Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2009 edition

Retired Threads
boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed December 24th, 2008, 2:10 pm

I was excited to find on Amy's blog that Vanora Bennett has a novel about Katherine of Valois, entitled Blood Royal, coming out in the UK in the spring. Lovely cover, too!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Royal-Van ... 2&sr=1-182

Her novel Figures in Silk has a new title for its paperback release, Queen of Silks.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Wed December 24th, 2008, 6:24 pm

Here's another one that might be interesting, about Jane Popyingcourt called Secrets of the Tudor Court. The author, Kate Emerson, has published under other names.

http://www.kateemersonhistoricals.com/
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat December 27th, 2008, 3:18 am

"Blood Royal" is a popular title- i can think of several books of that name including one by Mollie Hardwick and another by Diana Norman.
Katherine is an interesting and ultimately tragic figure. There's a useful article about her here

* Edit- i see that Vanora Bennett's "Blood Royal" is also listed under the title "City of Ladies". Initailly I thought that this must be aother book about Christine de Pizan, author of "The City of Ladies", but the synopsis and publication date are the same as "Blood Royal", so I'm not sure what that's all about.
Last edited by annis on Sat December 27th, 2008, 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Sun December 28th, 2008, 2:13 pm

[quote=""AuntiePam""]I have this on pre-order. I loved The Terror. I've read Simmons for years. He started out with horror fiction but I'm thinking he's found his niche with historicals, especially if he can work in some supernatural stuff.[/quote]

The Terror is my first Dan Simmons and I've really been enjoying this work so far. I agree with you, AuntiePam, and hope he continues to develop this niche combining HF and the supernatural. I'll definitely pre-order Drood as well.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun December 28th, 2008, 2:42 pm

[quote=""annis""]
* Edit- i see that Vanora Bennett's "Blood Royal" is also listed under the title "City of Ladies". Initailly I thought that this must be aother book about Christine de Pizan, author of "The City of Ladies", but the synopsis and publication date are the same as "Blood Royal", so I'm not sure what that's all about.[/quote]

Oh, I didn't know about Pizan novels. Ive been fascinated by her for a long time. Titles, please?

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sun December 28th, 2008, 11:36 pm

Sorry, Ash, but I don't know of any novels about Christine de Pisan, which is why I got briefly excited by Vanora Bennett's "City of Ladies" , before I realised it another title for her book about Katherine de Valois. Christine is a fascinating subject, and I don't know why sh's been neglected in HF. Not only did she support herself and her family through her writing, but she also took a strong interest in the actual production of her works.
http://www.ripleyonline.com/Under%20Dis ... istine.htm

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Tue December 30th, 2008, 3:18 am

Susan Holloway Scott continues her books on Charles II's mistress with "The French Mistress: A Novel of the Duchess of Porthsmouth and King Charles II" out July 7th. I've read the one about Barbara, Countess of Castlemaine ("Royal Harlot") and plan to eventually read her one about Nell Gynne ("The King's Favorite"). I'm putting it on my Wishlist so I can remember to ask BF to get it when it's in paperback.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Wed December 31st, 2008, 12:30 am

Here are a couple more that are coming out, at least in the US, this next year:

Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict, by Laurie Viera Rigler (sequel to True Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict). Not really HF per se, but a 19th century character does get stranded in the body of a 21t century charactrer...

The Book of Love, by Sarah Bower. Set in 15th century Italy. It's out in the UK, and coming over to the US in April. It reminds me that I should probably get cracking on Needle in the Blood sometime soon.

If you're in the US, save the date for June 16th: Carlos Ruiz Zafon's next book, The Angels Game, is coming out. A prequel to Shadow of the Wind; set in 1920s Barcelona. I heard about this last, um, April, when it was announced in Publisher’s Lunch that the rights had been sold here, but then I promptly forgot about it. Did you know that Zafon wrote four YA novels as well?

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Wed December 31st, 2008, 3:05 am

[quote=""Kasthu""]If you're in the US, save the date for June 16th: Carlos Ruiz Zafon's next book, The Angels Game, is coming out. A prequel to Shadow of the Wind; set in 1920s Barcelona. I heard about this last, um, April, when it was announced in Publisher’s Lunch that the rights had been sold here, but then I promptly forgot about it. Did you know that Zafon wrote four YA novels as well?[/quote]

Two of hsi YA books were set to be released in english in the U.S. but they were pulled off a set schedule pending the release of The Angel's Game. Originally the U.S. release of TAG was set for late fall and that left room for the english reprints in the beginning of the year. Still if TAG gets the attention it should (it's brilliant in poor spanish!), I expect the first book in La Niebla trilogy could be back in english release for late fall /pre-holiday.

Sara Gruen also has her new one coming out in June. Ape House is the title I believe.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu January 1st, 2009, 1:12 am

Does anyone have a publication date for the second book in Tim Willocks' "Tannhauser" trilogy? It was supposed to be coming out in 2008, but there appears to be no sign of it, though at one stage I did find out a bit about its subject from an author interview:

<I'm working on the next installment of The Tannhauser Trilogy, in which our hero finds himself and his loved ones in the direst straits imaginable in the Huguenot Wars of France, specifically, the Saint Bartholomew Massacres, in Paris and elsewhere, in 1572. It's considered among the most complex periods in European history. The conflict between Catholics and Protestant Huguenots was the fulcrum upon which these wars balanced, but they were also the vehicle for a dynastic political struggle between major aristocratic families - Valois, Bourbon, Châtillon and Guise - for control of the French throne. Regional and local vendettas, the ambitions and discontents of a warlord nobility whose allegiance to the crown was often tenuous, financial opportunity and economic disaster, the presence of unpaid foreign mercenary armies, a simmering international crisis, and fatal weaknesses - moral and otherwise - in the personalities of the ruling royal house of Valois, all contributed to a general collapse of law and order, a culture of intrigue, treachery and assassination, and repeated civil wars of unusual and uninhibited barbarity. This is the landscape across which the drama unfolds, and you will find Tannhauser stepping up to the mark with his usual elan.>

Return to “Archives”