Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Flower Reader

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
Brenna
Bibliophile

The Flower Reader

Post by Brenna » Sat April 7th, 2012, 10:44 pm

So many of us have read or are reading The Flower Reader so I thought I would start a thread for us to chat!

I'm not very far myself but I hope to spend the day tomorrow getting all caught up!
Brenna

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun April 8th, 2012, 3:23 am

I'm good -- except I'll be gone on a llama-packing trip most of next week, by the end of which I will likely have finished it.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Sun April 8th, 2012, 10:35 am

I will join you with this one as I've recently finished it.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun April 8th, 2012, 11:34 am

I think I will read it when I am done with Mariana.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun April 8th, 2012, 11:50 am

I've finished and just waiting for the rest of you to get started before joining in.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun April 8th, 2012, 1:36 pm

OK, I got it on my Kindle. I should finish Mariana later today or tomorrow. Even though it is spring break for me, I do have to do some school work. :(
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun April 8th, 2012, 8:19 pm

Ok so I have a question (or several actually): Didn't one of Henry VIII's sisters marry a King of Scotland and if so, where does any of their offspring (if they had any) fit into the Flower Reader? Are they related to any of the characters mentioned? Everytime they say Margaret, I think they mean the King's sister. And who is James Stewart? Will he be related to the next James, King of Scotland and England??
Brenna

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Sun April 8th, 2012, 8:42 pm

Mary Queen of Scots was the daughter of Mary of Guise (sister and aunt of the Guises implicated in the French wars of religion) and James V, who was the son of Margaret Tudor, Daughter of Hevry VII and sister to Henry VIII. After James IV (Margaret's husband and Mary's grandfather) died, Margaret married Archibald Douglas, Earl of Angus. They had a daughter, Margaret Douglas (one of the archenemies in the Lymond series) who had a son, Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley. Said Henry will surely show up soon, since that was the husband Mary is accused of blowing up.

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon April 9th, 2012, 2:35 am

[quote=""Brenna""] And who is James Stewart? Will he be related to the next James, King of Scotland and England??[/quote]

This James Stewart is the illegitimate son of James V and therefore the half brother of Mary, Queen of Scots. Usually in nonfiction, he is referred to as Moray from his title Earl of Moray, although he is not granted that title until 20 years into Mary's reign. He does serve as an adviser to Mary and serves as Regent to his nephew James VI (who later becomes James I of England).
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Mon April 9th, 2012, 2:40 am

[quote=""MLE""]After James IV (Margaret's husband and Mary's grandfather) died, Margaret married Archibald Douglas, Earl of Angus. They had a daughter, Margaret Douglas (one of the archenemies in the Lymond series) who had a son, Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley.[/quote]

And Margaret Tudor had a third marriage, half as many as her brother Henry! After she divorced Archibald Douglas, Earl of Angus, she married Henry Stewart, Lord Methven.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

Return to “Book Buddies”