Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

60 years ago (tomorrow)

SGM
Compulsive Reader

60 years ago (tomorrow)

Post by SGM » Sun February 5th, 2012, 9:26 pm

On the basis of the King is dead, long live the Queen -- Elizabeth became Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (that being the correct name of the country at that time) and head of state of not more than a few of the Commonwealth countires, probably in the region of sixteen of them.

What is to follow is several months of celebrations, all of which will play havoc with travelling around London to be followed by the 2012 Olympiad which make TFL even more nightmarish. But I suppose if it's good for tourism, it's good for the country and at least we get an extra bank holiday.

She still has a year and a bit to catch up with Victoria as the longest British monarch.

James VI was actually King of Scotland for about 57 years which was not bad going either given that his reign was several centuries before Elizabeth II but he did inherit his first throne rather young and he still managed a couple of decades on the English throne as well.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Mon February 6th, 2012, 2:21 am

How cool. I'll have to try to watch the ceremony.
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon February 6th, 2012, 10:07 am

Dreading the Olympics, they should never have put the stadium in such an already built-up congested area. Gonna be a nightmare!
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue February 7th, 2012, 12:39 am

[quote=""Madeleine""]Dreading the Olympics, they should never have put the stadium in such an already built-up congested area. Gonna be a nightmare![/quote]

I am dreading the Olympics not because of the traffic(I don't live there)but because in this day and age many athletes are taking one drug or another to enhance their chances of taking gold. It is because of this I give the olympics the miss.....

Bec :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Tue February 7th, 2012, 2:12 pm

I go right past the stadium every day - it's by the "hub" station through which practically every overground train coming from the east of England goes on it's way into the City of London. So I don't have many alternative travel options, as advised by the relevant website which tells people to seek other routes into work, or go to work at a different time - like when, 3.00 in the morning??!!

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed February 8th, 2012, 4:11 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]I go right past the stadium every day - it's by the "hub" station through which practically every overground train coming from the east of England goes on it's way into the City of London. So I don't have many alternative travel options, as advised by the relevant website which tells people to seek other routes into work, or go to work at a different time - like when, 3.00 in the morning??!![/quote]

Sounds like a lot of long waits in your future. Potential upside: more reading time?

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Wed February 8th, 2012, 5:27 pm

Probably be too crowded to read - I hate crowds! Might spend more time in the nearby shopping centre though!

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Wed February 8th, 2012, 6:47 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Probably be too crowded to read - I hate crowds! Might spend more time in the nearby shopping centre though![/quote]

The advice I saw said try working from home --- how I wish.

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac

Post by Madeleine » Thu February 9th, 2012, 12:21 pm

[quote=""SGM""]The advice I saw said try working from home --- how I wish.[/quote]

yeah right, I sometimes wonder if the people who come up with this advice actually live in the real world :mad:

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Thu February 9th, 2012, 6:52 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]yeah right, I sometimes wonder if the people who come up with this advice actually live in the real world :mad: [/quote]

A real but parallel universe, perhaps?

Return to “Chat”