Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Found Coins May Unveil a Lost Viking King

Here's your spot to post and discuss history-related news items.
Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Found Coins May Unveil a Lost Viking King

Post by Rowan » Tue December 20th, 2011, 10:18 pm

A hoard of silver found by a metal detector has provided intriguing new clues to a previously unknown Viking king, the British Museum announced on Wednesday.

Found some 16 inches beneath the surface of a field in Silverdale, a village in north Lancashire, UK, the hoard materialized as Darren Webster, a 39-year-old stonemason, lifted a lead box signalled by his detector.

A shower of 201 pieces of silver revealed an abundance of arm-rings, brooch fragments, ingots and coins.
Full story (with photos!)

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Wed December 21st, 2011, 3:15 am

You find the greatest stories like this!

SM
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Wed December 21st, 2011, 3:39 pm

Would be nice to see them all shined up.

A few problems with the writing of the article (Alfred the Great as a Viking) but a very cool find. It's nice that the money will be split between the finder and the landowner.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Wed December 21st, 2011, 4:28 pm

Way cool. Thanks for the link, Rowan!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu December 22nd, 2011, 4:05 am

Posted by LoveHistory
(Alfred the Great as a Viking)
Poor old Alfred would be turning in his grave if it hadn't already been ransacked by cultural vandals in the 18th century. Alfred the Great was the only Anglo-Saxon king who successfully kept the Vikings at bay!

Carla
Compulsive Reader

Post by Carla » Thu December 22nd, 2011, 3:13 pm

[quote=""annis""]Posted by LoveHistory

Poor old Alfred would be turning in his grave if it hadn't already been ransacked by cultural vandals in the 18th century. Alfred the Great was the only Anglo-Saxon king who successfully kept the Vikings at bay![/quote]

His son and daughter gave them a run for their money too :-)
PATHS OF EXILE - love, war, honour and betrayal in Anglo-Saxon Northumbria
Editor's Choice, Historical Novels Review, August 2009
Now available as e-book on Amazon Kindleand in Kindle, Epub (Nook, Sony Reader), Palm and other formats on Smashwords
Blog: http://carlanayland.blogspot.com

Rowan
Bibliophile
Interest in HF: I love history, but it's boring in school. Historical fiction brings it alive for me.
Preferred HF: Iron-Age Britain, Roman Britain, Medieval Britain

Post by Rowan » Thu December 22nd, 2011, 5:46 pm

[quote=""SonjaMarie""]You find the greatest stories like this!

SM[/quote]

A lot of the time these are articles someone else finds and posts on a forum I belong to that covers a very wide range of topics. They have a section devoted to history/archaeology/paleontology. Occasionally, I'll stumble across one on my own.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Mon January 2nd, 2012, 4:42 pm

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. Geez, I wish that stuff was under my grass! The only cool thing I've found in my southeastern US yard is a 19th c horseshoe and some square edged nails. I'm always hoping for an arrowhead--the ten-year-old in me will never die!

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Mon January 2nd, 2012, 7:37 pm

Alisha Marie, my brother is an archaeologist, and I can tell you one possible place for arrowhead hunting. He grew up finding Civil War bullets and a few arrowheads; apparently it was inspiring. :) And the area hasn't even been paved over with a mall parking lot, either ... !

He once plotted with me a future archaeology project. I'd broken a figurine, and he got excited and said, "bury the hand and the body in one place, and the elbow somewhere completely different. It'll drive them mad 500 years from now, figuring out how the connecting piece went astray."

We have a very sad sense of humor in my family.

His own finds, digging a garden in my yard one year: 1960s and 1970s soda and beer bottle caps and can tabs in varying states of decomposition.

Apart from that, the cat buried (now beneath my air conditioning outdoor fan unit) is probably the most interesting artifact ...
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

Return to “History in the News”