Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Brenna's 2011 Booklist

Keep track of your reading for 2011 here! One thread per member, please.
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed November 30th, 2011, 3:01 am

[quote=""Vanessa""]I think it's actually 'Time of Singing' and 'For the King's Favor' which are the same book.[/quote]

Yep. I believe the US publisher, Sourcebooks wanted a new name.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Thu December 1st, 2011, 1:29 am

Yep I checked and I have read 'A Time for Singing' although I love the cover of 'For The Kings Favour' :D but I wont buy it again.

Bec :)

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon December 5th, 2011, 8:38 pm

#78 N. Gemini Sasson's Robert the Bruce Book 1
#79 N. Gemini Sasson's Book 2
Brenna

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Tue December 6th, 2011, 1:57 am

[quote=""Brenna""]#78 N. Gemini Sasson's Robert the Bruce Book 1
#79 N. Gemini Sasson's Book 2[/quote]

I have both these books on my TBR list but wont start them until the final one has been released. I have no idea when that will be? Released as in paper back for I don't own a kindle.

It is the same with Robyn Young's Insurrection,that is also on my TBR list but I still don't know when the sequels will hit the shelves. It is very annoying to the reader not to be given a time schedule as to release dates. I wish authors would include the info on their websites....Oh well I guess it's a waiting game.

Bec :)

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Tue December 6th, 2011, 2:12 pm

They probably don't know when their books will be released. I'm not sure how much control authors actually have over that and besides, most of them don't know when they will finish writing a book, so it's all a guessing game. It's a conspiracy I tell ya!!
Brenna

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon December 12th, 2011, 2:45 pm

#80 Wilbur Smith's The River God. Very well written about a time period in Egypt that I was not familiar with.
#81 SKP's Dragon Lair. Easy reading!
Last edited by Brenna on Tue December 13th, 2011, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brenna

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Mon December 19th, 2011, 9:18 pm

#82 Wilbur Smith's The Seventh Scroll. Way better than The River God, at least IMHO.
Brenna

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Thu December 29th, 2011, 10:38 pm

#83 Dorothy Dunnett's Game of Kings. Started off rough and there were some parts where I was confused, but when I got it, it was good!
#84 Helen Castor's She-Wolves. I thought it was nicely done but it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know. It's not the author's fault though, these time periods are difficult to delve into because the personal information is scarse or non-existent.
Last edited by Brenna on Fri December 30th, 2011, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brenna

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Fri December 30th, 2011, 3:38 pm

So I decided that I started enough books that I didn't finish for whatever reason (mostly I wall-banged them) and those should count towards the books I read. So here is that list:

#85 As Meat Loves Salt-wall banged
#86 The Conqueror by Georgette Heyer-got distracted but only had less than 100 pages left and well, I knew how the story ended
#87 The Master of Verona-I really liked where this book was going but then got on my Arthur-Elizabeth challenge again and got distracted. I plan on going back to this book in 2012

I know there are more but that would require me getting out from under my nice warm, heated blanket and going to look. Post more later!
Brenna

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Fri December 30th, 2011, 5:33 pm

I didn't like As Meat Loves Salt either, I think it was a BOTM earlier this year! I did finish it but found it a struggle.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Return to “Member Reading Logs - 2011”