Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

How do you view minor characters?

Got a question/comment about the creative process of writing? Post it here!
bevgray
Reader

How do you view minor characters?

Post by bevgray » Tue February 7th, 2012, 5:39 pm

I had an interesting comment from one of my readers in an email the other day. It caught my eye so I wrote about it on my writing blog. In essense, this reader was complimentary on the way I handled minor characters (think extras or one-liners in a movie).

I would be very interested from my fellow readers and writers of historical fiction as to how you view minor characters. Do you like them to have detail or do you like them to stay well in the background so that you don't have to keep track of them with the major characters?
Beverly C. Gray
Army Brat and Lover of Historical Fiction
Guests are always welcome at my Web Site

Justin Swanton
Reader

Post by Justin Swanton » Wed February 8th, 2012, 11:18 am

[quote=""bevgray""]I had an interesting comment from one of my readers in an email the other day. It caught my eye so I wrote about it on my writing blog. In essense, this reader was complimentary on the way I handled minor characters (think extras or one-liners in a movie).

I would be very interested from my fellow readers and writers of historical fiction as to how you view minor characters. Do you like them to have detail or do you like them to stay well in the background so that you don't have to keep track of them with the major characters?[/quote]

I consider minor characters to be of the utmost importance. Historical fiction is about recreating a society with norms, customs, prejudices and priorities that no longer exist (as opposed to putting contemporaries into togas and long dresses). To succeed in this, everything depends on the minor characters. They don't have to do or say much to convey the mood of the time, but I feel one has to already know quite a bit about their backgrounds before letting them speak.

Tolkien was the master of this - his characters were so developed, with so much history behind them, that I don't know if one can really talk about 'minor' characters in LOTR. A lot of thought has gone into everything they say and do - right down to the talkative servant woman in the House of Healing at Minas Tirith.

Another thing about minor characters - they do a lot towards shaping the personalities of the main protagonists. Try to imagine Heathcliff without old Joseph. If personality can be defined as the way one reacts to others, then minor characters are very important in defining the personalities of the major characters. At least, that's how it worked out for me.

The reader, too, will want to be able to sum up a character who does more than make a momentary appearance as a piece of furniture (guards, etc.). That means giving him enough information to assess the minor character's overall personality, which means not making him wooden or one-dimensional. Readers, I find, are intelligent and fussy (I am - well fussy, at least!).

Hope this is of use.
Last edited by Justin Swanton on Wed February 8th, 2012, 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

bevgray
Reader

Post by bevgray » Wed February 8th, 2012, 12:36 pm

Thanks, Justin. That's the sort of analysis I was interested in receiving. For me, I prefer more color too so that may be why I try to add a bit more when I write. I agree about Tolkien. Dickens also had a flare for it.
Beverly C. Gray
Army Brat and Lover of Historical Fiction
Guests are always welcome at my Web Site

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed February 8th, 2012, 4:43 pm

I agree with Bev, Dickens has a lot to teach us about "minor" characters. I try to give all my spear carriers some physical and/or verbally unique characteristics that help build the society and shape my primary characters. Not always easy!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “The Craft of Writing”