Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2009 edition

Retired Threads
Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed April 29th, 2009, 7:25 am

It doesn't really tell much, does it, so I looked it up on Amazon! I loved The Historian so I shall be interested to read this one.

I notice Kate Mosse has a new book out about the same time:

The Winter Ghosts
March 1928. The Great War has been over for ten years, but Freddie Abrahams still hasn't recovered from the loss of his brother. Even now, on holiday in south-west France, he cannot escape his grief. When his car crashes, Freddie stumbles down from the hills to a village nearby. There he meets Marie, a beautiful young woman who is also mourning a lost generation. Her story of the fate of her family moves him deeply. But it will also lead Freddie to the caves above the village - and to the heart of a shocking secret. By turns thrilling, poignant and haunting, this is a story of two lives touched by war and transformed by courage. THE WINTER GHOSTS is the gripping new adventure from the number-one bestselling author of LABYRINTH and SEPULCHRE.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Fear on the Phantom Special" by Edward Marston
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime

Post by Madeleine » Wed April 29th, 2009, 10:20 am

I loved The Historian too, and also like Kate Mosse, so...bring them on!

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Wed April 29th, 2009, 5:39 pm

[quote=""gyrehead""]I'm still thinking BookDepository has to have some hidden flaw. It is owned by the newly returned anti-christ, launders drug or weapons money, or maybe is owned by Tom Cruise and Scientologists. Something just does not add up. Free shipping; competitive discounts and timely service. Nothing can be that good. I promise to continue using them until I get to the bottom of it![/quote]

Anything but Tom Cruise! Please.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Wed April 29th, 2009, 5:40 pm

[quote=""gyrehead""]Funny that, those were exactly my thoughts for her first book.

Funny that, those were exactly my thoughts for her first book.[/quote]

I think I've just found the two lost twins of my evil cabal . . .
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu April 30th, 2009, 2:34 am

Posteb by CW
Anything but Tom Cruise! Please.
I' still in shock following reports that Tom Cruise wants to do a remake of "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", starring himself (of course) and John Travolta. Too awful to contemplate!

chuck
Bibliophile

Travolta and Cruise

Post by chuck » Thu April 30th, 2009, 3:19 am

:mad: [quote=""annis""]Posteb by CW

I' still in shock following reports that Tom Cruise wants to do a remake of "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", starring himself (of course) and John Travolta. Too awful to contemplate![/quote]

Hello Annis....Hard to believe those two would even contemplate the great Classic....Both have turned into hacks and buffoons.....TC will probably push Katie Holmes to play Etta Place (yikes).....I hope he doesn't get the funding....Can't believe PN gave his blessing.....I doubt very much RR will condone it......It is so ridiculous....

rebecca191
Reader

Post by rebecca191 » Mon May 4th, 2009, 12:29 am

[quote=""gyrehead""]I'm still thinking BookDepository has to have some hidden flaw. It is owned by the newly returned anti-christ, launders drug or weapons money, or maybe is owned by Tom Cruise and Scientologists. Something just does not add up. Free shipping; competitive discounts and timely service. Nothing can be that good. I promise to continue using them until I get to the bottom of it![/quote]

After getting 10-15 perfect orders from them I got a badly damaged book and they want me to pay to return it, even though on their website it says it's only the customer's responsibility to pay for returns if the item is not faulty. Badly damaged (the actual HARD COVER has a large tear in it! and the padded mailer was in perfect condition so it didn't happen in the mail, most likely. the dust jacket is in bad condition as well. This was a new book I ordered not used.) Ugh! I guess the good luck with them had to end eventually.

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Mon May 4th, 2009, 12:54 am

[quote=""annis""]I'm still in shock following reports that Tom Cruise wants to do a remake of "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid", starring himself (of course) and John Travolta. Too awful to contemplate![/quote]
If Cruise and Revolta get a Butch and Sundance remake filmed, then it won't matter about forthcoming books, folks, because the end is surely nigh! :D That Newman/Redford movie is the classic buddy film and there is no way those two Scientology buddies can even come close to capturing the magic of the original.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon May 4th, 2009, 1:41 am

[quote=""Leyland""]If Cruise and Revolta get a Butch and Sundance remake filmed, then it won't matter about forthcoming books, folks, because the end is surely nigh! :D That Newman/Redford movie is the classic buddy film and there is no way those two Scientology buddies can even come close to capturing the magic of the original.[/quote]

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Please, just leave well enough alone.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon May 4th, 2009, 2:38 am

An update for those who are reading Bernard Cornwell's "Saxon Stories"--Book 5 now has a title, "The Burning Land" It will be published in the UK in October of this year and in the US in January of next year.
Synopsis:
In the last years of the ninth century, King Alfred of Wessex is in failing health, and his heir is an untested youth. The Danes, who have failed so many times to conquer Wessex, smell opportunity! First comes Harald Bloodhair, a savage warrior leading a Viking horde, who is encouraged to cruelty by his woman, Skade. But Alfred still has the services of Uhtred, his unwilling warlord, who leads Harald into a trap and, at Farnham in Surrey, inflicts one of the greatest defeats the Vikings were ever to suffer. This novel, the fifth in the magnificent series of England's history tells of the final assaults on Alfred's Wessex, that Wessex survived to become England is because men like Uhtred defeated an enemy feared throughout Christendom.

Return to “Archives”