Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

What features must a good author website have?

diamondlil
Bibliomaniac

What features must a good author website have?

Post by diamondlil » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 11:23 am

I had reason today to attempt to contact an author, so I tried to find their website. A search on google didn't bring up their website on the first page, so I tried the most obvious URL to see what it bought up, and yes I got a website, BUT, and it's a big but, the site was terrible!

I will say there was a cool widget that showed all the book covers, but other than that there was just one page that said a little bit about both books (linked to Amazon) and then that was it. No way to contact the author, no individual pages per book, no attempt at a nice looking layout.

It turns out that the book has it's own site, but there is not a link to that, and the book site is very pretty, but not full of info either.

I think that there are a lot of Aussie authors in particular who still haven't figured out online marketing, as many do not have any webpage at all, let alone good ones.

Looking at this site tonight has prompted me to ask, what features should a good author's website have? What features are optional?
My Blog - Reading Adventures

All things Historical Fiction - Historical Tapestry

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.

Edith Wharton

pat
Avid Reader

Post by pat » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 12:12 pm

I thought it was just me! I had looked up an author or two, only to find either they didnt have a website or if they did it held no info at all!

They should have
1) Author info
2) Book info: maybe snippets of them with front covers.
3) CONTACT page!

All tied up in a relevent to genre graphics!

Well, thats IMHO!
A good book and a good coffee, what more can anyone want? xx

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 12:59 pm

Most of all, I want to see an up-to-date listing of the author's books, with descriptions and excerpts. If it's HF, it's nice to see something about the historical background of the books and perhaps a reading list. But to me the excerpts are the most important thing, especially if the books aren't widely available in brick-and-mortar bookstores for me to skim through.

What drives me crazy are author websites where you click on "news" and you get a list of signings from 2005. Or when authors give their websites a cutesy holiday theme, and they forget to change it once the holiday's passed.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 1:43 pm

3) CONTACT page!
All excellent suggestions, but I'd also add not only the contact page but someone who responds to the email contacts. FGS you would not believe how many times I've clicked on a webpage and sent an email off with an inquiry and no one ever responds. Darned irritating, let alone unprofessional. If nobody pays attention to the email, why the heck do you put it there? :mad:

Leyland
Bibliophile

Post by Leyland » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 3:21 pm

[quote=""pat""]I1) Author info [/quote]

I'd like to know a bit about an author's educational and career background as it relates to their talent for successful storytelling. Some authors may have an extensive academic background related to literature and history or another discipline, while others may be thoroughly self-educated regarding historic and social events. A longtime career in an unrelated field may have preceded a writing career and adds to the experience that gives the writer a greater creative base.

I'm not nosy - I just like to get an idea about the extent to which intelligent creative people get prepared for a writing career, planned or not. Think Michael Crichton - medical background not really used, but what great stories!

Other author info I like to know might include other interests/hobbies and general region where they primarily live. Awards and other distinguishments are good to know about.
We are the music makers, And we are the dreamers of dreams ~ Arthur O'Shaughnessy, Ode

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 3:37 pm

I like it when authors share what books or authors they've read and enjoyed over the years or were influences on them.

LCW
Compulsive Reader

Post by LCW » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 5:17 pm

I like a photo of the author, their pets, places they've travelled. One author, whose book I loved, put photo's of Wales and her travels during her research for the novel. That was really interesting. Also little tidbits of their lives, whatever they are willing to make public. Extra trivia or details about the periods they write about are also helpful. One historical romance author has an amazing section about life in the middle ages. It's really helpful background information. Also thier reading recommendations, books they love, etc. If I love an author's writing I'd also love to hear about what they love to read themselves.

The above are extra icing but the bare bones should be the bibliography, professional bio, tour details, etc. And, very important, make the information current!!! No 2, 3, 4, even five year old information! I hate that!

I have to say that a nicely done informative website gives me a very favorable impression of an author. As an example, a few weeks ago I checked out C. W. Gortner's site and it made me go out and buy his book on Juana la Loca. I'd been "meaning" to do it for months but checking out his website is what made me actually do it.
Books to the ceiling,
Books to the sky,
My pile of books is a mile high.
How I love them! How I need them!
I'll have a long beard by the time I read them. --Arnold Lobel

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 6:02 pm

What a great question!

For me, the most important thing is a complete and up-to-date listing of all of the author's books with brief synopses. Some authors include a link to read the first chapter, which is a plus. Since I get very impatient reading anything of much length online, I don't usually read these, but if an author is self-published, it can give a snapshot of the writing style and tell me if the book is an obvious wallbanger or not.

Second is an attractive, professional-looking design. Really. It's probably unfair, but if the design is awkward, unattractive and sloppy, I'm not going to have much faith in the author's writing ability. An ugly, hard-to-navigate website just screams "amateur".

One of my favorite author websites is William Dietrich's. The color scheme looks really beautiful to me, and there are some fun features that are easy to use.

I don't care for the fancy front pages with a lot of animated bells and whistles, music, etc. I go to an author website for information, not a cute film clip, and these just impede my progress into the site.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

michellemoran
Bibliophile

Post by michellemoran » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 7:22 pm

Darned irritating, let alone unprofessional. If nobody pays attention to the email, why the heck do you put it there?
I've had that happen several times. :confused: I'll email an author to thank them for blurbing my book - and nothing. Clearly, they have a personal address which my publishing house used (and would probably give me if I asked), but the one of their website is totally useless.

AS for what I like to see on other author's sites:

1. Professional design. It doesn't have to be the most awesome design in the world, but seriously... it shouldn't be something cobbled together by the author

2. A section for international books. I love seeing international covers!

3. A clear (and working ) contacts page

4. An intro page that loads quickly. If it has flash, the viewer should be able to click through to the rest of the site without waiting for the flash to end.

5. Photos - I LOVE photos (as you may be able to tell from my website - and much to my husband's dismay, who has to take all of them ;) )

6. Background info on how the author researched the book/came to write it.
Visit MichelleMoran.com
Check out Michelle's blog History Buff at michellemoran.blogspot.com

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu October 23rd, 2008, 8:57 pm

I'd also like to know what the author likes to read. What were their favs growing up. Who influenced them. I dont think it hurts to throw that info in.

Oh hello can we update our site? Christ on a cracker I am so sick of going to this one authors website and NEVER getting new information. Its been the same stuff for over a year. YAWN.

Upcoming releases are always nice. If I like the author I'll buy another book buy them. All they have to do is tell me. ;)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

Return to “Chat”