Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Game of Thrones: Books

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Fri October 28th, 2011, 10:26 pm

I'm 60% done with A Clash of Kings. Last night I skimmed through a couple of chapters...ZZZZZZZ!!! I think one of my problems is that I can't read a lot during the school year and with the POV character format I forget what was happening to that character in his/her previous chapter.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Sat October 29th, 2011, 2:57 am

[quote=""Susan""]I'm 60% done with A Clash of Kings. Last night I skimmed through a couple of chapters...ZZZZZZZ!!! I think one of my problems is that I can't read a lot during the school year and with the POV character format I forget what was happening to that character in his/her previous chapter.[/quote]

I found that a problem too, especially when Martin introduces weird characters or storylines such as the er prophet of drowning(my term) who doesn't baptise but drowns his...victims. Why bother putting that in? Who knows? and I was beginning not to care! I had to skim otherwise I'd go loopy :eek: heaven forbid!..Instead I skim those chapters I don't like and read the characters that I do like....And many the time I got lost too..I wish he would tighten his storylines and reach a conclusion..He would have been finished if he had done this......me thinks :p :D

Bec :) Good luck with the rest Susan :)

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat October 29th, 2011, 12:31 pm

I was just reading the Goodreads thread about A Clash of Kings and very much agreed with the person who said Tyrion, Jon, and Arya were their favorite characters. We just got a three month promo of HBO and there is some way I can watch A Game of Thrones on it. I am so looking forward to seeing Tyrion played by Peter Dinklage. The Wall part of this series with Jon Snow intrigues me. Arya is one spunky, intelligent, and brave little girl. I think these characters are well developed and could sustain a novel solely about them while some other POV characters couldn't.

And yes, Rebecca, the drowned god part is definitely not one of my favorites. When Theon Greyjoy, whose uncle is Rebecca's "prophet of drowning," became a POV character, I had to do some research to recall who he was.

There are just too many names mentioned (especially the retainers and knights of all the kings and factions.) I did not have these feelings when reading the first book of the series. Having said all this, there are parts of the book I do like and the series has piqued my interest enough that I will continue it, but I will read a few other books (Lionheart, The Dovekeepers, and The Rose Garden for sure) before I read the third book.
Last edited by Susan on Sat October 29th, 2011, 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Sat October 29th, 2011, 1:11 pm

Glad you'll be able to see Game of Thrones, Susan, it was shown here in the spring and was very well-received although, like the books ,there are some bits you might want to hit fast-forward! personally I find Arya a great big pain in the A, but Tyrion is fab and steals every scene he is in, and the Wall is beautifully done, although I don't think there was enough of Jon Snow,I'm sure he's in the book more. But generally it's a pretty faithful adaptation, and looks amazing.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat October 29th, 2011, 2:13 pm

[quote=""Madeleine""]Glad you'll be able to see Game of Thrones, Susan, it was shown here in the spring and was very well-received although, like the books ,there are some bits you might want to hit fast-forward! personally I find Arya a great big pain in the A, but Tyrion is fab and steals every scene he is in, and the Wall is beautifully done, although I don't think there was enough of Jon Snow,I'm sure he's in the book more. But generally it's a pretty faithful adaptation, and looks amazing.[/quote]

Now I just have to find the time to watch it! Arya's character in A Clash of Kings is much more interesting than in A Game of Thrones.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Sat October 29th, 2011, 4:15 pm

[quote=""Susan""]There are just too many names mentioned (especially the retainers and knights of all the kings and factions.) I did not have these feelings when reading the first book of the series.[/quote]

His habit of naming every retainer and describing their arms and flag/shield drove me crazy! I did serious skimming when he got into that. I have to give the guy credit though...he must have huge files stuffed with all these details (or one enormous database.) I know how many file drawers/computer files I use for my own modest efforts. He must have to rent extra storage!
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

rebecca
Compulsive Reader

Post by rebecca » Mon October 31st, 2011, 12:29 am

[quote=""Susan""]I was just reading the Goodreads thread about A Clash of Kings and very much agreed with the person who said Tyrion, Jon, and Arya were their favorite characters. We just got a three month promo of HBO and there is some way I can watch A Game of Thrones on it. I am so looking forward to seeing Tyrion played by Peter Dinklage. The Wall part of this series with Jon Snow intrigues me. Arya is one spunky, intelligent, and brave little girl. I think these characters are well developed and could sustain a novel solely about them while some other POV characters couldn't.

And yes, Rebecca, the drowned god part is definitely not one of my favorites. When Theon Greyjoy, whose uncle is Rebecca's "prophet of drowning," became a POV character, I had to do some research to recall who he was.

There are just too many names mentioned (especially the retainers and knights of all the kings and factions.) I did not have these feelings when reading the first book of the series. Having said all this, there are parts of the book I do like and the series has piqued my interest enough that I will continue it, but I will read a few other books (Lionheart, The Dovekeepers, and The Rose Garden for sure) before I read the third book.[/quote]

When it comes to the Greyjoy's I do get a bit lost as I tend to skim quite a lot-they are simply not my favourite characters. Arya would be better if Martin would move on a bit and allow her to mature to her teens at least...but as I said before, just how may times is she going to be kidnapped?

I do like the chapters you mentioned(tho I skim thru Arya)but I also find the character of Jaime Lannister and Brienne interesting and also Stannis who I can't wait to see in the second season of GOT on TV.

Speaking of which I check several times a week for when the DVD of GOT will be released and so far there is very little info. Does anyone know when the DVD will finally be released? Surely before Christmas? I wish now that I had taped it but I assumed it would be released soon after going to air. It seems I was wrong.

Bec :)

Madeleine
Bibliomaniac
Currently reading: "Mania" by L J Ross
Preferred HF: Plantagenets, Victorian, crime, dual time-frame

Post by Madeleine » Mon October 31st, 2011, 10:00 am

I don't know where you live Bec but the DVD came out in the UK not that long after it aired here, around August, so I'm surprised it hasn't been on general release.
Currently reading "Mania" by L J Ross

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Mon October 31st, 2011, 5:55 pm

You guys don't know how lucky you are :) Here in New Zealand we've only just got the TV series- watched the first two episodes last night as a start-up double. It always takes ever so much longer for books, movies and TV series to make it Down Under- sigh .... we really are the poor cousins in this respect.
Last edited by annis on Mon October 31st, 2011, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Tue November 1st, 2011, 3:09 pm

[quote=""annis""]You guys don't know how lucky you are :) Here in New Zealand we've only just got the TV series- watched the first two episodes last night as a start-up double. It always takes ever so much longer for books, movies and TV series to make it Down Under- sigh .... we really are the poor cousins in this respect.[/quote]

And it really shouldn't be! Not with satellite communications and POD printing. No country should be last in line with today's technology. Of course, you might be letting the rest of us separate the grain from the chaff, so you only get the best. ;)
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Return to “Historical Fantasy”