Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat December 31st, 2011, 6:11 pm

[quote=""Ash""]The Artist is incredible - its been a while since I have been so pleasantly surprised by a movie.[/quote]

Brilliant isn't it? One of the best movies I've seen this year.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun January 1st, 2012, 12:47 am

I was just amazed by it. I saw it in a packed theatre filled with people of all ages and everyone seemed spellbound by it. Many even gave it a standing ovation at the end! (and it wasn't them just trying to get out to the restrooms first)

So if that was the best, I saw the worst today. We both enjoyed Valentine's Day, so decided to try this directors new one, New Years Eve. I knew it got bad reviews, but so did Valentines Day. Oh my. Not sure I can explain how bad, but you can go to Rotten Tomatoes and see why it was rated 6%

Think I'll go see Artist again tomorrow, to clean my palate!

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun January 1st, 2012, 3:59 pm

I've been trying to drag my daughter to see The Artist as an excuse to see it again, but think I'll give up and go anyway!

We watched a delightful little indie comedy on Netflix last night called Cherry about a naive Ivy League freshman who falls for a troubled older student. Funny and touching.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Sun January 1st, 2012, 5:30 pm

Watched a few movies with the kids over the weekend: the original "Tron" and "Dolphin's Tale".

Elysium
Reader

Post by Elysium » Sun January 1st, 2012, 6:22 pm

Gladiator. Haven't seen it for some time and it's still good :)

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon January 2nd, 2012, 7:47 pm

I recently Netflicked up "Vision", the story of Hildegaard von Bingen. One of the more striking things about this film is its lack of violence and warfare; for a historical bio set in the 1000s, this isn't particularly typical. It's not an exceedingly quiet film; it stays with you for the action (though nothing gets blowed-up-real-good, politically and spiritually it does not sit still) and performances. I enjoyed it, but not with a depth of emotional attachment. Lovely to look at, and easy to respect for its production and the story itself. Reasonably true to history. Particularly interesting if you read about Hildegaard herself, either before or after watching the film.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Mon January 2nd, 2012, 7:51 pm

500 Days of Summer. Not as funny as I'd hoped. Good leads though. Definitely what I'd call an unusual or quirky film.

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Tue January 3rd, 2012, 12:21 am

[quote=""DianeL""]I recently Netflicked up "Vision", the story of Hildegaard von Bingen. [/quote]

I've been a fan of her music since listening to Feather on the Breath of God CD on the radio one day. Didn't realize there was a movie, I'll have to find it (there is a book, but there is so little known about H that the book is filled with speculation, and was rather boring) You might be interested in this article I just read today:

http://www.limelightmagazine.com.au/Art ... nised.aspx

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Sat January 7th, 2012, 1:01 am

Blades of Glory. Not as hopelessly ridiculous as I thought it would be. Not rocket science either, but the cast was good.

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Sat January 7th, 2012, 2:06 am

War Horse.

Spoiler alert. Skip the next para if you don't want to read a general outline of the plot

Nice movie, good for older kids. This was quite a bit like Black Beauty. Good horse. Loved by a series of owners. Has horse friend who dies. Survives abusive treatment. Reunion with owner at end of story.

It also had quite a few scenes set in the midst of WWI and made me think of my two grandfathers who fought and were wounded in France during the Great War. One of my grandfathers was in the cavalry; that first cavalry charge in the movie was horrific.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”