Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What Are You Reading? November 2011

Retired Threads
TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Wed November 9th, 2011, 5:04 am

Just finished The Road to Avalon by Joan Wolf. I have the next two on order. Totally different approach than Beloved Exile, but also very well done. This approach is much more believable, in terms of motivation, than the movie storyline.

Next up, Second Duchess, on my Kindle. :)

javagirl
Reader

Post by javagirl » Wed November 9th, 2011, 5:05 am

[quote=""cw gortner""]
On a personal note, sorry I've been so absent. I'm doing copyedits to THE QUEEN'S VOW, my novel on Isabella of Castile, out June 12, 2012; turned in Spymaster 2, tentatively titled THE TUDOR DECEPTION; and am elbow-deep in research for BORGIA'S DAUGHTER. But I'll try to visit more frequently :) [/quote]

Those are awesome accomplishments C.W.! Congrats. I do appreciate your posts so it is nice when you do get to check in with us.

Lynn

LoobyG
Compulsive Reader

Post by LoobyG » Wed November 9th, 2011, 4:14 pm

[quote=""Ash""]

I didn't care for his last two. Does this one come close to his earlier genius?
[/quote]

I'm afraid not Ash, I loved it because I love the wackiness of Discworld and Commander Vimes, but I enjoyed it less than his earlier works, in fact I liked it less than Unseen Academicals, which isn't one of my favourites. Terry's style has changed and become more storytelling, IMHO and I really liked his witty asides and satire which dominate his other stuff. Will stop rambling now :D

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Wed November 9th, 2011, 4:47 pm

Yes, sadly Terry's illness is clearly starting to affect his work IMO and it has been noticeable that his last few novels, though still good, aren't quite what his earlier books were. He is no longer able to actually write, but has to dictate his work /and or use voice recognition software. It's a real tragedy that someone of his talents should be struck down with early onset Alzheimers.

He did an interview recently with the Guardian which I posted elsewhere, but I'll add it here for anyone interested.
Terry Pratchett- A Life in Writing:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2011/ ... fe-writing

Nefret
Bibliomaniac
Favourite HF book: Welsh Princes trilogy
Preferred HF: The Middle Ages (England), New Kingdom Egypt, Medieval France

Post by Nefret » Thu November 10th, 2011, 6:53 am

Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding
Into battle we ride with Gods by our side
We are strong and not afraid to die
We have an urge to kill and our lust for blood has to be fulfilled
WE´LL FIGHT TILL THE END! And send our enemies straight to Hell!
- "Into Battle"
{Ensiferum}

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Thu November 10th, 2011, 2:10 pm

I am just starting Part III of Serena by Ron Rash. This is one the most intense novels I've read in a very long time - plot line, characterization, setting, and Rash's master skill level of writing are just phenomenal.

A New York Times notable book of the year
"Award-winning and New York Times bestselling novelist Ron Rash conjures a gothic tale of greed, corruption, and revenge with a ruthless, powerful, and unforgettable woman at its heart, set amid the wilds of 1930s North Carolina and against the backdrop of America's burgeoning environmental movement."
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Telynor
Bibliophile

Post by Telynor » Thu November 10th, 2011, 4:33 pm

Right now it's As Always, Julia -- a really wonderful nonfiction collection of letters between Julia Child and Avis DeVoto, which are lively, informative, slightly catty, and show how much love and care there can be between friends. Also really gets into the nitty gritty about book publishing and all, which I found fascinating.

TiciaRoma
Reader

Post by TiciaRoma » Thu November 10th, 2011, 11:40 pm

Just finished Second Duchess on my Kindle. It was a nice break from medieval England and a fun mystery. I didn't figure it out too much before the end. DuMaurier's Rebecca was always a favorite of mine and I thought this book, too, did a great job conveying the uneasy place of a second, perhaps less-loved, insecure wife. I also appreciated the italiani phrases used liberally throughout the book ;)

I also finished CD book in my car. This was on loan from the library. It was The Girl of His Dreams (A Commissario Guido Brunetti Mystery). Not HF. Set in Venice. The reader got the Italian accents perfectly and, this book, too had lots of Italian sprinkled throughout. I appreciated the well-portrayed Italians, and their distinctive attitudes, as well of the sense of place. I thought the resolution of the mystery was rather unsatisfying.

Tonight's reading will be back in England. Either The Stolen Crown or the sequel to The Road to Avalon--can't remember the title off hand. So many books, so little time :)

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Fri November 11th, 2011, 1:49 am

Unfortunately I haven't had time to read anything this past week...I did manage to finish 'Before I go to Sleep' 2 weeks ago...It was a good book, but I did figure out the ending a quart of the way through.

Now I hope to start 'Lionheart' soon :D

Bec :)

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Fri November 11th, 2011, 2:25 am

Thanks for the info re Pratchett's book. It really is sad, but nothing can be done, except reread his past glory (fortunately for us fans, there are a ton of books in that category).

Vonnegut's bio is out and I can hear it calling my name all the way from the bookstore. I suspect I'll be spending the long weekend with that one.

Return to “Archives”