Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ladies Against Feminism- so shocked I had to click

A place to debate issues or to rant about what's on your mind. In addition to discussions about historical fiction, books, the publishing industry, and history, discussions about current political, social, and religious issues and other topics are allowed, so those who are easily offended by certain topics may want to avoid such threads. Members are expected to keep the discussions friendly and polite and to avoid personal attacks on other members. The moderators reserve the right to shut down a thread without warning if they believe it necessary.
Helen_Davis

Ladies Against Feminism- so shocked I had to click

Post by Helen_Davis » Fri December 12th, 2008, 7:39 pm

http://www.ladiesagainstfeminism.com

I just couldn't believe these people! I mean, the Christians I know don't believe in these rigid gender roles at all, and to think that they want to turn the clock back 150 years. They mailed me a book that advocated living with my parents until I get married and having them arrange a marriage for me, and I'm like "WHAT?" :eek: They're totally against a woman working(even a job from home, like writing) and insist that I obey my husband or father unless he tells me to disobey God.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Fri December 12th, 2008, 8:19 pm

Oh brother. :rolleyes:

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri December 12th, 2008, 8:25 pm

Ugh! This is a case of us being are our own worst enemy, I'm afraid! What I will never understand is what is so wrong or threatening about the idea that a woman is equal in value to a man and should have the same opportunities and choices that men have historically had? Why is that such a controversial thing? :confused:
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Volgadon
Compulsive Reader

Post by Volgadon » Fri December 12th, 2008, 8:34 pm

Nothing wrong about the idea. I'm religious BTW.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Fri December 12th, 2008, 8:45 pm

My mother is very religious as well and as an educated woman (and part of the hippie generation, BTW) made a choice to be a stay at home mother and raise nine children. But she always made sure that her daughters knew that there were other options. She stressed the importance of education, our right to control our own bodies, and that we could do anything we wanted. While I don't agree with my mother's religious views, they certainly were not "anti-feminist" at all!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

amyb
Reader

Post by amyb » Fri December 12th, 2008, 9:34 pm

Wow - what an ignorant group of women. I'm not religious, but I thank GOD for not making me like them.

Anita Davison
Scribbler

Post by Anita Davison » Fri December 12th, 2008, 10:00 pm

I read this too with growing incredulity, and then it occurred to me. These women are the modern nuns, withdrawing from a competitive world and saying, 'I give up, I'll make no more decisions and leave it to someone else to look after me and take responsibility for me. Then I cannot be blamed for anything, nothing will be expected of me and whatever happens is God's will.'

This one did make me laugh though
Last weekend I read about two women who have made history. One was on the front page of the newspaper and is of the “I am woman hear me roar” school. She is known and admired by many for her intelligence and aggressive pursuit of power. She is tough and politically savvy. The other woman was referred to in a brief paragraph in the obituary section, stating only the time of the family gathering at the funeral home in a tiny village in the hills of southwestern Pennsylvania. They were both in the same newspaper. Which one has the real power?

Well not the dead one that's for sure!!!

BTW-I don't mean to offend anyone
Anita Davison
Proofread carefully to see if you any words out ~ Unknown

ellenjane
Reader

Post by ellenjane » Fri December 12th, 2008, 10:06 pm

I've run across this website before. I don't have any issues with their lifestyle, but I do bristle at their insistence that those who live in a different way are selfish and sinful.

Did they just send you the book out of the blue? Was it for review or something?

Christina
Reader

Post by Christina » Sat December 13th, 2008, 12:38 am

Well, each to their own, I guess.

I read this too with growing incredulity, and then it occurred to me. These women are the modern nuns, withdrawing from a competitive world and saying, 'I give up, I'll make no more decisions and leave it to someone else to look after me and take responsibility for me. Then I cannot be blamed for anything, nothing will be expected of me and whatever happens is God's will.'

Forgive me, I don't really agree with this. Nuns - in the past - were often women who took a stand against the rigid ideas of being the devout wife. For a wealthy woman the only options were marriage or the convent and the convent allowed more freedom than marriage.

This is a contraversial subject but what concerns me about 'feminism' is that so often it is a watered-down masculinity - or women trying to behave like men. I am absolutely for the equality of the sexes, but also for recognising their complimentary roles. So-called 'feminism' has led to the idea that all mothers have to go to work and have a 'life of their own'. What if mothers want to stay home with their children (which is natural in Nature). Why should that be less than going out and behaving like a business woman?? It has led, I think, too, to the notion that we all have rights and no responsibilities.

I don't have children - I love children but made that choice because that beautiful responsibility didn't work with what I chose for this life. It irks me enormously when people expect others to be responsible for theirs. A child is not an appendage or a fashion accessory. Nor is a child the responsibility of government or state or everyone else. I totally understand that economic pressures mean many women need to work and cannot be there all the time for their children, but that is quite different from those mothers who seem to have them, leave them and expect everyone else to be responsible.

Unfortunately, it seems to me, that when the suffragettes began their campaigns for equality, they spoke of equality in a way that recognised the compatibility of the male/female. It was taken over by women who were not out for equality and the recognition of the beauty of the feminine, but rather who tried to emulate the masculine. (And, girls :-) , we all know so well that men think they rule the world and what a mess they have made of it with their wars and posturing :-) ) The feminine is equally powerful but in a different way. For centuries the feminine has been side-lined, crushed, obliterated. But when the so-called feminists got into their stride, they didn't promote the feminine (intuitive, gentler side that compliments the masculine driving force side) but rather tried to make women like men.

So...I think these ladies against feminism, are a backlash to that. It is sad that they want to be subservient. It is an escape and it is an insult to the true dignity of women. But then, if they choose to live that way, it's their choice. What is always apparent is that as soon as someone labels someone else as 'sinful' they obviously are living in fear. If someone wants to be a subservient wife, go live it. If someone wants to be a business woman, go live it. Why is there ever a need to tell anyone else what is right or wrong? We only do that when we are unsure of ourselves and incapable of looking at our own lives...Surely people who are truly thoughtful, think only that other people are equally so, and can make their own decisions...

Sinful??? Yikes - what a silly and judgemental word!!

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Sat December 13th, 2008, 1:27 am

[quote=""Christina""] This is a contraversial subject but what concerns me about 'feminism' is that so often it is a watered-down masculinity - or women trying to behave like men. I am absolutely for the equality of the sexes, but also for recognising their complimentary roles. So-called 'feminism' has led to the idea that all mothers have to go to work and have a 'life of their own'. What if mothers want to stay home with their children (which is natural in Nature). Why should that be less than going out and behaving like a business woman?? It has led, I think, too, to the notion that we all have rights and no responsibilities. [/quote]

The problem with this argument is that the notion of what is "feminine" is so relative and changes with the times and with different cultures and societies. Because the world is run by men and the feminist movement sought to change the very perceptions of what is feminine and what is masculine. Those who are stuck on the notion that women should be soft spoken, gentle, demure, etc. will obviously think that a woman with a strong personality who is highly opinionated and has ambition is behaving too "masculine".

It is the very idea of what is feminine vs. what is masculine that is slowly changing in our society. The old ideas of appropriate behavior for women are changing in order to allow them to break molds and branch out into territories and careers that were traditionally male. I stongly disagree that a feminist is trying to be masculine. It is just that she wants to challenge the gender sterotypes that have kept women subservient to men for so long.

While we're on the subject, if we want women to be "feminine" maybe next time woman who is beautiful, dresses well, wears make-up, and doesn't man-down her look runs for public office we as a society can judge her based on her ideas, experience, and character rather than her appearance! I'm speaking specifically of Sara Palin. I may vehemently disagree with her politics and think her intellect leaves much to be desired but the sexist treatment from the media pissed me off as much as it did when they were doing it to Hillary Clinton!
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,

Return to “Debate/Rant Forum”