Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Ciao

Don't forget to read the rules before posting!
TiciaRoma
Reader

Ciao

Post by TiciaRoma » Tue November 15th, 2011, 8:48 pm

I've been becoming increasingly addicted to opening up this tab on my bookmarks bar and think it's time to properly introduce myself.

My name is Tish Oliver and I live in Virginia. The hint of Italian in my screen name is from the glorious three years I lived in Rome when my husband was stationed at the US Embassy there (1999-2002).

I was destined to be a book lover from the time my 4th grade teacher read us a chapter a day, every day. I discovered the local library and never looked back. My first teenage job was reshelving books in that same library and I later got my MLIS and worked for 25 years as a librarian (Children's/YA, Reference, and Elementary School).

My favorites are historical fiction. Britain, Japan, Italy, and the US are my favorite settings. A patron had to practically hit me over the head with Here Be Dragons before I finally read it (the original cover art featured a dragon flying through the sky and I don't love fantasy). I've since become more open to listening to recommendations from others. That's the main reason I'm here.

It's working! I've read several good books recommended on this site in the past couple of weeks. :)

MLE (Emily Cotton)
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: started in childhood with the classics, which, IMHO are HF even if they were contemporary when written.
Favourite HF book: Prince of Foxes, by Samuel Shellabarger
Preferred HF: Currently prefer 1600 and earlier, but I'll read anything that keeps me turning the page.

Post by MLE (Emily Cotton) » Wed November 16th, 2011, 1:26 am

Welcome, Tish! If you like Italy, have you read the Second Duchess (new) or Prince of Foxes (old)? Both set in renaissance Ferrara, and the latter also in Rome.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Wed November 16th, 2011, 1:39 am

welcome aboard. I'm also a YA librarian :) love my job.

Post early and often!
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Wed November 16th, 2011, 1:49 am

Hi Tish, glad to hear more about you and glad you enjoyed Here be Dragons. One of my favorites.

MLE is right, Second Duchess is very good.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Wed November 16th, 2011, 2:07 am

[quote=""MLE""]Welcome, Tish! If you like Italy, have you read the Second Duchess (new) or Prince of Foxes (old)? Both set in renaissance Ferrara, and the latter also in Rome.[/quote]

I discovered Second Duchess here and finished it a few days ago. I quite enjoyed it--shades of Rebecca. I'll check out Prince of Foxes for my TBR pile.

Thanks for the welcome.

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Wed November 16th, 2011, 2:14 am

Welcome, Tish, and enjoy.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Wed November 16th, 2011, 2:18 am

[QUOTE=Divia;94023]welcome aboard. I'm also a YA librarian :) love my job.

I really like the good YA HF novels, but I'll stay tuned here to hear about the new ones. I have a tidy little shelf or two of my YA favorites ready to entice my grandkids (readers all) when they come. I've slacked off on professional reading since my retirement.

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Wed November 16th, 2011, 2:26 am

[QUOTE=Misfit;94024]Hi Tish, glad to hear more about you and glad you enjoyed Here be Dragons. One of my favorites.

HBD is my favorite book (it succeeded Gone with the Wind). I re-read the trilogy every other year or so. Of course naming my favorite book is like trying to name my favorite grandchild--I love 'em all.

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Wed November 16th, 2011, 2:29 am

[quote=""donroc""]Welcome, Tish, and enjoy.[/quote]

Thank you.

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Wed November 16th, 2011, 8:27 am

Welcome, Tish! I hope you enjoy it here.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

Return to “Introduce Yourself”