Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Terrible News

Ludmilla
Bibliophile

Post by Ludmilla » Thu October 20th, 2011, 1:53 pm

Sorry to hear about your father, Rebecca. My husband is going through this with his father (combination of lung cancer with Parkinsons). Will be thinking of you and hoping your father can be made comfortable and you can spend some quality time together.

fljustice
Bibliophile

Post by fljustice » Thu October 20th, 2011, 2:45 pm

So sorry to hear the news, Rebecca. My mother died of pancreatic cancer that spread to her liver and lungs, so I know what you are going through. Be assured, you and your family are in our thoughts.
Faith L. Justice, Author Website

Margaret
Bibliomaniac
Interest in HF: I can't answer this in 100 characters. Sorry.
Favourite HF book: Checkmate, the final novel in the Lymond series
Preferred HF: Literary novels. Late medieval and Renaissance.

Post by Margaret » Thu October 20th, 2011, 3:59 pm

So sorry to hear this, Rebecca. I hope you will be able to spend a beautiful Christmas together this year. From going through something similar with my mother-in-law, I'm aware that even the types of cancers usually considered very aggressive do not progress as quickly in older people as in younger. Hopefully, that will be the case with your father.
Browse over 5000 historical novel listings (probably well over 5000 by now, but I haven't re-counted lately) and over 700 reviews at www.HistoricalNovels.info

princess garnet
Bibliophile

Post by princess garnet » Thu October 20th, 2011, 6:56 pm

Oh, that's terrible! :( I'm sorry.

annis
Bibliomaniac

Post by annis » Thu October 20th, 2011, 7:07 pm

So sorry to hear that, Bec. I feel for you and your family as I went through something similar when my father was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour.

SarahWoodbury
Avid Reader

Post by SarahWoodbury » Thu October 20th, 2011, 8:24 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this, Rebecca. And from the other posts, so many of us have lost loved ones to cancer. My father died of cancer in August and only discovered that his liver was full of tumors the week before he died.

I'd like to suggest, as well, that you ask what exactly is the point of the biopsy? If it's terminal anyway, do they need to put your father through that because it's not a nice procedure. My mother asked the oncologist, just before my father's scheduled biopsy for his liver, what it would gain them . . . and if my father were his father, would he do it? The answer was 'no'. And so my parents chose not to do the biopsy. It changed nothing.

All our thoughts and prayers are with you.

LoveHistory
Bibliomaniac

Post by LoveHistory » Thu October 20th, 2011, 8:30 pm

I'm so sorry, Bec. I'll be praying.

Divia
Bibliomaniac

Post by Divia » Thu October 20th, 2011, 11:01 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your father. My grandfather had liver cancer. I also agree that there is no point to the biopsy.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

And never be hesitant to share with us. We are a community that loves our members. :)
News, views, and reviews on books and graphic novels for young adult.
http://yabookmarks.blogspot.com/

LGWalker
Scribbler

Post by LGWalker » Fri October 21st, 2011, 1:28 am

Rebecca, my thoughts and prayers are with your father, you and your family. Collective positive energy is an amazing thing ... and there is much of that here for your father and you today. God is great.

Alisha Marie Klapheke
Avid Reader

Post by Alisha Marie Klapheke » Fri October 21st, 2011, 1:49 am

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Feel free to vent to us anytime.

Return to “Chat”