Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2009 edition

Retired Threads
Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed March 11th, 2009, 1:37 am

Heh, yep, two posts in the same day even. After three weeks of nothing! :D

I liked the sound of Mary Sutter too. We can use more American settings in HF.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed March 11th, 2009, 3:10 am

Do you know when it will come out? I dont remember seeing a date and Amazon had nothing.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed March 11th, 2009, 3:10 am

[quote=""Divia""]Do you know when it will come out? I dont remember seeing a date and Amazon had nothing.[/quote]

Which one?

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed March 11th, 2009, 3:16 am

Nope, no date was given for Mary Sutter... the info in the deal was all there was. Could be a year away, could be three.

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed March 11th, 2009, 3:37 am

Nonfiction, April 2009: "Royal Portraits in Hollywood: Filming the Lives of Queens" by Elizabeth A. Ford, Deborah C. Mitchell.

It's $34.98, sigh. My bday isn't till Aug but I think this will be my gift, even if I get it months early.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed March 11th, 2009, 3:49 am

New YA fiction Sept 09:
"The Lacemaker and the Princess" by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley:
Eleven-year-old Isabelle, a third-generation lace maker, is making her first delivery to the Palace of Versailles when she is nearly trampled by a crowd. Astonishingly, it's Marie Antoinette who rescues her, and the queen invites Isabelle to meet Princess Marie-Therese, who chooses Isabelle to be her friend. So begins Isabelle's double life--a lace maker in the morning and royal companion in the afternoon. As the French Revolution brews outside the palace, Isabelle begins to challenge the conventional wisdom that God ordains the social order, even as she staunchly disagrees with accusations leveled against the royal family. Skillfully integrated historical facts frame this engrossing, believable story. Readers will be captivated by the child's view of Versailles, its glittering halls infested with rats; the drudgery of daily work; and the terrors of the French Revolution. The unlikely, fragile friendship that crosses class boundaries will speak straight to young readers' own concerns. An appended author's note gives more historical context and addresses possible complaints that Isabelle's first meeting with the queen is a plot contrivance.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed March 11th, 2009, 3:57 am

Nonfiction, May 09:
"Jane Seymour: Henry VIII's True Love" by Elizabeth Norton, her books seem to be hit or miss it seems.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed March 11th, 2009, 11:15 am

[quote=""Ariadne""]Nope, no date was given for Mary Sutter... the info in the deal was all there was. Could be a year away, could be three.[/quote]
Bummer. :(

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]New YA fiction Sept 09:
"The Lacemaker and the Princess" by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley:
Eleven-year-old Isabelle, a third-generation lace maker, is making her first delivery to the Palace of Versailles when she is nearly trampled by a crowd. Astonishingly, it's Marie Antoinette who rescues her, and the queen invites Isabelle to meet Princess Marie-Therese, who chooses Isabelle to be her friend. So begins Isabelle's double life--a lace maker in the morning and royal companion in the afternoon. As the French Revolution brews outside the palace, Isabelle begins to challenge the conventional wisdom that God ordains the social order, even as she staunchly disagrees with accusations leveled against the royal family. Skillfully integrated historical facts frame this engrossing, believable story. Readers will be captivated by the child's view of Versailles, its glittering halls infested with rats; the drudgery of daily work; and the terrors of the French Revolution. The unlikely, fragile friendship that crosses class boundaries will speak straight to young readers' own concerns. An appended author's note gives more historical context and addresses possible complaints that Isabelle's first meeting with the queen is a plot contrivance.[/quote]

Sounds like a typical YA HF book. blah.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Wed March 11th, 2009, 12:28 pm

Lacemaker and the Princess has been out for a couple years in hardcover :) The paperback edition's coming out in September.

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Wed March 11th, 2009, 1:11 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]That's three novels within a year with the same title (by Sandra Worth, Barbara Kyle, and now Dickason). Ladies, it's time to think of some new titles![/quote]

I guess it's like the ubiquitous headless covers. They have sold very well but now everyone has jumped on the bandwagon and they are becoming much of a muchness. Now all the stories are about empowered women or how women define themselves. So there are hoards of titles emerging with 'Queen' as the motif - because that's almost as powerful as you can get as a woman. And if you're not a queen, then you might be the daughter of a king, or a princess, so these get used all the time. As does wife. and mistress. It does end up becoming very samey because everyone's at it. I pity the readers having to remember which title they want. 'It has Queen in it' or 'daughter' or 'King' or 'Mistress' just means these days, with the samey covers too, that they are looking for a needle in a haystack. CW, Michelle, I know your titles have 'Queen' in them and you were probably more towards the forefront of this trend which is now virulent. How do you feel about it? Does having 'Queen' in the title or other empowering rankage lead readers to pick up as a matter of course?
Last edited by EC2 on Wed March 11th, 2009, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: keep forgetting stuff
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

Return to “Archives”