Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Words We Don't Use

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Tue April 3rd, 2012, 3:34 pm

quizzification - A hoax. ~ T. Lewis Davies's Supplementary English Glossary, 1881

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Post by Rowan » Wed April 4th, 2012, 3:29 pm

limotherapy - The treatment of disease by abstinence; from Greek limos, hunger. ~ Richard Hoblyn's Dictionary of Medicine, 1859

The "hunger cure." ~ Sir James Murray's New English Dictionary, 1908

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Wed April 4th, 2012, 3:31 pm

I should try limotherapy with regards to cheeseburgers and my family's history with heart problems!

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed April 4th, 2012, 4:29 pm

40 pounds worth of limotherapy would cure my knees and ankles. :D

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Thu April 5th, 2012, 1:26 pm

You ladies are so funny. lol

Here's another word for those of us who are writers:

escritoir - A box with all implements necessary for writing. ~ Samuel Johnson's Dictionary of the English Language, 1755

In early use, often one of a portable size; more recently, chiefly applied to a larger piece of furniture; a bureau or secretary. ~ Sir James Murray's New English Dictionary, 1897

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu April 5th, 2012, 1:34 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]You ladies are so funny. lol

Here's another word for those of us who are writers:

escritoir - A box with all implements necessary for writing. ~ Samuel Johnson's Dictionary of the English Language, 1755

In early use, often one of a portable size; more recently, chiefly applied to a larger piece of furniture; a bureau or secretary. ~ Sir James Murray's New English Dictionary, 1897[/quote]

They still use that word a lot, I think it's lovely as it really conjures up the image of a writer and all their tools. It does still apply more to antique, or reproduction, furniture - I'd love one of these if I had a study :)
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon April 9th, 2012, 11:44 pm

Am I right in thinking there is also a variation with another e? Escritoire seems more familiar to me for some reason.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Tue April 10th, 2012, 7:51 am

Yep, it was originally a French word, and definitely has an "e" on the end - I've only ever seen it spelt "escritoire". Of course spelling was more variable in the past, though good ol' Dr Johnson had quite a bit to do with standardizing it :)
Last edited by annis on Tue April 10th, 2012, 7:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Tue April 10th, 2012, 2:52 pm

triskadekaphobia - Fear of the number thirteen. Also triskephobia. ~ Sir James Murray's New English Dictionary, 1919

Easter-sermons - Sermons supposed to be suitable for delivery at Easter. Strange to tell, in the 16th century, these were replete with ludicrous stories and jests designed to provoke "Easter laughter." ~ Robert Hunter's Encyclopædic Dictionary, 1895

clanjamphry - A company of people, especially a disorderly or vulgar crowed; a mob, rabble; "Such a clamjamphry of theivin' drunken miscreants," from Jane Barlow's Lisconnel (1895). Rubbish; trumpery; odds and ends. Nonsensical talk. Scotland, Ireland, Northumberland. ~ Joseph Wright's English Dialect Dictionary, 1898-1905

The "whole clanjamphrey," the mob; the rabble. Scotland. ~ Albert Hyamson's Dictionary of English Phrases, 1922.

cruckle - To sink down. "He cruckled to the floor." ~ Ammon Wrigley's Lancashire Words and Sayings, 1940

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Tue April 10th, 2012, 3:23 pm

I love cruckle - I wonder if it's a mixture of crumple and buckle.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Chat”