Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2009 edition

Retired Threads
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu January 29th, 2009, 1:07 am

I'm looking forward to your new book, Michelle. Cleopatra Selene was the only survivor from Cleopatra's dramatic life, and she was successful and happy!

I've just noticed that as well as the 19th "Falco" mystery, Lindsey Davis has an epic tale set in seventeenth century England during the Civil War period due for publication. A change of pace- could be interesting. It's called "Rebels and Traitors"

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu January 29th, 2009, 1:41 am

[quote=""michellemoran""]Cleopatra's Daughter is coming out September 15th, 2009. It was just assigned an ISBN number! I'm very excited ;][/quote]

Looking forward to it!
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Ariadne
Bibliophile

Post by Ariadne » Thu January 29th, 2009, 2:41 am

Great news, Michelle! I added it to the HNS site (and took the description listed on yours - let me know if that's OK!). I'll look forward to seeing the covers, too!

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Thu January 29th, 2009, 4:26 am

Here are some novels out in 2009 that I found on Amazon:
The Woman Who Would Be Pharaoh: A Novel of Ancient Egypt by William Klein:
Ranging from the flood plains of the Nile to the snow-covered passes of the Taurus Mountains, this historical novel is set in the tumultuous period of the waning 18th Egyptian Dynasty, and follows Ankhesenamun, the newly widowed wife of the murdered Tutankhamun. She rules over a court rife with intrigues, assassins and daring sexual liaisons. Facing a forced marriage to her own grandfather—who covets the throne for himself—Ankhesenamun desperately turns to her dear friend, the warrior and scholar Menkhara, for help. She sends him on an impossible mission to the land of the Hittites, and the court of the most feared ruler of the ancient world. His task is to bring one of the sons of this sworn enemy of Egypt to be Ankhesenamun's husband, thus saving her throne. This saga is at once a portrait of a remarkable queen willing to embrace in marriage her country’s ancient foe to save her crown, and a heartbreaking love story that weaves history, mystery, regicide, incest and a terrifying conclusion into a compelling tale.
=====

Roanoke: A Novel of Elizabethan Intrigue by Margaret Lawrence:
In the spring of 1585, seven English ships sailed around Cape Feare and up the windswept coast of Florida. Their mission: to gain a foothold in the Americas, a gateway to riches, an island fortress against the Spanish. But within ten years, the vibrant new colony had vanished without a trace.…

In Hampton Court, Elizabeth is under siege—surrounded by sycophants, spies, and assassins who stalk her every move. Among those charged with protecting her is a tall, charismatic spy named Gabriel North…and when the queen’s advisers persuade her to send ships to the Americas, North is given a job for which he is perfectly suited: to seduce Roanoke’s Secota princess and gain information about a fabled treasure hidden in the wilderness.

In Princess Naia, North meets a woman who bewitches him utterly—and he soon sees the dangerous deceptions from which his mission was born. As war and calamity crash down on Roanoke Island, Gabriel North becomes a wanted man in a desperate hunt that will lead back across the Atlantic—into a trap set by his enemies, and into a shocking act of treachery that swirls around Elizabeth herself….

With the grace of a master storyteller, Margaret Lawrence brings to life a cast of brave hearts and blackguards, petty criminals and grand schemers, who play their roles in a searing drama of conquest, rule, and rebellion.

======

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri January 30th, 2009, 1:28 am

I found several new (or soon to be released) non-fiction books yesterday on Amazon, including a book on Eleanor Butler and one on Margaret Pole (which is pretty pricey in the UK). I posted them on my blog:

http://tanzanitesbookcovers.blogspot.co ... ction.html

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri January 30th, 2009, 1:40 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]I found several new (or soon to be released) non-fiction books yesterday on Amazon, including a book on Eleanor Butler and one on Margaret Pole (which is pretty pricey in the UK). I posted them on my blog:

http://tanzanitesbookcovers.blogspot.co ... ction.html[/quote]

If I'm correct the Catherine Howard book originally came out a long time ago, in 1961, under "The Tudor Tragedy: Catherine Howard". It's nonfiction, which Tanzanite does say on her page.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Amanda
Compulsive Reader

Post by Amanda » Fri January 30th, 2009, 3:09 am

Here are a couple I have read about recently:

The King's Rose by Alisa M Libby - Catherine Howard
I read an ARC copy of this and it was excellent! It is marketed as YA, but really suited for adults too. Highly recommended!

209: A Story by Steven Rafter - about an Australian passenger on the Titanic. Website going live in Feb. More about the man's life before the disaster apparently.

The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters
From her publishers website:
"In this highly anticipated new novel she remains in the 1940s, setting her story in rural Warwickshire, in a crumbling country manor house haunted by a dying way of life - and perhaps by something more sinister... From this wonderful writer who continues to astonish us, comes a chilling ghost story. "

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri January 30th, 2009, 3:19 am

I am interested in reading The King's Rose! It sounds reallly good.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Fri January 30th, 2009, 3:41 am

[quote=""diamondlil""]I am interested in reading The King's Rose! It sounds reallly good.[/quote]

Yes, I have this on my wishlist, so I can request it on BF when it comes out.

SM
My Booksfree Queue

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Fri January 30th, 2009, 4:32 am

I added the Anne B. book to my amazon list.
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Archives”