Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Dark Shadows film

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri March 16th, 2012, 3:09 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]OMG this trailer is hilarious! Definitely going to see:
http://www.imdb.com/list/RDuccS_NvmY/#play-all

SM[/quote]

Oh my! Now I'm interested.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun March 18th, 2012, 4:02 pm

Something tells me this is going to be less like the DS we knew and loved, and more like an hilarious send up of it! Good - coz I tried watching a rerun of the old show and it was pretty gawd awful. This does look like its going to be very funny (intentionally or not!)

Now to see how Mirror Mirror fares...

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun March 18th, 2012, 4:45 pm

Just watched the trailer and can't decide whether it wants to be a comedy or a gothic drama; it seems to start off all gothic, then goes into a send-up of the 1970s, then back to Gothic again. I never saw the original but I would imagine now it looks pretty clunky and dated. Difficult to tell from a trailer though.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Juliette_Syon

Post by Juliette_Syon » Mon March 19th, 2012, 8:32 pm

A friend of mine is a huge fan of the original and she's foaming at the mouth about this new treatment. She hates that it's being played for laughs.

I've never seen it (and wasn't even aware of it till now) - I don't think it was ever broadcast over here. If it's properly gothic, I'd probably enjoy it, clunky 70s vibe and all. Maybe I'll have a look for it on youtube.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon March 19th, 2012, 9:37 pm

[quote=""Juliette_Syon""]A friend of mine is a huge fan of the original and she's foaming at the mouth about this new treatment. She hates that it's being played for laughs.

I've never seen it (and wasn't even aware of it till now) - I don't think it was ever broadcast over here. If it's properly gothic, I'd probably enjoy it, clunky 70s vibe and all. Maybe I'll have a look for it on youtube.[/quote]

There are tons of clips on YouTube. I actually watched the entire series last year. Yes it's campy at times (especially the sets!!), but there are good storylines to be found, especially when they started with the time travel and parallel times.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Mon March 19th, 2012, 10:10 pm

Tim Burton, has to be quirky.

I just wish he'd stuck with the MALEFICENT project (movie about the wicked fairy in Disney's SLEEPING BEAUTY - you know, the elegant meanie that turns into a dragon)!
Beverly C. Gray
Army Brat and Lover of Historical Fiction
Guests are always welcome at my Web Site

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Wed March 21st, 2012, 12:29 am

I remember talking to a group of Americans about our favourite TV shows and they all said that 'Dark Shadows' was their all time fave. They would rush home from work so they could watch it. I had never heard of it. But I will watch the movie it looks a hoot! :p

Bec :)

robinbird79
Avid Reader

Post by robinbird79 » Wed March 21st, 2012, 1:53 am

My mom was a huge fan of the original and I've seen plenty of the reruns (I even watched the short lived series that came out in the 90s with Ben Cross starring). She's not too happy with what they've done to it.

I'm not happy either. If they'd come right out and said, "Hey, we're spoofing the original series" or said they were going to make it a comedy I wouldn't be as upset as I would have known what was coming and not been so taken aback (which I think is what has happened with so many of the die hard fans). The original was not a comedy or meant to be. I really was hoping for a genuine movie based on the series (it would've been so cool to see the time travel scenes).

So many now say of course its a comedy LOOK AT IT to which I reply "It was the 60s...they didn't have the high tech special effects like we do now." Of COURSE we'll think it looks campy and ridiculous now but that was the way shows were then. This had such potential and I was looking forward to taking Mom to see it. :( I sent her the link to the trailer and told her to let me know if she wanted to try it out (since perhaps they just edited the trailer to only show the ridiculous stuff).
Currently Reading: Crown in Candlelight, R. H. Jarmen

http://almostcrazymommy.blogspot.com

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed March 21st, 2012, 2:13 am

[quote=""robinbird79""]My mom was a huge fan of the original and I've seen plenty of the reruns (I even watched the short lived series that came out in the 90s with Ben Cross starring). She's not too happy with what they've done to it.

I'm not happy either. If they'd come right out and said, "Hey, we're spoofing the original series" or said they were going to make it a comedy I wouldn't be as upset as I would have known what was coming and not been so taken aback (which I think is what has happened with so many of the die hard fans). The original was not a comedy or meant to be. I really was hoping for a genuine movie based on the series (it would've been so cool to see the time travel scenes).

So many now say of course its a comedy LOOK AT IT to which I reply "It was the 60s...they didn't have the high tech special effects like we do now." Of COURSE we'll think it looks campy and ridiculous now but that was the way shows were then. This had such potential and I was looking forward to taking Mom to see it. :( I sent her the link to the trailer and told her to let me know if she wanted to try it out (since perhaps they just edited the trailer to only show the ridiculous stuff).[/quote]

Yes, it was the 60s and not only didn't they have all the fancy gadgets and special effects we have now, they were doing it live, five days a week, four weeks a month for several years.

@ Bec. DS was a soap daily soap opera, not like a regular nighttime series. At first it had a read gothic kind of twist to it, but then they decided to throw in the vampire twist and it went viral (well, not a word used back then, but I hope you know what I mean. After the vampire, we got witches, warlocks, werewolves (Quentin was tops), time travel, parallel time and all kinds of fun campy stuff. I was one of those young girls racing home from school every day to catch the latest episode.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”