Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed February 15th, 2012, 8:24 pm

[quote=""Justin Swanton""]The Eagle. I wish movie directors would stop throwing historical accuracy so gaily to the winds. Roman legionaries did not form testudos when making a sally out of a fort to rescue their captive comrades. The testudo was an anti-arrow formation, and would have been worse than useless in hand-to-hand combat.

Things like that irritate me. Seeing rectangular shields in Agora, and everything to do with combat in Arthur - too much!

Having said that, I rather enjoyed the storyline in Eagle. Just those blue Mohawk Seal People....I'm guessing the director had just come from watching Avatar (whose director in turn had evidently read everything about Custer's Last Stand).[/quote]

I thought that this was such a bad film in terms of the script, the casting, etc etc that it could have been wonderfully accurate in historical terms and still would have been a dud for me.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Wed February 15th, 2012, 8:28 pm

Troy... I liked Eric Bana. It makes me want to read the Iliad.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu February 16th, 2012, 7:54 am

[quote=""Nefret""]Troy... I liked Eric Bana. It makes me want to read the Iliad.[/quote]

I was prompted to read many books as a kid and in my teens because I had seen a film or televised version. I read the Oddyssey at school because it was on the syllabus but didn't get round to the Iliad until much later and I must admit it was this film that reminded me I hadn;t read it. After that I remembered I had read the Aenid either, probably because I gave up Latin as soon as I possibly could, but it was worth going back to.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu February 16th, 2012, 5:36 pm

I read a Latinised version of the Odyssey (in school) at first, and didn't like it as much. I haven't read either book in a while, and never the Aeneid.

I do sometimes like to find books about whatever subject I just saw in a movie.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Ken
Compulsive Reader

Orthodontics

Post by Ken » Thu February 16th, 2012, 10:09 pm

Have watched a few American films lately and there was a common theme throughout: Perfect, wide, smiles with brilliant, white, even teeth! Where do you Americans get these and where can I buy some to replace these British uneven, crooked, slightly stained ones? :o :rolleyes:

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Thu February 16th, 2012, 11:46 pm

Hee - Ken, there is actually a product called Snap On Smiles now, which is the budget version of veneers and orthodontia etc. :D

Watched my spanking new Captain America DVD last night, and enjoyed it again immensely. And the British lead actress has a beautiful set of teeth, come to think of it!
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat February 18th, 2012, 7:11 pm

Date Night. Funny. Tina Fey and Steve Carrell work well together.

PetraVerne
Scribbler

Post by PetraVerne » Sat February 18th, 2012, 10:57 pm

I should say - what movies you want to see... If you want to "dive" inside the picture by Pieter Bruegel the Elder watch this - "The Mill and the Cross " - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiJK-qaJUXQ
I had a chance to see many parts of this masterpiece - you need time to delect this because it is a new point of view - you are an outside observer and an inside. too. Marvelous.
Everything that means BEAUTY.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun February 19th, 2012, 5:11 am

I just watched Descendents - wow. Ok, so The Artist is no longer my top film of the year'; this one is amazing. Clooney as usual was his handsome self, but thid role was probably the best I've seen him, and I hope to see those two young ladies who play his daughters in many more films in the future. Having dealt with my share of illness and death this last year, I think I can say that there was not a wrong move, wrong emotion, wrong decision in this movie. And the last 3 minutes, completely silent except for a tv in the background, was one of the better 'bits of business' I've seen in a movie for a long while.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun February 19th, 2012, 10:32 pm

Cowboys & Aliens with Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford, and Keith Carradine. I enjoyed it, but I'm a sucker for cowboys...and aliens. It got pretty poor reviews, but I only had one "oh, come on!" moment.

Let's Make Love with Marilyn Monroe and Yves Montand. Didn't buy the premise or execution.

Heaven Can Wait (the 1943 version with Gene Tierney and Don Ameche...not the remake of Here Comes Mr. Jordan also called HCW.) This is a delightful Lubitsch movie, traditional plot but sparkling dialog.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”