Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

The best thing today

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Tue March 13th, 2012, 9:29 pm

Warm here in Indianapolis too. I just got a shipment notice. It would be the roses for the new hedge. I wasn't expecting those for at least another three weeks. Guess I'll have to take Friday off so I can start to get the little dears into the ground. Not sure I'm mentally ready for this. I'm still in my "it's winter indoor" mindset.
Beverly C. Gray
Army Brat and Lover of Historical Fiction
Guests are always welcome at my Web Site

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Tue March 13th, 2012, 10:50 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Lovely weather. Inching toward warm, just enough chill to keep it interesting. Supposed to hit 70 this weekend.[/quote]

It was EIGHTY today in the midatlantic. Holy smokes - 40 degrees above normal, that. We never got winter this year, and it's creepy.

Because this is the best thing thread, though, I should not use it for kvetching! Okay, so today's best thing is The Best Dog in the History of Ever. And a nice dinner. And my mom, whom I love so much. And the man who reminds me with gut-wrenching acuteness why I admire him even more than I like him. Which is rather a lot, really.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed March 14th, 2012, 12:50 pm

It was 70 yesterday and should be that way today. I ran outside with puppy for an hour, took a long nature walk, and then played frisbee. The only downside of the daylight savings time, is I don't get tired when it's still light outside. Whole sleep schedule is thrown off!
Brenna

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Wed March 14th, 2012, 2:24 pm

Glad you and puppy are enjoying the spring Brenna, I agree with you about the downside of longer daylight hours; it's now light at around 6.00 am, and we're not even into daylight saving yet - just under 2 weeks before our clocks go forward - so I'm dreading the lighter mornings. And the birds start singing at around 4.00 am - why??? Go back to sleep birdies!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed March 14th, 2012, 3:20 pm

Supposed to get to 70 in Brooklyn today...bright sunshine outside...crocuses are brightening the yard...opened window in my office to blow the winter fug out. AHHHHH!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed March 14th, 2012, 11:38 pm

A rather small thing for me today. All of my snow Crocuses are up and lovely, Daffodils on the south side of the house are trying to bloom. The Tulips that hibernated all last year are up, and for the first time since being planted two years ago one of my Early Snowdrops has bloomed. Made me feel good to see all the flowers in the sunshine.

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Thu March 15th, 2012, 12:44 pm

I know, LoveHistory. I looked out the sunroom and have daffodils all over the yard. Miss Willow is showing that first touch of green along her branches, too. Went to get the paper and had a robin blasting in my ear and the sun wasn't even up yet. I love spring.
Beverly C. Gray
Army Brat and Lover of Historical Fiction
Guests are always welcome at my Web Site

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu March 15th, 2012, 1:03 pm

I saw some Robins recently and that was nice. Last year there was an oriole in the big tree out front every morning. Evenings he'd switch to the backyard. I always enjoyed hearing him sing. If he comes back this year I think I'll give him a name.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Thu March 15th, 2012, 2:06 pm

Ah that's lovely LH, what will you call him?

My crocuses and snowdrops are finished, the magnolia has loads of buds on it - which is good as last year we only had about 3 flowers - but my daffodils aren't showing any sign of flowering, which is worrying as they weren't very good last year, so I hope the snow we had in Feb hasn't damaged them.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu March 15th, 2012, 5:57 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Ah that's lovely LH, what will you call him?
[/quote]

Don't know yet. I'm open to suggestions. :)

Return to “Chat”