Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones: Books

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri March 30th, 2012, 1:27 am

[quote=""SGM""]Actually the northern accents make sense to me and at least they are consistent.

Also (I can't remember his name but the one who has been captures the Stark estate after being kept as a hostage) has a northern accent but his sister has an Irish one. There could be more justification for that, if they have been apart for years but really.....

I suspect Roy Dotrice has done it to help him distinguish the characters but it makes everything seem out of tune.

I tend to agree with you about the voices putting you off but I acquired this audio book free so went with it. I will, however, just read the books from now on.

The first real audio books that I listened to were the Lymond Chronicles but I had already read the books. I didn't listen to them in the correct order and read the first one last of all. The first one was read by a different person from all the others and I thought when first hearing it that I preferred his voice because it was more Scottish. But having listened to the other reader again, I have developed a real appreciation of how well he portrayed the characters and voices.

However, this was not the case with the Niccolo books as I hated the Scottish accents the reader used for some of the characters -- sort of Janet from Dr Finlay's Casebook but for men. There is nothing wrong with Janet's accent in other contexts.

PS: I have a long and abiding love for Scottish accents. It's my mother's fault she took me to see From Russia with Love at far too early and impressionable an age.[/quote]

Also (I can't remember his name but the one who has been captures the Stark estate after being kept as a hostage) has a northern accent but his sister has an Irish one. There could be more justification for that, if they have been apart for years but really.....

Er I could be wrong...But it is Theon Greyjoy?.....I think his family may play a bigger part in the second season of GOT.

Bec :)

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri March 30th, 2012, 8:59 am

Yes, it is Theon Greyjoy.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri March 30th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Yep, Theon has a bigger role in the second book - I hated him!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat March 31st, 2012, 3:33 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]Yep, Theon has a bigger role in the second book - I hated him![/quote]

I agree. I can't stand him either! And from the trailers I don't think I'll any of the Greyjoy's. They should've been named 'GreyGrims' :p

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sat March 31st, 2012, 2:45 pm

Theon was a hostage, but as a young boy he was brought up with the rest of the family and treated well. Theons actions weren't out of revenge, as much as wanting to show his father that he was still loyal to him.

If you hate him, Just wait till book 5. You will have your vengence :) (same goes for Cersei too)

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sun April 1st, 2012, 2:25 am

[quote=""Ash""]Theon was a hostage, but as a young boy he was brought up with the rest of the family and treated well. Theons actions weren't out of revenge, as much as wanting to show his father that he was still loyal to him.

If you hate him, Just wait till book 5. You will have your vengence :) (same goes for Cersei too)[/quote]

I've read all the books, but when it comes to the Greyjoy's, they kind of miss the mark with me...But Martin begins all his characters in black and white and then comes the shades of grey(no pun)but with Theon, I simply don't like him much. Whereas with Jaime, I swing like a pendulum, but I never forget what he did to Bran(the &*%$#@!)It is the same with Dani, I know many love her chapters, but I find it a bore and skimmed them. I am now counting down to GOT Season 2 which starts here on the 10th.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.

Post by Vanessa » Sun April 1st, 2012, 10:32 am

Just finished A Clash of Kings and thought it was brilliant. Can't wait to see how it's translated onto screen! Agree about Theon Greyjoy, not a pleasant character although he obviously has some sort of chip on his shoulder. He's a bit unstable.

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Sun April 1st, 2012, 10:56 am

Vanessa - I can't believe you read that book so quickly!

I agree that Theon has a huge chip on his shoulder - the whole father/sister thing but some of the things he's done are pretty unforgiveable. Saying he's a bit unstable is putting it mildly!

I also agree that Dani and the Dothraki (good name for a band) are almost as tedious in this book as they were in the first one.

Season 2 starts here tomorrow night.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac

Post by Vanessa » Sun April 1st, 2012, 12:06 pm

I think I read it in 10 days. I don't watch much TV, I prefer to read.

With regards to Dani, the House of Dust was a bit weird! Reminded me a bit of Alice in Wonderland. LOL. Love her dragons! :D I want one!

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Sun April 1st, 2012, 4:36 pm

Yes that bit was odd! Went on a bit too long I thought, I was thinking, OK we get the point.

Return to “Historical Fantasy”