Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2009 edition

Retired Threads
EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue April 21st, 2009, 9:38 am

I don't mind it, but it's not immediately WOW! I do think it will look better in the flesh in a bookshop though. Notice 'Queen' in the title again!
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Fri April 24th, 2009, 10:06 pm

Well, I've got Michelle's book on pre-order from Amazon UK, as I've decided I don't want to wait until September. (And there's the allure of a cover with a woman with a head on her...) Grrr, an extra 7 quid in shipping costs....

Could it be that when they say paperback, they are thinking of those export paperback editions, which sometimes appear simultaneous with HC, but only in airports and for mail order?

I'm really looking forward to Wolf Hall (Hilary Mantel), which should be coming soon from the UK. Also on order from there is Vanora Bennet's latest, about Catherine de Valois.

In the category of headless women, I notice something by Emma Campion about Alice Perrers, the mistress of Edward III. Anyone heard any buzz about this?

I'm looking forward to Robert Harris's latest; was very disappointed when it didn't appear when originally scheduled last year. There are some historical mysteries I'm looking forward to, as well.

Lisa See's latest is very good, got an ARC via Amazon.

I think the round robin novel idea is absolutely brilliant!

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri April 24th, 2009, 10:19 pm

Chatterbox do you know about The Book Depository? It is a UK bookstore, so you can get those UK editions, but they have free postage to quite a few countries around the world, including the US.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri April 24th, 2009, 10:34 pm

Posted by Chatterbox
In the category of headless women, I notice something by Emma Campion about Alice Perrers, the mistress of Edward III. Anyone heard any buzz about this?
There was a thread earlier about this novel:
http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... ma+campion

Emma Campion is a pseudonym for Candace Robb, who has written medieval historical mysteries featuring characters Owen Archer and Margaret Kerr

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Sat April 25th, 2009, 1:43 am

Annis, thanks! Then I will definitely seek it out as I've enjoyed much of Candace Robb's work. And will do so directly via the Book Depository... Misfit had mentioned that to me, but I have been using up my Xmas/b-day gift certificates. (Let's just say I have everyone very well trained on that by now...)

A rather offbeat entrant into the HF arena is Maeve Haran, who had previously written chick lit, but now has a HF paperback out. It's on order from the UK right now.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sat April 25th, 2009, 4:38 pm

Is the Maeve Haran one called The Lady and the Poet? If so, I bought it fairly recently so it's on my TBR pile!
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Sat April 25th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Chatterbox: Could it be that when they say paperback, they are thinking of those export paperback editions, which sometimes appear simultaneous with HC, but only in airports and for mail order?
That's possible. I can never keep up with all of their different editions in the UK! Airport editions, bookstore editions (in trade, paperback, hardcover), editions just for libraries...
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Chatterbox
Bibliophile

Post by Chatterbox » Sat April 25th, 2009, 5:52 pm

Vanessa, yup, that's the one. (No headless ladies, AND John Donne; great combo)

Just placed an entire series of orders on Book Depository, saving me scads of money that I can now spend on more books. Stay tuned for news of my bankruptcy filing...

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Sat April 25th, 2009, 6:11 pm

Posted by Chatterbox
Just placed an entire series of orders on Book Depository, saving me scads of money that I can now spend on more books. Stay tuned for news of my bankruptcy filing...
LOL! When I first discovered BD Ithought "wow, this is going to save me heaps of money!", but you guessed it- I just spend all the saved money on yet more books -sigh--

* Edit- I was a bit surprised to discover that Maeve Haran has written a historical novel- a definite departure in genre for her. You might be interested in this article Ariadne posted. in which Maeve Haran discusses the difficulties of writing good sex scenes; a must in any novel about John Donne :)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/book ... words.html
Last edited by annis on Sat April 25th, 2009, 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Sat April 25th, 2009, 9:03 pm

My copy of The Lady and the Poet arrived yesterday, after ordering it via BD on Monday. (Yep, before I found that article about the sex scenes, why do you ask? :D )

I'm amazed I can get books from overseas within four days. I live in a pretty small town, and sometimes mail from the next town over takes longer than that.

Return to “Archives”