Welcome to the Historical Fiction Online forums: a friendly place to discuss, review and discover historical fiction.
If this is your first visit, please be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.
You will have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.
To start viewing posts, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Lionheart by Sharon Kay Penman

Want to read a certain historical novel with other members and discuss it as you go along? Start a thread here!
Tanzanite
Bibliophile

Post by Tanzanite » Wed October 12th, 2011, 2:08 am

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I'm enjoying this on the whole, but I'm finding parts a little irritating. I just finished the scene where the characters discuss the massacre of the Jews at York, and the dialogue diverges into a history lesson about medieval anti-Semitism which, while informative, had a distinct "I researched this, and by God, I'm going to make use of it" quality. And while I'm fully prepared to accept the fact that Eleanor of Aquitaine was an extraordinary woman, I don't need the narrator constantly telling me that.[/quote]

I had that feeling often (which is why I didn't love it).

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Wed October 12th, 2011, 2:13 am

Well, I didn't pick up the visible research or on the overdone Eleanor thing. Reads like all of her other books do.

BTW I have an extra copy; if anyone's interested, message me.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Wed October 12th, 2011, 4:57 pm

There were some phrases she used over and over again but I learned to gloss over those. It did get a bit tedious.
Brenna

boswellbaxter
Bibliomaniac

Post by boswellbaxter » Sat October 15th, 2011, 3:28 am

I'm liking it better now. Berengaria has finally come to marry Richard, and the characters are talking to each other as people actually talk instead of just providing exposition for the benefit of the reader.
Susan Higginbotham
Coming in October: The Woodvilles

http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/
http://www.susanhigginbotham.com/blog/

Misfit
Bibliomaniac

Post by Misfit » Sat October 15th, 2011, 12:42 pm

[quote=""boswellbaxter""]I'm liking it better now. Berengaria has finally come to marry Richard, and the characters are talking to each other as people actually talk instead of just providing exposition for the benefit of the reader.[/quote]

Getting detailed background information across to the reader can't ever be an easy task for an author, especially really complex historical situations.
At home with a good book and the cat...
...is the only place I want to be

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sat October 15th, 2011, 11:06 pm

Today I went to Sharon's reading and book signing at the Princeton Barnes and Noble. Great turnout, great audience questions, and it was great to meet Sharon again. Sharon remembered me (and where I lived which is close by to the bookstore...and wrote a wonderful inscription in my Lionheart book) and she recognized some of her Facebook friends. She must have a great memory. I loved listening to her talk about her research and her characters. Sharon also had high praise for the book she is currently reading, The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman, about Masada. It's one I want to check out.

EC, she mentioned you. Someone asked her if she had ever read any other novels about Eleanor of Aquitaine. She replied that she felt so close to Eleanor that she couldn't read another author's work about her. She mentioned that you had told her the same thing about William Marshal and also mentioned that you were writing an Eleanor trilogy.
Last edited by Susan on Sat October 15th, 2011, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

Ash
Bibliomaniac

Post by Ash » Sun October 16th, 2011, 2:39 pm

Ah, so thats the mystery book! Excellent - I'd heard about it a while ago, thinking I might like to read it. I read a great book called Masada back when I was in HS; I still remember some of those scenes like I read it yesterday.

Brenna
Bibliophile

Post by Brenna » Sun October 16th, 2011, 10:06 pm

Thank goodness, the mystery is solved! SKP has been keeping us on a string for almost a week now!!! I will have to check this book out
Brenna

Susan
Bibliomaniac

Post by Susan » Sun October 16th, 2011, 10:57 pm

[quote=""Brenna""]Thank goodness, the mystery is solved! SKP has been keeping us on a string for almost a week now!!! I will have to check this book out[/quote]

Yes, Sharon was asked about the mystery book and told us about it. She said that she was going to blog about The Dovekeepers.
~Susan~
~Unofficial Royalty~
Royal news updated daily, information and discussion about royalty past and present
http://www.unofficialroyalty.com/

The Medieval Chronicle

Sharon Kay Penman's LionHeart

Post by The Medieval Chronicle » Mon October 17th, 2011, 4:55 pm

I'm about 1/2 way and I'm thoroughly enjoying getting to know a "different" Ricahrd. So far LionHeart is character driven which makes it nice re-visiting all the historical characters.

Return to “Book Buddies”