Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2009 edition

Retired Threads
cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Fri April 17th, 2009, 7:25 pm

Regarding the new PG cover: I like the graphic elements, but the woman in the "bubble" looks like she's from a cheap 1970s TV costume drama. Is she supposed to be the allegedly bewitching Elizabeth Woodville?

And I just looked up the US cover, where they've bled her onto the cover in full, with a cracked-painting effect and the graphic element clinging to the top half of the book, obscuring her face. Interesting . . .

It does appear as though we've come to the long anticipated end of the headless woman cover. My paperback might be one of the last examples of this time-honored and completely overdone trend :)
Last edited by cw gortner on Fri April 17th, 2009, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri April 17th, 2009, 7:42 pm

I can't find the US cover :( I must say that the UK one reminds me of a confused woman in a bubble.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri April 17th, 2009, 7:43 pm

Yes, that woman is not at all how I imagine Elizabeth Woodville, who whatever else she may have been, was unreservedly described as a great beauty.

I see that "The White Queen" is the first in a proposed "War of the Roses" trilogy, with the other two being tentatively titled "The White Princess" and "The Red Queen" - publication dates yet to be announced.

*Edit- I see that PG says the "War of the Roses" series may extend beyond a trilogy. From her website:
"i have started work on a new series which I think may end up being more than a trilogy – the first one released will be called The White Queen and will be about Elizabeth Woodville who is a marvellous character, then will follow the others, but I cant say more about them yet until I am further into the work".

I guess she must (finally) be all Tudored out.
Last edited by annis on Fri April 17th, 2009, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Fri April 17th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Here's the link to download the Touchstone / Fireside catalog. PG's book is on page 50.

http://www.simonandschuster.net/content ... 364&tab=31
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri April 17th, 2009, 8:00 pm

Thanks CW, I was wondering where you'd found that cover! I still think that woman looks very sour and pinch-faced- not like someone who'd attract and keep the attention of Edward IV.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Fri April 17th, 2009, 8:20 pm

You're welcome!

So, PG has the poor Plantagenets in her sights . . . I hear various skeletons rolling over in their tombs.
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Fri April 17th, 2009, 8:36 pm

The world really doesn't need another novel that portrays Elizabeth Woodville as a manipulative witch...

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Fri April 17th, 2009, 9:20 pm

Yes, it's hard to get an unbiased picture of Elizabeth Woodville, as much of the history of the period was written by those who resented her influence over the King.

I'm guessing that the Red Queen will be Margaret of Anjou. Just had the thought that the War of the Roses does lead inevitably back to the Tudors--

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Fri April 17th, 2009, 9:39 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Here's one for The Queen's Mistake by Diane Haeger (release this fall). Not exactly sure what it's about though except it's set in the court of Henry VIII:

http://www.amazon.com/Queens-Mistake-Co ... EGK5AEPKX5

Pretty dress and at least she has a head!

[/quote]

I'm not keen. Glossy red dress looks from here like it's almost made of plastic. I wouldn't be beguiled into buying it by that cover.
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri April 17th, 2009, 9:55 pm

[quote=""Tanzanite""]Here's one for The Queen's Mistake by Diane Haeger (release this fall). Not exactly sure what it's about though except it's set in the court of Henry VIII:

http://www.amazon.com/Queens-Mistake-Co ... EGK5AEPKX5

Pretty dress and at least she has a head!

[/quote]

Interesting. I can only guess its one of the queens that lost her head. But maybe I'm wrong.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Archives”