Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Kindle Worries

For discussion about electronic reading devices and related issues (pricing, formatting, accessories, comparisons, etc.)
rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon January 23rd, 2012, 12:37 am

Thanks everyone.

I have a feeling that the problem may be my desk top computer in that it was not made in America...I had a computer shop make it here from scratch. So it is not a dell or a HP.......I did register it on Amazon and the books do download but unfortunately it simply won't download into the kindle.

My brother in law is coming up in a month or two I shall ask him to look at it and see if he can get it working and I shall phone the computer company and ask if my PC can download kindle material as they did warn me when I bought it that it does not play computer games on it I did not care as I am not into PC games.

If that fails then I shall probably go to my local library who also have computers there and maybe one of the staff will help me. :D Fingers crossed.

Once again thank you....You are all so kind.

Bec :)

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Mon January 23rd, 2012, 10:16 am

If your Kindle is connected to the internet, your computer has nothing to do with it. You don't need a computer to download Kindle books to your Kindle unless you have no 3G or wi-fi. You're making this more complicated than it needs to be by involving a computer. Even if a computer is necessary, it shouldn't matter where or how your it was made. Trust me, I've had plenty of home made computers.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon January 23rd, 2012, 12:57 pm

[quote=""rebecca""]Thanks everyone.

I have a feeling that the problem may be my desk top computer in that it was not made in America...I had a computer shop make it here from scratch. So it is not a dell or a HP.......I did register it on Amazon and the books do download but unfortunately it simply won't download into the kindle.

My brother in law is coming up in a month or two I shall ask him to look at it and see if he can get it working and I shall phone the computer company and ask if my PC can download kindle material as they did warn me when I bought it that it does not play computer games on it I did not care as I am not into PC games.

If that fails then I shall probably go to my local library who also have computers there and maybe one of the staff will help me. :D Fingers crossed.

Once again thank you....You are all so kind.

Bec :) [/quote]

Someone at the library should be able to help you! Way to not give up!!
Brenna

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue January 24th, 2012, 4:22 am

I did it!!! I did it!!! :D :D :D

I phoned Amazon....or rather they phoned me and walked me through it twice :o yes, I forgot everything the first lady told me once our convo ended and so I phoned again and the another man walked me through it step by step and I have now 6 books on my kindle...YAY!!!!

And er...yep I was making a really easing instrument hard. Now I am over the moon and its nearly 100 degrees but I don't care!!!! :D :D :D

Mythica
Bibliophile
Preferred HF: European and American (mostly pre-20th century)

Post by Mythica » Tue January 24th, 2012, 9:25 am

Hooray! I'm glad you sorted it out, enjoy your Kindle!

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Tue January 24th, 2012, 9:42 am

Hurrah! :D Well done and enjoy! You'll never look back.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue January 24th, 2012, 1:22 pm

Yayayayayayayayayay! *Does a little happy dance for you!* Have fun!
Brenna

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Tue January 24th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Yay! Happy freebie shopping. Watch out for those older classics, they are addictive to download them all.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

EC2
Bibliomaniac

Post by EC2 » Tue January 24th, 2012, 8:21 pm

That's good to know. Now you can go ahead and enjoy the Kindle Experience!
:)
Les proz e les vassals
Souvent entre piez de chevals
Kar ja li coard n’I chasront

'The Brave and the valiant
Are always to be found between the hooves of horses
For never will cowards fall down there.'

Histoire de Guillaume le Mareschal

www.elizabethchadwick.com

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue January 24th, 2012, 11:41 pm

lol thank you everyone and yes I did a happy dance..I felt like I had won X lotto :D I wish lol.

I read on my kindle last night but I have to admit I will still buy books in that there is something comforting in holding a well loved book with all its creases and folds and dog eared pages because I keep losing my book-marks :o ...But I will still enjoy my kindle and all the freebies which so many post about YAY!

Return to “E-Readers and E-Book Issues”