Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2009 edition

Retired Threads
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat December 20th, 2008, 11:11 pm

Posted by Sheramy
I'm hoping Elizabeth Peters will have a new Amelia Peabody mystery in 2009, but I haven't heard if she will or not.
Doesn't look like it at this stage, Sheramy, but she has dusted off Vicky Bliss for another outing next year, in a book called "Laughter of Dead Kings"

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Sat December 20th, 2008, 11:16 pm

Laughter of Dead Kings came out in June of this year. It might be coming out in paperback or something next year.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

gyrehead
Reader

Post by gyrehead » Sun December 21st, 2008, 12:05 am

I struggled through the first book in french so I'm pleased to hear that it is getting a reprint. It would seem logical for a reprint to indicate a full publication of the series.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sun December 21st, 2008, 2:26 am

[quote=""annis""]This new version of "Road to Jerusalem" is published by Harper, so maybe they intend to put out the whole trilogy in English translation?

There was also a follow-up novel, called "Heritage of Arn", about the founder of Stockholm, Birger Magnusson, fictionalized as Arn Magnusson's grandson. That one hasn't been published in English either.[/quote]

The ARC says that it's first in a trilogy, which makes me think they intend to publish them all. They're hardcovers, though, so we may see no more than one a year. I remember seeing the cover art for v.3 on Amazon UK a while ago, so it had been going to be published... then I read somewhere that publication was cancelled. In the US, it's called a trilogy of the Knights Templar rather than the Crusades (a selling point, obviously).

Interesting about the follow-up novel, thanks for the info! I'd be surprised if we see an English-language version of that one - I'm guessing there are no Knights Templar in it. I'm horribly cynical :D

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 4:01 am

Posted by Diamondlil
"Laughter of Dead Kings" came out in June of this year. It might be coming out in paperback or something next year.
That's interesting, Diamondlil, I missed that as I haven't seen it around.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 4:11 am

Posted by ariadne
Interesting about the follow-up novel, thanks for the info! I'd be surprised if we see an English-language version of that one - I'm guessing there are no Knights Templar in it. I'm horribly cynical
You'd have to suspect that the interest in publishing an English version of Jan Guillou's trilogy has something to do with the current craze for all things Templar.
Still it's all good if it means that we get to actually read his work. There are so many great historical fiction writers whose work we don't get to read because it's not available in English translation.
For example, I'd really like to read the novels of Estonian author Karl Ristikivi but as far as I know they've never been published in English.

chuck
Bibliophile

Templars

Post by chuck » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 6:24 pm

:cool: [quote=""annis""]Posted by ariadne

You'd have to suspect that the interest in publishing an English version of Jan Guillou's trilogy has something to do with the current craze for all things Templar.
Still it's all good if it means that we get to actually read his work. There are so many great historical fiction writers whose work we don't get to read because it's not available in English translation.
For example, I'd really like to read the novels of Estonian author Karl Ristikivi but as far as I know they've never been published in English.[/quote]

Annis....The Templar craze is bothersome.....My huge interest goes back to the "Ivanhoe" novel and films that created the complexity of being a Knight Templar....read many NF/HF books and they are still a mystery to me.....Since Brown's "The Da Vinci Code" the Templars are very hot item.....in a earlier post I mentioned that NBC TV will put Kourhys "Last Templar" into a four mini-series sometime in the new year....Yes I read it...and it read like a screenplay(surprize) and it was a bit cheesy in parts....I haven't changed... still chasing the legendary tales of Lost Eagles, Arthur, Romano/Brits, early Saxons/Normans, Vikings, and the Crusades....I will dally at times with other eras....especially in films....I enjoyed the "Dark Knight" quite disturbing and very dark....Ledger is brilliant.....I prefer the Batman character as a vigilante and not a good guy crusader.....BTW Cruise's "Valkyrie" is a bomb....heard it was a handsome looking film..... Cruise's role Von Stauffenberg demands someone who can act.....I will still watch V at some point......Annis your posts are always interesting, informative and enjoyable.....BTW your reviews on Margaret's site are terrific.......

Kasthu
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kasthu » Mon December 22nd, 2008, 9:10 pm

Has this been mentioned yet? The seventh book in the Outlander series is coming out next year as well--next fall, I believe. I'm not a Diana Gabaldon fan, but I do know of people who will be excited.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue December 23rd, 2008, 6:36 am

Posted by Kasthu
The seventh book in the Outlander series is coming out next year as well--next fall, I believe
I haven't been able to work out exactly when "Echo in the Bone" is due out- some sites say early 2010- maybe someone knows the answer?
For those who want a taste, there are a few excerpts from the book here, though they may not appear in this form in the book, or even at all.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue December 23rd, 2008, 6:45 am

Chuck - Thanks for your kind remarks- I enjoy writing the reviews, so I 'm pleased to know that you enjoy reading them. They're more of an attempt to capture something of the essence of a book I've read rather than a serious literary critique.

"The Da Vinci Code" has a lot to answer for! It's not only responsible for Templarmania, but a plethora of books with a similar plotline- ancient artifact/conspiracy/desperate race to solve mystery ahead of villians etc., etc. -- seems as if everyone's jumping on the bandwagon :)

"Dark Knight" was very good- pity it was Heath Ledger's swansong.
Last edited by annis on Tue December 23rd, 2008, 6:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Archives”