my, look at these two.

Image Image
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue February 21st, 2012, 6:55 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]How does this happen?
[/quote]

It's erotica. Apparently the publisher can't be bothered coming up with unique ebook covers. I guess they figure horny people don't care about covers?

The one that's been driving me crazy is an overlay I keep seeing on literally DOZENS of Kindle books. I started seeing it so much, I actually started bookmarking them to see how many I could come up with, just for fun!

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

And there's more! That's just what the forum would let me post.

Most of it is, of course, just crap I've seen while browsing freebies and bargains on ereaderiq.com - it's clearly some cheap/free stock overlay that loads of self published authors and indie publishers think they can slap over any image and put some text on it and you've got yourself a book cover. Gag. One of the downfalls of Kindle - it's far too easy to publish anything, there's no filter.

But please, authors and publishers, I beg of you, STOP USING THIS OVERLAY. Thank you.

Return to “General Discussion”