Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2009 edition

Retired Threads
Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu April 16th, 2009, 12:59 pm

Oh! I didnt know they were sisters. Yeah the last two Avalon books were by Paxson herself. She also helped penned some of the other books. She has taken over writing them.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri April 17th, 2009, 2:54 pm

Here is the link on Amazon for the US cover for Michelle's new book. I like the UK one better:

http://www.amazon.com/Cleopatras-Daught ... EGK5AEPKX5

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Fri April 17th, 2009, 4:06 pm

My gosh Tanzanite - you get to these things before I do!!!! I had no idea it had been uploaded to Amazon. Thank you!

Personally, I like the US one better. I wonder if this will be a US/UK-Australia divide...

Here are some of the different images and colors we went through. Firstit was blue, then we decided that blue didn't "pop" enough (by pop, I mean pop to a certain audience - I actually prefer the rich shade of blue) so we changed it to red. We also decided to remove one of the bangles on her lower arm and replace it with a snake bracelet, to remind readers of Kleopatra. Finally (actually, this was my first request) we cut off her nose because - well, let's just say that in profile, she looks better without it! ]Thisis the "final" product. The gold on her toga and the bracelets will likely be gold foil, as will the border at the bottom. The changes took about 2-3 weeks to make, since the art department is very busy. The cover itself was shot in London in front of a neoclassical building.

[edited to say: the version on Amazon will not be the final version, btw... eventually, the snake bangle will look more realistic]
Last edited by michellemoran on Fri April 17th, 2009, 6:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri April 17th, 2009, 6:10 pm

Here's one for The Queen's Mistake by Diane Haeger (release this fall). Not exactly sure what it's about though except it's set in the court of Henry VIII:

http://www.amazon.com/Queens-Mistake-Co ... EGK5AEPKX5

Pretty dress and at least she has a head!

Michelle, I think that's why I liked the UK one better - she has a face. Although I have to agree the US one does look better without the nose!

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Fri April 17th, 2009, 6:21 pm

Ohhh, I really like the red sheen on her bodice.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Fri April 17th, 2009, 6:45 pm

I think it's about Kat Howard. She's mentioned on amazon.com as one of the tags. Plus, it would fit with the title.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Fri April 17th, 2009, 6:54 pm

Yep, you're right, CW. I also like the cover! Here's the catalog description:
When the young and beautiful Catherine Howard becomes the fifth wife of the fifty-year-old King Henry VIII, she seems to be on top of the world. Yet her reign is destined to be brief and heartbreaking, as she is forced to do battle with enemies far more powerful and calculating than she could have ever anticipated in a court where one wrong move could mean her undoing. Wanting only love, Catherine is compelled to deny her heart’s desire in favor of her family’s ambition. But in so doing, she unwittingly gives those who sought to bring her down a most effective weapon—her own romantic past. The Queen’s Mistake is the tragic tale of one passionate and idealistic woman who struggles to negotiate the intrigue of the court and the yearnings of her heart.

cw gortner
Bibliophile

Post by cw gortner » Fri April 17th, 2009, 7:01 pm

One step ahead of me! I just downloaded the NAL catalog and there it is.

Completely off the subject, but the very next book in the catalog is: A Highlander Christmas, with the tagline: "Wrapped in a kilt, he's her holiday wish come true." Of course our manly tartar-clad Highlander is barechested and handling a sword in the middle of what looks like Siberia.
THE QUEEN'S VOW available on June 12, 2012!
THE TUDOR SECRET, Book I in the Elizabeth I Spymaster Chronicles
THE CONFESSIONS OF CATHERINE DE MEDICI
THE LAST QUEEN

www.cwgortner.com

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri April 17th, 2009, 7:06 pm

Hmm, "idealistic" is not a word I would use for Howard, but still sounds interesting.

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri April 17th, 2009, 7:14 pm

Cool cover Michelle. Although I do like teh blue cover better. But then again blue is my favorite color. :D
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Archives”