Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2009 edition

Retired Threads
Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed January 21st, 2009, 11:11 pm

BTW, she's posted on a historical mystery list recently that the title was the publisher's choice, not hers.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu January 22nd, 2009, 12:34 am

[quote=""Ariadne""]BTW, she's posted on a historical mystery list recently that the title was the publisher's choice, not hers.[/quote]

Hmmm, hopefully I can get the library to pick it up...

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun January 25th, 2009, 11:22 am

I am very excited to see that Lisa See has a new book out this year. It is due out in May, and is called Shanghai Girls, and the cover is lovely!

If you check out here there are details of how you could possible win an ARC if anyone else is interested!
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun January 25th, 2009, 5:21 pm

That's one to watch out for , Diamondlil. She seems to have shifted period for "Shanghai Girls" to the 1930s. There's some info about the content here

I enjoyed both her previous historicals and her "Red Princess"mysteries are very good- I came across those first.

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sun January 25th, 2009, 10:12 pm

I've read the first of the Red Princess mysteries, and found it a little clunky, but I was intending to keep reading the series.

Her website also has some info about the content. It definitely sounds like something that will be good to read.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue January 27th, 2009, 12:23 am

For others who enjoy Lindsey Davis' "Falco" series - book 19 is due out in February, titled 'Alexandria".
I know that her MO of using a modern premise in an ancient setting annoys some, and I agree, if I want a series written with the correct mindset I'll read Steven Saylor, but Lindsy Davis makes me laugh and I regard her books as being in the same tradition as Wayne & Shuster's vey funny "Rinse the Blood off my Toga".

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed January 28th, 2009, 4:32 am

Added a bunch more upcoming titles to this page tonight:
http://www.historicalnovelsociety.org/forthcoming.htm

I need to go back through this thread and include some titles that others here have posted about.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed January 28th, 2009, 4:52 am

Lots of books that sound interesting coming out this year.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed January 28th, 2009, 6:25 am

Ariadne, I see several books on the HNS Forthcoming list which have been around here in New Zealnd for a while already. Does the HNS list operate on US publication dates? Here in NZ we get books as they're released in the UK.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed January 28th, 2009, 12:44 pm

Annis, that doesn't surprise me, and I know other books on the list have been out in the UK and elsewhere for six months or more. While the HNS is a joint US/UK venture (though some publishers from other countries send us review copies on occasion), I'm the sole contributor to the forthcoming books list at present, so it reflects the contents of publishers' catalogs I receive in the mail and have time to seek out online. I'd love to eventually find a volunteer or two to assist with UK publishers so the list was more comprehensive... until then, I do what I can :)

Return to “Archives”