Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The Worst Thing Today

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue March 20th, 2012, 12:50 pm

So I decided to attempt to change how my boss and I interact and "plant seeds of greatness" according to Joel Osteen. Well, yesterday was a huge success. Unfortunately, today she discovered I had "defriended" her from FB (I no longer thought it was appropriate to have her as a FB friend since she is now my boss and not my co-worker). I tried to explain to her why I did it, out of respect for her position, etc but it didn't go over well. Take two steps forward, 100 back. :-(
Brenna

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Tue March 20th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Oh the perils of Facebook! Brenna, maybe she really wants and needs approval and that made her feel rejected. Maybe she's an unhappy person who is insecure and really does need those seeds of greatness, someone to believe in her, and to be kind to her.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue March 20th, 2012, 11:41 pm

Brenna, what LoveHistory said - very insightful.

(Reasons I will not do FB. Oy.)
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed March 21st, 2012, 12:50 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Oh the perils of Facebook! Brenna, maybe she really wants and needs approval and that made her feel rejected. Maybe she's an unhappy person who is insecure and really does need those seeds of greatness, someone to believe in her, and to be kind to her.[/quote]

I think you are right. I try to keep my "work" like and my personal life very separate, so only certain co-workers end up as friends on FB. Which worked when my boss was just my co-worker. We were friends in the real sense. Since she became my boss, things have taken a turn for the worse and I found she was posting things on FB I shouldn't be reading.

I'm hoping once she takes a few days, she'll see this is a good thing. Still planting seeds of greatness and hopefully it will make a difference.
Brenna

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed March 21st, 2012, 2:19 pm

I think you're being very sensible on this, Brenna; I'm surprised she can't see your reasoning.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Wed March 21st, 2012, 7:39 pm

I would advise anyone to keep their work and personal accounts on social media sites separate. If you want a professional presence in the business world, use something like Linked In. Employers are using these sites not just for due diligence around hiring but to gather input about existing employees and what they may be saying about their own company and other employees online. You most certainly do not want a supervisor checking up on you online. I would also think it was a conflict of interest on the supervisor's part and she could get herself in trouble friending co-workers on FB, esp if you work for a company sensitive about harassment issues, etc. Food for thought anyway.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Wed March 21st, 2012, 7:54 pm

Horrible day at therapy. Had one of the staff verbally savage me in front of my peer group in a meeting. I feel rather crushed right now, and depressed enough to stop therapy. (I won't, but my lizard brain wants to)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Wed March 21st, 2012, 11:32 pm

Staff ... at THERAPY - attacking someone in group? I can't even process the concept. Did nobody talk to them??

Not to advocate for quitting altogether, but any place that allows this might not be the best provider of "therapeutic" services. Sheesh.

Was this supposed to have been intended as some sort of challenge for you to respond to, or tough love? I'm trying to imagine any possible reason this was (a) done and (b) tolerated. Holy crap.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 2:47 pm

[quote=""Ludmilla""]I would advise anyone to keep their work and personal accounts on social media sites separate. If you want a professional presence in the business world, use something like Linked In. Employers are using these sites not just for due diligence around hiring but to gather input about existing employees and what they may be saying about their own company and other employees online. You most certainly do not want a supervisor checking up on you online. I would also think it was a conflict of interest on the supervisor's part and she could get herself in trouble friending co-workers on FB, esp if you work for a company sensitive about harassment issues, etc. Food for thought anyway.[/quote]

I heard the most appalling thing on "Market Place" on NPR the other day. Some companies (they didn't name them) are asking prospective employees to hand over their FB and other social networking passwords so the company can check out the applicant. Googling is de rigeur these days, but most people think of FB as private (except those things they mark as public.) Of course, you don't have to, but...(implicit threat.) Other companies are asking people to sign contracts with clauses that say they can't disparage the company or staff on any social media site. As I've told my daughter many times, "What is on the web is public and permanent."

Telynor--staff savaging a client in therapy?...not professional at all. You should keep up with therapy, but maybe find another group.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Thu March 22nd, 2012, 3:06 pm

Faith... I saw the story about giving up your FB login information on Yahoo yesterday. Pretty crappy if you ask me. And I would definitely refuse to give that information.

My 'worst thing today' happened within the last 12 hours or so. My iPad is dead. I'm waiting on the mall to open so I can call the Apple Store and find out if I did get the extended warranty and then what I can do if I did get it. *sigh* Was doing research last night for the book I'm writing, set it down to take care of something and when I came back, it was unresponsive.

Return to “Chat”