Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Words We Don't Use

Sharz
Reader

Post by Sharz » Wed January 18th, 2012, 3:38 am

Bundling has long been part of Amish courtship customs, although I don't know just how common in more recent decades.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Wed January 18th, 2012, 2:07 pm

carfuddle - To discompose; to rumple. Synonymous with carfuffle, to disorder.

I'd also like to point out that today was the birth date of Peter Mark Roget. Anyone care to guess what he's famous for? :p

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed January 18th, 2012, 7:22 pm

Roget is famous for his discovery of the world's most wordy dinosaur. :D

I'm guessing carfuffle is the forerunner of kerfuffle, which is one of my favorite words.

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.

Post by Rowan » Wed January 18th, 2012, 7:26 pm

[quote=""LoveHistory""]Roget is famous for his discovery of the world's most wordy dinosaur. :D [/quote]

This is my status for the day on FB and Gmail:

Happy Birthday Peter Mark Roget! Your influence on language has been immeasurable, bottomless, boundless, countless, endless, illimitable, extensive, indefinite, inestimable, infinite, unfathomable, unlimited, unmeasurable AND vast. :)

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Thu January 19th, 2012, 1:36 pm

adulter - To commit adultery with another; a word not classical. ~ Samuel Johnson's Dictionary of the English Language, 1755

Holer, adulterer; libertine; from French holier. ~ Herbert Coleridge's Oldest Words in the English Language, 1863

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon January 23rd, 2012, 10:37 am

[quote=""Alisha Marie Klapheke""]I read a scene about bundling in Deborah Harkness' A Discovery of Witches. It's rather sexy. I also saw a bundling scene in the movie The Patriot with Mel Gibson (eye roll) and the sadly now deceased Heath Ledger. Very cute one there.

I was dashelled today. A tornado came winding its nasty way down my road. I'm fine. Just a bit dashelled. : )[/quote]

I've just read this scene and yes it's quite sexy ;) They also mention that bundling was popular with the Dutch and Amish people, and talk about the boards too, which must have been a bit uncomfortable! :eek:
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Rowan
Bibliophile

Post by Rowan » Mon January 23rd, 2012, 1:54 pm

green-sickness - A disease incident to virgins. ~ Noah Webster's Compendious Dictionary of the English Language, 1806.

A disease in which the person has a sickly paleness, with a green tinge of the complexion, chiefly confined to unmarried females. ~ James Stormonth's Dictionary of the English Language, 1884

mallemarocking - The visiting and carousing of seamen in the Greenland ships. ~ William Smyth's Sailor's Word-Book, 1867

Formed on Dutch mallemarok, a foolish woman, tomboy; from mal, foolish, and marok, adaptation of French marotte, [an] "object of foolish affection." ~ Sir James Murray's New English Dictionary, 1908

out-pick-pick - The kind of pick-pick [a fish from whose bones the flesh is easily picked] that is caught further out to sea than the ordinary one. ~ Alan Ross' Pitcairnese Language, 1964

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon January 23rd, 2012, 2:09 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]green-sickness - A disease incident to virgins. ~ Noah Webster's Compendious Dictionary of the English Language, 1806.

A disease in which the person has a sickly paleness, with a green tinge of the complexion, chiefly confined to unmarried females. ~ James Stormonth's Dictionary of the English Language, 1884[/quote]

I'm intrigued - jealousy maybe?! :confused: ;)
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon January 23rd, 2012, 5:49 pm

I've heard of green-sickness. Good to know what it means now.

Kveto from Prague
Compulsive Reader

Post by Kveto from Prague » Mon January 23rd, 2012, 6:59 pm

[quote=""Rowan""]This is my status for the day on FB and Gmail:

Happy Birthday Peter Mark Roget! Your influence on language has been immeasurable, bottomless, boundless, countless, endless, illimitable, extensive, indefinite, inestimable, infinite, unfathomable, unlimited, unmeasurable AND vast. :)
[/quote]

that reminds me. Does anybody know another word for thesaurus?

Return to “Chat”