Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Book Shopping Today (2012 Edition)

For discussions of historical fiction. Threads that do not relate to historical fiction should be started in the Chat forum or elsewhere on the forum, depending on the topic.
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun January 15th, 2012, 2:51 pm

[quote=""SGM""]Does the Kindle e-book lending the US use Overdrive?

Some libraries here do have e-book lending using Overdrive but they are ePub books downloaded via Overdrive and it works really well especially on the iPad. Without the iPad you have to download to PC and then transfer to device. I was wonderng whether, if or when, we get the Kindle-Library agreement here, it will supplement that, or if those libraries already supplying ebooks have to stick with just that or be able to supply both ePub and Kindle. If Kindle is done via Overdrive then I don't see a problem for them to supply both. However, if Kindle uses a different system then I can't see those libraries already using Overdrive having the finance (at the moment) to set up another system as well.

Luckily, living in London, I belong to several different libraries although only my most local one provides ebooks at the moment. The others are still experimenting with e-audio-books with the intention of going down the ebook-path shortly.

But once a library belongs to one system, it is hard for them to get out of that agreement. One of my libraries were signed up to an ebook provider which changed its platform and that has not been a happy experience for the library or the end-user. We got used as guinea-pigs while the provider sorted out its problems with the software. I gave up in the end and told them that I really didn't have the time to be installing and uninstalling software and losing (large) files into the ether of my computer and that they should just tell me when they had got it working properly. I think that has delayed that library from going down the ebook route as yet.[/quote]

Yes to the Overdrive, at least in my county system. It's very easy, but you can't download them via the Whispernet ammy provides with the Kindle. You have to be connected to Wifi, or save to Kindle via USB (a snap). From what I understand, each library contracts for "X" # of books, genres, etc. I go to the Overdrive site from my library and only see what's availableto King County Library, which IMHO is pretty damned good ;)
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sun January 15th, 2012, 4:05 pm

Last night I ordered "Shadowfever" and "Dreamfever" by Karen Marie Moning - urban fantasy. And today I got "Before I go to Sleep" by S J Watson, a modern thriller.
Last edited by Madeleine on Sun January 15th, 2012, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sun January 15th, 2012, 6:01 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Yes to the Overdrive, at least in my county system. It's very easy, but you can't download them via the Whispernet ammy provides with the Kindle. You have to be connected to Wifi, or save to Kindle via USB (a snap). From what I understand, each library contracts for "X" # of books, genres, etc. I go to the Overdrive site from my library and only see what's availableto King County Library, which IMHO is pretty damned good ;) [/quote]

OK. That sounds pretty much like the way I do it here -- just not in Kindle format and I have to use Adobe Digital Editions to do it. So there is hope that Kindle will just be added as another device to use which is good.

I must admit the Overdrive application on the iPad is pretty good because I can do it through my WiFi without having to connect to my PC (hence don't have to scrabble around to plug the USB in) plus it remembers my library and my library card number. It took me a while to figure it out because I asked Google the wrong question, ie I assumed I still needed ADE but in fact I just had to download the Overdrive App.
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sun January 15th, 2012, 9:37 pm

Since it was free today I couldn't resist, Henry the VIII and the Zombie Army by Leigh Jenkins

:D :o :p

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri January 20th, 2012, 2:15 pm

Just got Edith Wharton's "Ethan Frome" - it's her 150th birthday this week! And I also got a free copy of "The Hound of the Baskervilles" via a magazine.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Fri January 20th, 2012, 11:11 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]Since it was free today I couldn't resist, Henry the VIII and the Zombie Army by Leigh Jenkins

:D :o :p [/quote]

That is the right price for something like that. How is it?
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri January 20th, 2012, 11:40 pm

[quote=""Nefret""]That is the right price for something like that. How is it?[/quote]

Hilarious and thankfully very very very short.

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Sat January 21st, 2012, 12:28 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Hilarious and thankfully very very very short.
[/quote]

Can you tell me how you get the spoiler cover? I've searched the FAQ but don't see it. I'm sure I'm missing something. Thanks.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat January 21st, 2012, 12:39 am

[quote=""TiciaRoma""]Can you tell me how you get the spoiler cover? I've searched the FAQ but don't see it. I'm sure I'm missing something. Thanks.[/quote]

First hit [, it's to the right of the 'p' key. Type in spoiler and then hit ], which is the next key over. At the end of your spoiler hit [, then type in /spoiler and the ] key.

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Sat January 21st, 2012, 1:34 am

[quote=""Misfit""]First hit [, it's to the right of the 'p' key. Type in spoiler and then hit ], which is the next key over. At the end of your spoiler hit [, then type in /spoiler and the ] key.[/quote]

Thank you!

Return to “General Discussion”