Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

barry lyndon

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

barry lyndon

Post by Kveto from Prague » Tue December 16th, 2008, 10:08 pm

this is my favourite film. i know people love it or hate it. for me this is what a historical fiction novel should look like on screen. its ridiculously long but thats because ever little neuance of detail is included. kubrik invented a new type of camera that could film by candlelight so he could film indoors. it also makes his characters look like the paintings of the period (which were painted by candlelight)

so many fantastic scenes. the protagonist is so human, neither lovable nor despisable. the seduction scene is brilliant. five minutes of no dialouge. just barry staring across the table at lady lyndon with a brilliant piano piece (schubert im guessing) in the background. so much is said without words.

a link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fWiOinTzOs

this to me is what happens when you put a novel on film (i know the novel differs, but the feeling is that of a novel)

i cannot sing its praises enough.

Leo62
Bibliophile

Post by Leo62 » Tue December 16th, 2008, 11:31 pm

I must see this film again. I was taken to see it in my early teens and needless to say was bored rigid. It was a big flop at the time, but probably one of those movies that's ripe for reassessment.

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Wed December 17th, 2008, 7:09 pm

This movie was discussed on a Marie-Antoinette forum that I belong. Seemed to get good reviews.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed December 17th, 2008, 7:30 pm

Thackeray is one of my favourite nineteenth century authors. i haven't seen the film version of "Barry Lyndon", but loved the book. "Vanity Fair" is an all-time favourite. I didn't much care for the 2004 film starring Reese Witherspoon.For me the best take on the novel was the 1987 TV series adaptation.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Wed December 17th, 2008, 8:14 pm

[quote=""annis""]Thackeray is one of my favourite nineteenth century authors. i haven't seen the film version of "Barry Lyndon", but loved the book. "Vanity Fair" is an all-time favourite. I didn't much care for the 2004 film starring Reese Witherspoon.For me the best take on the novel was the 1987 TV series adaptation.[/quote]

i havent read the book "barry lyndon" although i might one day. im afraid it might affect my appreciation of the film in one way of another. (the same reason i wont see a film about a book ive enjoyed)

i think you might like barry lyndon the film. it has the slow leasurely pace of a good HF novel. no real trace of hollywood in there (which is probably why it bombed in the theatres/cinema)

parthianbow
Compulsive Reader

I absolutely loved it too!

Post by parthianbow » Tue July 14th, 2009, 8:39 pm

I have to agree with you there, Keny - an absolutely fantastic film. I got it out when backpacking in NZ in 2000 because I like the director, Kubrick (I'd never heard of the film before). It's also a time period which isn't hugely represented in modern film, but which is terribly appealing. I must get it out again!
Ben Kane
Bestselling author of Roman military fiction.
Spartacus - UK release 19 Jan. 2012. US release June 2012.

http://www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Sun March 7th, 2010, 6:59 pm

[quote=""parthianbow""]I have to agree with you there, Keny - an absolutely fantastic film. I got it out when backpacking in NZ in 2000 because I like the director, Kubrick (I'd never heard of the film before). It's also a time period which isn't hugely represented in modern film, but which is terribly appealing. I must get it out again![/quote]

When my local dvd shop went out of business, I bought their copy.

heres one of my favourite scences. its amazing what can be done without dialouge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FE1Y8Tw ... re=related

and heres a longer version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUQ4bmNu1dA

Perfect for HF fans.

Jemidar
Avid Reader

Post by Jemidar » Sun March 7th, 2010, 8:11 pm

Looks wonderful! I've now added it to my watch list...I mean how could you go wrong with both Thackery and Kubrick together.

Thanks Keny :) .
Jenny

"Well-behaved women rarely make history."
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Currently Reading:

rex icelingas
Reader

Post by rex icelingas » Wed March 10th, 2010, 7:20 pm

I think Kubrick is terrific what a legacy of film making

Certainly I think Barry Lyndon is well worthy of rediscovery as its one of the most sumptuous looking Historical dramas ever.Not really my period but I really loved it and was like most Kubrick work very easy to get absorbed into, great music also.

chuck
Bibliophile

Post by chuck » Thu March 11th, 2010, 4:10 am

I agree "Barry Lyndon" is a handsome film ....with the exception.... That Ryan O'Neil was miscast......

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”