Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What are you reading?

Retired Threads
annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 7:28 pm

"Vizard Mask" is one of my favourite Restoration novels- DN really captures the times and the people. She certainly doesn't pull any punches when it comes to the reality of prison life or the bloody aftermath of Monmouth's failed rebellion.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 8:23 pm

[quote=""annis""]"Vizard Mask" is one of my favourite Restoration novels- DN really captures the times and the people. She certainly doesn't pull any punches when it comes to the reality of prison life or the bloody aftermath of Monmouth's failed rebellion.[/quote]

Now you've piqued my interest! I haven't read any of Diana Norman's novels, but I keep hearing good things. And the Restoration is one of those overlooked periods that I've noticed.

Now reading The Anglo Files: A Field Guide to the British by Sarah Lyall

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri October 24th, 2008, 1:59 am

Not HF - Neil Gaiman's new one, The Graveyard Book, which is an interesting horror tale told in the vein of The Jungle Book. Marketed as YA, but no more so than his others.

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 24th, 2008, 2:06 am

[quote=""annis""]"Vizard Mask" is one of my favourite Restoration novels- DN really captures the times and the people. She certainly doesn't pull any punches when it comes to the reality of prison life or the bloody aftermath of Monmouth's failed rebellion.[/quote]

That one crossed my path at Amazon UK and peaked my interest. A bit spendy though for a used book. I might try for an ILL and see what happens. They've been surprising the bloody h*** out of me where my ILL's have been coming from. Anchorage, Omaha, New Hampshire, Oklahoma (I'm in Seattle).

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

Post by diamondlil » Fri October 24th, 2008, 2:08 am

I've requested The Vizard Mask from the library.

On the train home tonight I will be starting Faefever by Karen Marie Moning.
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri October 24th, 2008, 2:12 am

My Cousin Rachel by DduM.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri October 24th, 2008, 8:46 am

I've just started Daphne by Justine Picardie, which is based on a true story about Daphne du Maurier and her obsession with the Brontes, a sort of literary mystery.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Fri October 24th, 2008, 11:32 pm

I started Gildenford by Valerie Anand today at lunch.

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Fri October 24th, 2008, 11:40 pm

Good Duke Humphrey by Brenda Honeyman, about Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester and the earlier years of the Wars of the Roses.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat October 25th, 2008, 12:15 am

[quote=""Tanzanite""]I started Gildenford by Valerie Anand today at lunch.[/quote]

Do you have the other two in the series? I have them but I needed to put some space between Harold the King before I got into that period again. I read Gildenford and Harold too close to each other. Way too much dejavu/been there done that.

Return to “Archives”