Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forthcoming Books: 2012 edition

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Mon March 5th, 2012, 1:36 am

[quote=""Susan""]I read Needle in the Blood several years ago and had to order it through the Book Depository because it was not available in the US. It was the book of the month at this site in February, 2009. Back then I wrote: "I did like the exposition of the plot, but I thought the book got weaker as it went on. I did like the Bayeux Tapestry part, but the romance (actually the lust) of Odo and Gytha bored me. I wanted to know more about the embroiderers and was upset when their stories were put on the back burner. There was way too much of Odo and Gytha rolling around in bed and not enough substance to their romance. I didn't dislike the book, but I was somewhat disappointed."[/quote]

I got a copy from the library a couple of years ago. I didn't get very far.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Mon March 5th, 2012, 2:20 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]I checked in with my UK publisher on this, as I had no idea it had been scheduled. I just turned in the revised ms. to St Martin's Press here in the US, so it looks as though Tudor Deception will most likely not be published on this date. Both houses are aiming for early 2013, as St Martin's Press still has to approve the revised version; cover art has to be done; etc.

Meanwhile, I'm writing the Borgia book . . . :) [/quote]

Boo, for the delay! It seems dates change all the time - I have a hard time keeping up with them sometimes...

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon March 5th, 2012, 4:45 am

Yes, Needle in the Blood is a reissue - a couple of years ago it was the Book of the Month on this forum. I much preferred the small but beautifully written Odo's Hanging by Peter Benson.

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Tue March 6th, 2012, 2:20 am

[quote=""annis""]Yes, Needle in the Blood is a reissue - a couple of years ago it was the Book of the Month on this forum. I much preferred the small but beautifully written Odo's Hanging by Peter Benson.[/quote]

I just ordered Odo's Hanging. Thanks for the recommendation. I read NitB and liked it for the Bayeux Tapestry story line. I am quite interested in the BT for its value as primary source material for so many facets of life in those times.
Last edited by TiciaRoma on Tue March 6th, 2012, 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tish

"If you would tell me the heart of a man, tell me not what he reads but what he rereads." Nobel Laureate Francois Mauriac

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed March 7th, 2012, 12:36 am

No worries over Needle in The Blood. Harriet just gave it a thumbs up. See if you can spot her typo :confused:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Wed March 7th, 2012, 2:34 am

[quote=""Misfit""]No worries over Needle in The Blood. Harriet just gave it a thumbs up. See if you can spot her typo :confused: [/quote]

Well, I've been know to make a typo or two, but Bayou?? Sounds like she's talking about Louisiana. And repeating Odo in the first sentence. Etc.
Tish

"If you would tell me the heart of a man, tell me not what he reads but what he rereads." Nobel Laureate Francois Mauriac

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed March 7th, 2012, 3:11 am

[quote=""TiciaRoma""]Well, I've been know to make a typo or two, but Bayou?? Sounds like she's talking about Louisiana. And repeating Odo in the first sentence. Etc.[/quote]

I know what you mean about a typo or two, but Harriet belongs to another world. Unintentionally hilarious as always :) ;)

James Long

Post by James Long » Mon March 12th, 2012, 6:22 pm

[quote=""Ariadne""]Thanks for the update, Annis! I'm still eagerly anticipating it and hope it will be worth the wait.[/quote]
I'm happy to tell you that 'The Lives She Left Behind' which is the sequel to 'Ferney' will be published by Quercus in October 2012. I hope you enjoy it. James Long.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Mon March 12th, 2012, 6:34 pm

That's good news! Look forward to getting my mitts on it. :D
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon March 12th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Posted by James Long
I'm happy to tell you that 'The Lives She Left Behind' which is the sequel to 'Ferney' will be published by Quercus in October 2012. I hope you enjoy it. James Long.
I'm happy to hear that :) Have been looking forward to this for ages...

Return to “General Discussion”