Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

donroc
Compulsive Reader

Post by donroc » Fri November 11th, 2011, 1:22 pm

Last night I watched Black Death starring Sean Bean and Eddie Redmayne set during the 14th century. Violent, bleak, but held my interest.

Bodo the Apostate, a novel set during the reign of Louis the Pious and end of the Carolingian Empire.

http://www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXZthhY6 ... annel_page

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri November 11th, 2011, 5:05 pm

Wednesday, saw Margin Call with Keven Spacey and Jeremy Irons about a Goldman Sachs-type company and how they ruined the economy. {sigh}
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Fri November 11th, 2011, 7:02 pm

I had a harder time with Black Death - the whole beautiful woman = essence of evil thing seems out of touch, never mind being a little chauvanist. I went in seeking a story about the Black Death, but it was really not about that at all. The Navigator did it very well indeed, and was wonderful looking to boot.

I've been watching Blackadder. Again.
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat November 12th, 2011, 3:16 pm

[quote=""DianeL""]I've been watching Blackadder. Again.[/quote]

Adore Blackadder! The last episode of the WWI series makes me cry every time.

DianeL
Bibliophile

Post by DianeL » Sat November 12th, 2011, 4:18 pm

It does me too, but it also makes me laugh first. Such a wonderfully done series. :)
"To be the queen, she agreed to be the widow!"

The pre-modern world was willing to attribute charisma to women well before it was willing to attribute sustained rationality to them.
---Medieval Kingship, Henry A. Myers

http://dianelmajor.blogspot.com/
I'm a Twit: @DianeLMajor

SonjaMarie
Bibliomaniac

Post by SonjaMarie » Sat November 12th, 2011, 6:14 pm

I love "Blackadder" don't care for the WWI season though. Still can't believe that's the same guy who plays House (not Rowan of course, Hugh Laurie. Well I know it's true, it's just that I find him so much better looking now!).

SM
Last edited by SonjaMarie on Sat November 12th, 2011, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum
My Booksfree Queue

Original Join Date: Mar 2006
Previous Amount of Posts: 2,517
Books Read In 2014: 109 - June: 17 (May: 17)
Full List Here: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com/ ... p?p=114965

SGM
Compulsive Reader

Post by SGM » Sat November 12th, 2011, 6:24 pm

[quote=""fljustice""]Wednesday, saw Margin Call with Keven Spacey and Jeremy Irons about a Goldman Sachs-type company and how they ruined the economy. {sigh}[/quote]

I know what you mean. They are known as Goldmine Sachs over here -- or rather, they were!
Currently reading - Emergence of a Nation State by Alan Smith

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Sat November 12th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Sat down and watched the adaptation of Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. I have extremely mixed feeling about this, and not all of them good.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sun November 13th, 2011, 10:09 pm

Saw Almodovar's newest The Skin I Live In with Antonio Banderas. Fascinating and shocking. I'd like to see it again for all the stuff I probably missed from the cinematography while concentrating on the subtitles and story.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon November 14th, 2011, 6:37 pm

I love all the Blackadders, but think Blackadder goes Forth is particularly brilliant - nothing captures the insanity of the Great War like this painfully funny yet poignant black comedy.

Just watched Creation, an excellent movie about Charles Darwin and the development of the Origin of Species. It focuses on Darwin's close family life, particularly the crisis of faith which followed the death of his favourite daughter, Annie. (It is based on the non-fiction book Annie's Box which I read some years ago) Despite having the usual complement of nannies and nursemaids requisite in a well-to-do Victorian household, Charles Darwin and his wife Emma were enlightened and loving parents who took a great interest in their children's development.

Was staggered to learn that there was great difficulty in having this film released in the Staes because of opposition from creationists. How any sane, rational person can possibly believe such claptrap is beyond me, I'm afraid.

Return to “Movies, Television, Radio, and Music”