Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? November 2011

Retired Threads
Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri November 11th, 2011, 3:04 am

Finished the Women of Eden (damn, he makes the likes of JR Ewing and Blake Carrington look like wussies) and now on to Eden Rising by Marilyn Harris.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Vanessa
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: The Farm at the Edge of the World by Sarah Vaughan
Interest in HF: The first historical novel I read was Katherine by Anya Seton and this sparked off my interest in this genre.
Favourite HF book: Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell!
Preferred HF: Any

Post by Vanessa » Fri November 11th, 2011, 8:28 am

I've just started The Night of the Mi'raj by Zoe Ferraris, a mystery set in Jeddah in Saudi Arabia.
currently reading: My Books on Goodreads

Books are mirrors, you only see in them what you already have inside you ~ The Shadow of the Wind

scubachick420
Scribbler

Post by scubachick420 » Fri November 11th, 2011, 11:22 am

[quote=""Misfit""]Finished the Women of Eden (damn, he makes the likes of JR Ewing and Blake Carrington look like wussies) and now on to Eden Rising by Marilyn Harris.[/quote]

Wow, you are just ripping right through that series. I can see why! I am just about finished with the first one and picking up #2 at the library today. Glad it stays good - lots to look forward to reading!

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Fri November 11th, 2011, 1:27 pm

[quote=""scubachick420""]Wow, you are just ripping right through that series. I can see why! I am just about finished with the first one and picking up #2 at the library today. Glad it stays good - lots to look forward to reading![/quote]

No lie, I'm on book #5 now. Prepare for for serious heartbreak ahead...
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Fri November 11th, 2011, 3:58 pm

[quote=""Ash""]Thanks for the info re Pratchett's book. It really is sad, but nothing can be done, except reread his past glory (fortunately for us fans, there are a ton of books in that category). [/quote]

Very true Ash, it'll take me years to re-read his back catalogue so plenty to keep me happy :) I've been on nights this week so not much chance for reading, am about a quarter of a way through 'How to survive the Titanic or the sinking of J Bruce Ismay' by Frances Wilson and finding the background on Ismay interesting.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Fri November 11th, 2011, 5:11 pm

Finished Ancient Farming and Celtic Sexuality. Working on an ARC of Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie...very good so far!
Last edited by fljustice on Fri November 11th, 2011, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Fri November 11th, 2011, 5:12 pm

[quote=""Misfit""]No lie, I'm on book #5 now. Prepare for for serious heartbreak ahead...[/quote]

I love when good books are part of a series. I usually feel compelled to re-read the series just before the new book comes out. Not a problem with older books, though. I'll have to look for the Eden books.

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Fri November 11th, 2011, 9:46 pm

Reading Prince Philip: The Turbulent Early Life of the Man who Married Queen Elizabeth II by Philip Eade (NF) with Anne Perry's Defend and Betray for fiction. The Prince Philip book is very good, taking the time to look at the relationship that he had with his mother, Princess Alice, and also his term in WWII -- no desk job for him! Then it will be onto Eden Rising by Marilyn Harris.

scubachick420
Scribbler

Post by scubachick420 » Sat November 12th, 2011, 10:57 am

[quote=""TiciaRoma""]I love when good books are part of a series. I usually feel compelled to re-read the series just before the new book comes out. Not a problem with older books, though. I'll have to look for the Eden books.[/quote]

I am with you about re-reading a series. I am waiting for GRR Martin to finish his before restarting since the last wait was so long. I just finished "This Other Eden" and agree with Misfit - it's a great series. now on to the next one...

Renee

Post by Renee » Sat November 12th, 2011, 12:57 pm

I've recently completed The Song Catcher, by Marilyn Crumb. Kind of quasi HF as the story begins and ends present day, but alternates between present day and the main characters ancestors told in their own chapters. I love the Appalachian's, so setting was my reason of choice. I am currently reading On Agate Hill by Lee Smith.
Renee

Return to “Archives”